Passenger door handle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Passenger door handle

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology

Unread 03-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Passenger door handle

My passenger door handle is actually coming out of the door. The "box" that the handle is in is loose and pops out of the door frame at times. 2006 Unlimited. ??

Mike

Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #2
sccabrian
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You an either take apart the door yourself and possibly void the warranty on the door, or take it in. I would take it in for that problem, it doesn't quite sound right. Could be an easy fix for for someone who's taken them apart before though.
sccabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
ChuckDee
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There's two wedge type pieces of metal that hold it in on either side. I'll bet one or both are laying in the bottom of your door somewhere. They're a pain-in-the-_$$ to get in (and out). If you have a little time and patience, and can find the pieces, you can surely fix it. See the write-up HERE regarding painting the door handles to see how they are secured.
Unread 03-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

As mentioned, the handle is wedged in with 2 key like metal pieces. You need small hands to fix it, but the dealership will fix it for you for free under warranty.

Personally, I would take apart the door and fix it myself.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
As mentioned, the handle is wedged in with 2 key like metal pieces. You need small hands to fix it, but the dealership will fix it for you for free under warranty.

Personally, I would take apart the door and fix it myself.
Does the inside panel on the door come off?

Mike
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
65thTJ
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Don't try to fix it yourself!!!

I had this happen too. Took it in for work and they said the screws or something were loose and they tightened them. 2 weeks later and it happend again.

They ended up having to replacing the entire pax handle assembly, which is what I'd suggest you have them do from the start. Dealership I go to is very friendly when I've brought in warrentee work, even though I bought the Jeep somewhere else for cheaper than they were!
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrigley
Does the inside panel on the door come off?

Mike
Yea, you have to remove the window crank (c-clip), and then the rest is easy.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
bairy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Same thing is happening to me(same side too)!! 2006 unlimited. It bothers the crap out of my wife. I figured I would take in under warranty when the weather is nice enough to just leave them with the door.
bairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
65thTJ
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairy
Same thing is happening to me(same side too)!! 2006 unlimited. It bothers the crap out of my wife. I figured I would take in under warranty when the weather is nice enough to just leave them with the door.
I did the same thing the first time I brought it in...just left the door. The kid that did the work said that if he needs to do this again (and he did 2 weeks later) he won't suggest it. They had to pull a new jeep off the lot and mount my door on it so they could work on it and test it.

The thing I didn't like about it being loose was water and dirt getting inside the door. I'd get it fixed, it took less than half a day when they preordered the new handle.
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65thTJ
Don't try to fix it yourself!!!

I had this happen too. Took it in for work and they said the screws or something were loose and they tightened them. 2 weeks later and it happend again.

They ended up having to replacing the entire pax handle assembly, which is what I'd suggest you have them do from the start. Dealership I go to is very friendly when I've brought in warrentee work, even though I bought the Jeep somewhere else for cheaper than they were!

Ray,

I'm in Jax. Which dealership do you go to?

Mike
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #11
65thTJ
If Jeeps could fly...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I take it to Jacksonville Chrysler Jeep Dodge off of 9A and Baymeadows. It's a huge dealership, and I don't remember the name of the girl I deal with. When you drive in, you bear to the left for service. They do good body work too (where I took it to after someone rearended me) I'd suggest calling before you get there, as they are usually busy. I'm guessing that they'll look at it and try to fix it first just like mine.

I bought the Jeep up in Yulee, but it's too far of a drive for me if I need work done.
Unread 03-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #12
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65thTJ
I take it to Jacksonville Chrysler Jeep Dodge off of 9A and Baymeadows. It's a huge dealership, and I don't remember the name of the girl I deal with. When you drive in, you bear to the left for service. They do good body work too (where I took it to after someone rearended me) I'd suggest calling before you get there, as they are usually busy. I'm guessing that they'll look at it and try to fix it first just like mine.

I bought the Jeep up in Yulee, but it's too far of a drive for me if I need work done.
I bought mine at Mike Shad on Cassat. I have taken it 3 times to Jacksonville Chrysler Jeep Dodge off of 9A for various warranty work and I am NOT impressed with their service department at all.

Mike

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.