Pavement Ends Sprint Top on a TJ flaps violently - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Pavement Ends Sprint Top on a TJ flaps violently

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
mdskier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pavement Ends Sprint Top on a TJ flaps violently

Maybe I missed something, but does anyone else have this problem with the Pavement ends frameless top???

With the full top on, if I so much as open a window half way, the top flaps violently and makes so much noise you would think it will rip off.

Even with the windows closed, the top is a lot more noisy than I anticipated. I got the impression from searching the forum that the Pavement Ends frameless top was actually more quiet than the factory top. I respectfully disagree.

mdskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
mdskier
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Surprised there are no comments on this yet.

FYI, I called Bestop and they said I should open the rear window to "reduce some of the air getting trapped in the top".
They also said that no frameless top will be quieter than the factory soft top and that as this frameless top "ages" (stretches and shrinks) it will "form more to the roll cage and not flap as much".

Not sure I buy any of that it will be quieter as it gets older crap.

I like the idea of the frameless top because I can remove the windows and still have what is essentially a bikini top. But, I am not sure that is worth having all this noise when I just open a window. I am also concerned the flapping will reduce the life of the top. Not sure how the zippers and seams can take this amount of movement.

Not happy with this top at all.
mdskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
fireman3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got rid of my Rampage frameless for the same reason. Couldn't hear myself think !
fireman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
mtnecho
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same top and it can be noisy at highway speeds with windows opened....this is true of ALL soft tops. But, going 75 on the Gulf Freeway from Houston to Galveston with the windows up and A/C on? Much, much quieter than the stock, framed top I had previously.

A frameless top suffers from the same issue a framed top does...running windows down or A/C on recirculate creates a constant low pressure zone (or vacuum) inside of the Jeep sucking the side windows in and allowing the top section to be affected more by the inconsistent low pressure zone created on the outside by the air moving over the top. Not trying to be rude but it's simple aerodynamics.

Close the windows, put the A/C on fresh air, and you create a higher pressure inside the jeep that will keep everything tighter and quieter.

And just remember it's a soft top. ;-)

Also, one thing the Pavement Ends doesn't have that the trektop comes with is the "top prop" (or whatever) flat bow that goes over the driver/passenger seats to tighten the top against sagging from rain and the general looseness that seems to be required for the sun rider feature. I just got the version made by Skid Row and am trimming it down so the arch won't be quite as big.
mtnecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I guess noisy is very subjective. I do find my framed top noisy at all. 01 frame with 01 4 ply sailcloth (previous) 04 3 ply sailcloth (current). From posts I understand that the 97-00 thinner fabric can flap more and be more noisy.

With regards to the top prop. I do have one of those. I decided to give it a try as I did have some flapping in the front section (still would not say it was loud). The instructions do indicate it needs to be trimmed. If left too long, it will create a big ugly bow. After cutting it, the top will streatch and eventually become slightly loose. The resultant tapping of the fabric on the fiberglass prop started to bother me so I stopped using it for a summer. Last year I decided to put a strip of foam across the prop and that did take care of the tapping noise.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
PA_LJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best advice...take that awful monstrosity off and give it to me.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.