Pavement Ends Sprint Top Question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Muddeprived

Pavement Ends Sprint Top Question

I been running the sprint top for a while now and it's awesome but I'm either not thinking right or missing something. Everything is peachy and works great except when I remove all the windows and flip back the sunroof. When I do this, the rear straps that attach near the tailgate suddenly become super loose and detach, flipping n floppin in the wind. They are super tight when the sunroof is closed. I started looking around and noticed there are flaps sewn onto the inside of the top, going along the rear bars where the side windows go. The flaps are about 3" x 24" and have a strip of velcro going along the bottom. It's supposed to attach to SOMETHING but I cannot figure out what. I originally thought they were supposed to wrap around the roll bar and then attach to the outside of the top (which has velcro and is used to attach to the windows) and that would make sense cuz it would secure the top to the roll bar and stop the straps from coming loose BUT they don't even come close to reaching around the roll bar to attach. They are 3" short. I can't find any other purpose for these velcro flaps on the inside.

I emailed Pavement Ends about it but figured I'd post on here for a quicker response. I also checked the PDF installation instructions and it's not totally clear cuz the pictures kinda suck.

http://www.carid.com/images/pavement...structions.pdf

Anyone running the top and know what to do about this?

The straps that come loose when sunroof is flipped back:

The velcro flap on the inside that I'm talking about:

Trying to pull the flap around the rollbar....fail:

So what is that flap for and why do the straps come loose when flipping back the sunroof?

2001 XJ Sport 4.5" LA

1999 TJ 2.5L 5spd 2" lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-01-2015, 08:39 AM
tennaloma
2008 JK Wrangler 

Did you get a response fro PE? I just bought a sprint Top for my 08 JK, and I WISH it had Velcro. The buckles on my straps won't snug down at all. I'm afraid to take the sides and back off. I just emailed PE, too, but I don't see a lot of threads about the straps.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Muddeprived

Yes I got a reply. They said the velcro straps are to keep the zippers from scratching up the roll bar when the windows are off. The velcro strap covers the zipper. It does not go around the roll bar. They also said that the two center straps (for overhead roll bar) are to be used with roll bar padding and if no padding is available then you have to use some kind of thicker material. They will not tighten or stay tight on bare metal. I had pieces of the inner roll bar foam padding left from years ago and I cut two pieces that fit around the overhead roll bar where the two straps attach to and they are nice and snug now.

Be sure you are routing the straps through the buckle correctly. I'm sure you did but the first time I did it I had em routed wrong and the strap would not tighten down.

Mine's a TJ so it might be different from your JK.

2001 XJ Sport 4.5" LA

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2015, 02:01 PM
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting, the bikini top on my TJ has those same flaps, as well as flaps which snug-fit into the channel above the door surrounds similar to where the full top would go, these flaps have the other end of the velcro in case the door surrounds aren't there so they can be used to wrap the roll cage and connect to the other flaps. As it is, the "inner" flaps aren't used and I just tucked them up out of the way. IIRC mine is a Bestop.
You could use some foam plumbing pipe insulation to act as a compressible material on the roll cage to help snug down the straps if you don't have the original cage pads. .
post #5 of 7 Old 10-05-2015, 08:03 AM
tennaloma
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. I tried per their instructions, then a few other ways. I guess I'll rig something to clamp it down. It doesn't look like a well-thought-out plan for driving without the sides and back. It does fit well with it all buttoned up, though.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennaloma View Post
Thanks. I tried per their instructions, then a few other ways. I guess I'll rig something to clamp it down. It doesn't look like a well-thought-out plan for driving without the sides and back. It does fit well with it all buttoned up, though.
One thing I noticed with the sides and back off is that water pools near the back when it rains. Of course you should have the windows on when it rains but I get caught without em too many times. Once I pull out of the parking lot all that water drains right into the back of the jeep.

A strap or two on the back side bars would prevent this but I can't complain cuz it's not supposed to be run in rain without the windows.

2001 XJ Sport 4.5" LA

post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2015, 08:52 AM
TheBoogieman
Dying for a beer!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Once I pull out of the parking lot all that water drains right into the back of the jeep.
A strap or two on the back side bars would prevent this but I can't complain cuz it's not supposed to be run in rain without the windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
$1K for pinion seal and axle seals? Do you wear a ski mask while you work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.