Passenger Door Leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger Door Leaking

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
Mhaddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Passenger Door Leaking

Having some trouble with water leaking into my '04 TJ on the passenger door. I was doing some spray tests last week but had to cut it short as temperatures were dropping, but water appears to be seeping in along the weather stripping near the door handle but it will run along and really only come in at any volume near the bottom (see attachment 1 but imagine on the passenger side).

I'm also not 100% sure it's just the weather stripping; water also may be coming in somewhere along where the hardtop meets the tub and then running along the inside lip of the body door frame and then coming inside (see attachment 2).

Has anyone else had similar problems, or know of a fix? I've tried a temporary DIY solution of putting some self-adhesive foam tape along the problem areas to try and create a better seal, but I checked this morning... still leaking .

reg_dsc055661.jpg   2004-jeep-tj-rocky-mountain-edition_4596300.jpg  
Mhaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, the tub is lipped there, so it would be pretty difficult to leak through there unless the door was so misaligned that there was a hole, so I would concentrate on trying to find where it's coming through on the door and what path it's taking to get to the floorpan.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How sure are you sure of where the water is coming in? If you are pretty sure it's door-related, start by inspecting the weather stripping for any holes, snags, damage...especially inside the crease. Next, check the tub area below the door for any kind of down or inward denting from continuous use. If you're still not sure what's going on, my best bet is that you will need to clear the drain lines from under the cowl/dash...if these are plugged up it allows water to enter the HVAC system and spill out onto the floorboard via the lower vents. Pretty common problem.

Do a search on JF.com and you'll find the threads about how to clear those drain lines. Good luck to you!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Mhaddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Hmmm, the tub is lipped there, so it would be pretty difficult to leak through there unless the door was so misaligned that there was a hole, so I would concentrate on trying to find where it's coming through on the door and what path it's taking to get to the floorpan.
I did take the doors off for the first time this summer... I thought about door alignment but dismissed it because I didn't think it could really happen - there are just two pins holding it on lol. I will take a closer look tonight... maybe they're sitting a little too high?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallsofstone View Post
How sure are you sure of where the water is coming in? If you are pretty sure it's door-related, start by inspecting the weather stripping for any holes, snags, damage...especially inside the crease. Next, check the tub area below the door for any kind of down or inward denting from continuous use. If you're still not sure what's going on, my best bet is that you will need to clear the drain lines from under the cowl/dash...if these are plugged up it allows water to enter the HVAC system and spill out onto the floorboard via the lower vents. Pretty common problem.

Do a search on JF.com and you'll find the threads about how to clear those drain lines. Good luck to you!
Pretty sure. I had my g/f spray water at various parts of the door and I sat inside, hobbled, with a flash light looking for signs of water coming in.

The weather stripping looks in good shape, no visible signs of wears, tears, holes, etc.

Didn't look too closely at the tub but will check that again - thanks.

I thought about the HVAC and leaking in through the lower vents but I sprayed water continuously at the vents on the hood and nothing came in.
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it's not coming in from the vent right infront of the windshield? There's plastic tube in there & if it gets clogged, water will back up in to the cab.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Mhaddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I mentioned above that I checked that by spraying water continuously at that vent. Was hoping for an easy fix!
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

In the first picture there is a mucket seal that goes between the hard top and the body.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/mu...rounds-553823/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Mhaddy, I'm nearly willing to put money on that drain line being clogged (at least partially). Mine is just starting to leak again after having cleaned it out some time ago. Let me tell you, Ohio has been seeing unseasonable precipitation this year...most precipitation in Ohio's recorded history. It takes a literal deluge for mine to leak while I'm watching or else a non-stop rain for hours and hours on end and I find it leaking when I get back to my Jeep (like overnight). Could be the reason why you did not see any leakage when you were testing it.

This would be my first guess. My second would be either the weatherstripping or the mucket seal. My third would be tub damage at the lower door sill, use a straight edge or level to determine if there is a bend or not.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
gskills
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i know this is a old thread but any luck..

mine is also leaking from that spot on the door. not the front vent but if you take the hose or any kind of rain it sneaks in via the top of the door and drips in as a stream.....

i adjusted the brass door hinge in and out, put a new rubber door seal on the door..... nothing works....
gskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
chachi44089
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Could the water be getting in through the door glass area running down the inside of the door "between inner door panel and door" then leaking out the bottom of the door on the inside?? I had a pickup truck that did this. The water would run out from under the door panel and onto floor when it rained.
chachi44089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i have found moisture around the seal where the door pins are
redrubicon11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.