Parts needed to lift a 99 wrangler TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parts needed to lift a 99 wrangler TJ

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
steve99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Parts needed to lift a 99 wrangler TJ

At the moment I have a stock 1999 Wrangler and i'm looking to lift it with a Skyjacker 6" Bent Long Arm System with Nitro Shocks. I heard i will have to extend my transmission(5 Speed) and 4 wheel drive what parts should i be looking for to do this?

steve99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
tooofast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

there are lots of posts on this but my guess is at a minimum you will need a SYE for your transfer case and a CV drive shaft for the rear. I dont know how much you an lift the front and not need a new shaft i was ok with 4 inches of lift but 6 may be pushing it.

You should also think about a motor mount lift (brown dog do some really nice ones starting at $80) to help drive line angles.

Do a serach on here for lifts, SYE etc and you'll get lots of info.. also read some of the posts on people who have3 done it.. you may find you dont want to do 6".. will you be running 37" tires or bigger?

Dave
4" clayton long Arm, 5 inch rear stretch. CRAWLER tank. 35" KM2 muds, 1" MML from Brown Dog. Rear D44 Locked with a Detroit & trussed on Alloy Shafts, 4 point triangulation. Rear disc conversion. AtoZ Cage. Rubicon OR241 4:1. Front D30, Polly Performance Sleeve kit, locked with ARB, Alloy Shafts and HD steering linkages. Clayton belly up and oil pan skids, PSC Rocker Knockers, ORO air powerd Swayloc, Onbard Vita 450 and tank for fills and ARB compressor for the locker. Covered in dents.
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel the jeep how it is for a while and see where you want to go from there. You'll be surprised at what it can handle stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

a six inch is a major undertaking and not suggested for a DD. you will definitely need a sye and cv drive shaft. opt for double rod end rear upper control arms. they make it much easier to get your drive line right.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
steve99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

alright thanks for the advice because i was thinking between a 6" lift or a 4" lift and a 2" BL but i'm not too sure about the BL been hearing it's unsafe
steve99tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Try doing searches.There is a lot of info.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99tj View Post
alright thanks for the advice because i was thinking between a 6" lift or a 4" lift and a 2" BL but i'm not too sure about the BL been hearing it's unsafe
body lift over 1 inch is a no no IMO. not that it's unsafe it's just junky and ugly.

seeing a gas tank above the tj bumper is like seeing a fat girl with a thong showing.
Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.