Performance Speed mods?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Performance Speed mods??

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Performance Speed mods??

I have an airaid intake, throttle body spacer, borla headers, borla cat back exhaust.... I've already stroked the engine and all that jazz...but I'm wondering if there are any other performance mods that don't cost too much (since I've already dropped 10k+ on this TJ over the years in addition to what my dad did with it)

Unread 02-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How about an LSx engine? Why are you worried about making your Jeep faster?
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh sorry, I covered my reasons for speed in another post.. I own a 1970 Baracuda dragster with a 504 ci big block in it...right now the Cuda and Wrangler are my babies, but I want to be able to race the TJ more often i bumped the TJ up to 4.9 litres which is intensely quick. Mainly...I'm a gearhead and I like workin on things to make em faster/more efficient. The jeep is so much fun to work on and even though i have the cuda and a BMW...the Jeep is my daily driver
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm trying to keep the same Engine in my TJ
I've got 3 other TJ engines...all with zero miles on them....they're just extras (the I6 TJ engine is such a versatile machine...strong and incredibly reliable)
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To me, building a Wrangler TJ to race is like building a Corvette to go rock crawling and hardcore offroading. Neither makes any sense to me.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I entirely understand that, I just come from a Rally background and I use my TJ occasionally for trail challenges for money...I like to have a high top speed in the open sections and the most power possible...I don't really intend to drag race my TJ...i have the cuda for the track, but i'd like to have some extra goodies to pop under the hood to work on to keep me busy and set my tj apart from all those other ones out there.
Unread 02-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
Stefan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey jerry, have you considered side mounting your Gerry can? I've seen it done on a few TJ's and it looks rather nice...if i look for a minute i may be able to find the example of it on the forum.
Unread 02-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hey jerry, have you considered side mounting your Gerry can?
No, the rocks would puncture it or rip it right off. I don't even carry it when the trail is like this one (Sunbonnet in Johnson Valley).

By the way, those fender flares got mostly ripped off that day & they are now completely gone.
cimg2621.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
Bane7962

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
To me, building a Wrangler TJ to race is like building a Corvette to go rock crawling and hardcore offroading. Neither makes any sense to me.

Sad thing too, Stingrays are gorgeous...
Bane7962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Starting with a different motor is usually the best option if you desire more power.

If you already stroked the I6 and you want to keep it, you'll probably want to look at forced induction next.

Nothing will be cheap, that is for sure.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I have an airaid intake, throttle body spacer, borla headers, borla cat back exhaust.... I've already stroked the engine and all that jazz...but I'm wondering if there are any other performance mods that don't cost too much (since I've already dropped 10k+ on this TJ over the years in addition to what my dad did with it)
you've discovered what most around here already knew. The 4.0L isn't made for speed and dropping $10k in exhaust, throttle body spacers and intakes is a complete waste of money.

#1 best use of money = regear.
#2 best use of money = V8 swap.

should have read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...intake-558437/
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cam and headwork. Unlike most on this board, I believe there is some effeciency to be gained in the I6. Even at the more modest RPM band.

But unless I trip over another engine growing behind my shed, I'm not going to start tearing another engine apart.
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ51 View Post
Cam and headwork. Unlike most on this board, I believe there is some effeciency to be gained in the I6. Even at the more modest RPM band.

But unless I trip over another engine growing behind my shed, I'm not going to start tearing another engine apart.
Do you know what cam works well?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #14
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-Q View Post
Why are you worried about making your Jeep faster?

This is really a silly question, everyone on this forum modifies their jeep, its only logical that it would carry over into the more power mods. Did the OP say he wanted to go faster or wanted more power? You can actually use more power on the trails too, not just to do top speed runs down the interstate.

To the OP, the 4.0 is a great motor for leaving it stock and putting around, it is not a good candidate for hop up parts unless you just want it to look cool when you pop the hood. Your money would be better "seat of the pants felt" to be spent on making your jeep lighter. Since an increase in weight will make your jeep accelerate slower and the 4.0 is a waste of money, sink it into all the aluminum parts you can.

Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No I don't have any experience modifying the Jeep I6 (alot of V8s, some Light & Heavy Diesels, a few turbo 4s).

You need to look at your application.. RPM range, Budget (and rule) limitations. Plus anything much beyond a stock cam will require a reprogramed ECM.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/Jeep4.0Camshafts.htm

Tags
fast tj , performance , speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.