passenger side airbag disable - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > passenger side airbag disable

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-18-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
greta
2004 WJ 

passenger side airbag disable

my first tj (2000) was a bone stock that had a on/off switch for passenger airbag.

my current tj (2004) is fully loaded however does not have a passenger on/off switch.

i would like to be able to disable it for the young one.

i have read some threads about putting in sim switch for passenger airbag after disconnecting it but it kind of seems like a pain...

on this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/di...25/index2.html someone mentioned that the dealership was required to add a disable switch... anyone know if this is true?

greta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wish I could help you.. I just wanted to comment I find it odd they removed the ability to do that... perhaps legal reasons with people forgetting to turn it back on? I know most new cars have a weight sensor in the passenger seat now...
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The passenger airbag switch was only required to be fitted in Jeeps sold without a back seat.

No reason you can't fit one though. If you can't get a new switch there are plenty on ebay and you could try places like D A V E Y S J E E P S . C O M - Parts Specials

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Cesaros
2000 TJ Wrangler 

remove whatever fuse controls it? You may run the risk of disabling both airbags...but it may be worth looking into.
Cesaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
The passenger airbag switch was only required to be fitted in Jeeps sold without a back seat.

No reason you can't fit one though.
you don't by any chance have an idea how i would go about fitting one do you?

obviously i would have to get the switch, but do you think that there is an unused harness just waiting to be used or would this be one of those deals where there is a lot of wire hacking going on?
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesaros View Post
remove whatever fuse controls it? You may run the risk of disabling both airbags...but it may be worth looking into.
your exactly right. by disabling the two fuses it kills both airbags. plus i am pretty sure that it would provide a constant check engine light as well.
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
ohtenwillys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

no check engine light.. just the airbag light.. i removed the airbag module too anyway.. im so surprised i didnt get a punch in the face when i hit a rock too hard
ohtenwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #8
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the wiring diagrams and connector locations, the connector should be there for it, so you'd simply have to buy one and fit it. Hopefully someone who has done this will pop along and state if it is as easy as it would seem.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
Looking at the wiring diagrams and connector locations, the connector should be there for it, so you'd simply have to buy one and fit it. Hopefully someone who has done this will pop along and state if it is as easy as it would seem.
thanks friend
Unread 04-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtenwillys View Post
no check engine light.. just the airbag light.. i removed the airbag module too anyway.. im so surprised i didnt get a punch in the face when i hit a rock too hard
i am not positive but i think that i read that you have to be going so fast for the airbag to even deploy regardless of how hard you hit something.

i am sure someone will come along and correct me if i am wrong.

as for d/c'ing both AB's... i may try that, however i would like to explore the option of installing a switch first as that seems more sensible.
Unread 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
nidus72

Any follow-up info on this item? I have a 2003 TJ Sport without the switch and I'm interested in getting one and trying to install it. I've read somewhere else that you need the switch as well as some module behind the glovebox? Any updates would be appreciated.

Nidus72
nidus72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
greta
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidus72 View Post
Any follow-up info on this item? I have a 2003 TJ Sport without the switch and I'm interested in getting one and trying to install it. I've read somewhere else that you need the switch as well as some module behind the glovebox? Any updates would be appreciated.
no updates yet... i am still interested in doing it if you figure out how to though. there are some threads that said that the module in the glovebox is already there because all cars made after 199? required them by law... not sure if that is true though.

i took my dash off to see if it was already pre-wired for a switch; it wasn't...

i am a little hesitant to start splicing wires to the airbag system.

unless i can find a idiot-proof method of doing it then i will likely end up pulling the fuses or taking it to the dealer or adding it to the lists of things that i always wanted to do but never did
Unread 08-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My SE had the airbag switch. Backseats were optional for the SE. Im looking for the answer as well

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.