Passenger and Driver seat swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger and Driver seat swap?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Passenger and Driver seat swap?

I have my Jeep at a shop right now, so I can't check to see if this would work. Would it work (temporarily) to put my passenger seat on my driver seat slider? I know the recliner handle would be hard to get to, but my driver side seat really has almost no cushion left and my passenger seat is great. I have some JK seats I was going to put in (if they fit), but was wondering about a temporary solution, as I want to drive my Jeep, the shop that has it, has had it a very long time(another thread) and I really, really want to drive my Jeep comfortably if possible. Thanks JF

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try just swapping the cusions. The seat belt would be wrong your way.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is the seat belt even attached to the seat? I thought it would be bolted to the floor....

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
Try just swapping the cusions. The seat belt would be wrong your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceGirl View Post
Is the seat belt even attached to the seat? I thought it would be bolted to the floor....
I remember the cushions are different, IIRC it would have to be the whole seat. The seat belts are mounted to the sliders, so I think it would just be swapping the whole seat on to the other slider.
Unread 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not really a good option. The seat flip lever would be on the inside. The seats really aren't square on the mounts, they're offset or tilted a bit. I looked at this a couple of times and it just doesn't look like it would work out without butchering something.
NakedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The outside belt is bolted to the sport cage and the inside belt is bolted to the bottom of the seat frame...IIRC
Unread 02-21-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
WhrDLMI
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I actually did something similar to this... The OE seats in my 97 were trashed. Like REALLY trashed. I purchased a set of cloth ones out of a 2000 were in infinitely better shape except for the butt cushion for the driver's side. After pulling apart the passenger's side seat of my OE set, I found that this cushion actually wasn't that bad despite the fact that the vinyl upholstery was toast. Long story short, I was able to pull the upholstery off of the "new" DS seat and replace the cushion. I wish I had some photos to show for the effort but I do not.

The PS foam cushion itself is a little different in shape to accommodate the seat belt clip but not enough to make a swap to the DS side impossible. I bet none of you could even tell I had a PS cushion in my DS seat if I didn't tell you.

The swap works you just gotta disassemble the whole mess; hog rings and all. It isn't that hard just takes time...
WhrDLMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhrDLMI View Post
I actually did something similar to this... The OE seats in my 97 were trashed. Like REALLY trashed. I purchased a set of cloth ones out of a 2000 were in infinitely better shape except for the butt cushion for the driver's side. After pulling apart the passenger's side seat of my OE set, I found that this cushion actually wasn't that bad despite the fact that the vinyl upholstery was toast. Long story short, I was able to pull the upholstery off of the "new" DS seat and replace the cushion. I wish I had some photos to show for the effort but I do not.

The PS foam cushion itself is a little different in shape to accommodate the seat belt clip but not enough to make a swap to the DS side impossible. I bet none of you could even tell I had a PS cushion in my DS seat if I didn't tell you.

The swap works you just gotta disassemble the whole mess; hog rings and all. It isn't that hard just takes time...
Cool, I think I might try that, unless I can get my other seats in soon.
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #9
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I swapped the cushions, it didn't take me too long either, it's a really good temporary solution (I guess it would be fine as a permanent solution, as long as you don't have too many passengers).
Unread 10-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i love looking up old threads and finding answers! im swapping cushions this weekend!
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcus View Post
i love looking up old threads and finding answers! im swapping cushions this weekend!
it really helps, after I did it I was kind of leaning towards the inside of the Jeep a little as the passenger cushion was worn a little, but it was still way more comfortable
Unread 10-17-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Anyone ever take some memory foam and put in their seats, maybe on top of the factory foam. I was thinking about this myself?
duanewhatley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.