Passenger and Driver seat swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger and Driver seat swap?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Passenger and Driver seat swap?

I have my Jeep at a shop right now, so I can't check to see if this would work. Would it work (temporarily) to put my passenger seat on my driver seat slider? I know the recliner handle would be hard to get to, but my driver side seat really has almost no cushion left and my passenger seat is great. I have some JK seats I was going to put in (if they fit), but was wondering about a temporary solution, as I want to drive my Jeep, the shop that has it, has had it a very long time(another thread) and I really, really want to drive my Jeep comfortably if possible. Thanks JF

jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Try just swapping the cusions. The seat belt would be wrong your way.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Is the seat belt even attached to the seat? I thought it would be bolted to the floor....

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
Try just swapping the cusions. The seat belt would be wrong your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiceGirl View Post
Is the seat belt even attached to the seat? I thought it would be bolted to the floor....
I remember the cushions are different, IIRC it would have to be the whole seat. The seat belts are mounted to the sliders, so I think it would just be swapping the whole seat on to the other slider.
Unread 02-21-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
NakedJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not really a good option. The seat flip lever would be on the inside. The seats really aren't square on the mounts, they're offset or tilted a bit. I looked at this a couple of times and it just doesn't look like it would work out without butchering something.
NakedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The outside belt is bolted to the sport cage and the inside belt is bolted to the bottom of the seat frame...IIRC
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
WhrDLMI
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I actually did something similar to this... The OE seats in my 97 were trashed. Like REALLY trashed. I purchased a set of cloth ones out of a 2000 were in infinitely better shape except for the butt cushion for the driver's side. After pulling apart the passenger's side seat of my OE set, I found that this cushion actually wasn't that bad despite the fact that the vinyl upholstery was toast. Long story short, I was able to pull the upholstery off of the "new" DS seat and replace the cushion. I wish I had some photos to show for the effort but I do not.

The PS foam cushion itself is a little different in shape to accommodate the seat belt clip but not enough to make a swap to the DS side impossible. I bet none of you could even tell I had a PS cushion in my DS seat if I didn't tell you.

The swap works you just gotta disassemble the whole mess; hog rings and all. It isn't that hard just takes time...
WhrDLMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhrDLMI View Post
I actually did something similar to this... The OE seats in my 97 were trashed. Like REALLY trashed. I purchased a set of cloth ones out of a 2000 were in infinitely better shape except for the butt cushion for the driver's side. After pulling apart the passenger's side seat of my OE set, I found that this cushion actually wasn't that bad despite the fact that the vinyl upholstery was toast. Long story short, I was able to pull the upholstery off of the "new" DS seat and replace the cushion. I wish I had some photos to show for the effort but I do not.

The PS foam cushion itself is a little different in shape to accommodate the seat belt clip but not enough to make a swap to the DS side impossible. I bet none of you could even tell I had a PS cushion in my DS seat if I didn't tell you.

The swap works you just gotta disassemble the whole mess; hog rings and all. It isn't that hard just takes time...
Cool, I think I might try that, unless I can get my other seats in soon.
Unread 02-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I swapped the cushions, it didn't take me too long either, it's a really good temporary solution (I guess it would be fine as a permanent solution, as long as you don't have too many passengers).
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i love looking up old threads and finding answers! im swapping cushions this weekend!
Unread 10-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #11
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcus View Post
i love looking up old threads and finding answers! im swapping cushions this weekend!
it really helps, after I did it I was kind of leaning towards the inside of the Jeep a little as the passenger cushion was worn a little, but it was still way more comfortable
Unread 10-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Anyone ever take some memory foam and put in their seats, maybe on top of the factory foam. I was thinking about this myself?
duanewhatley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.