Parking lights on brake pedal and other things... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Parking lights on brake pedal and other things...

50" LED CREE Light Bar Pair With Wiring KitFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-14-2015, 03:20 AM   #1
Aurt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Parking lights on brake pedal and other things...

Okay, so I got an E-mail from the system I imagine about how I hadn't been here for a while. BTW, the advice I got the last time I was here was spot on. A new oxygen sensor fixed the problem entirely, so thank you all. However, the e-mail also got me thinking about how, what I consider a minor annoyance which I have in my TJ, which I've always solved by turning my headlights on. If I step on the break pedal, or have the lights off in general, my parking lights will blink and flicker if they are off. If I step on the break pedal, they come on. All I can figure is that I need to find and test G12, but I'm not sure where the connector is. I also have no warning chime that I have the key in ignition, or lights are on warning chime. My low fuel indicator sounds the chime just fine when it goes off and the light comes on. Sometimes, but not consistently, my rear defroster light lights up for no reason, and I have a soft top, its not connected to anything. Also, sometimes my shift indicator comes on when I'm already in 5th gear, and it seams to depend on throttle position. Not sure if that's related. It goes out if I speed up. I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a back feed caused by a bad ground, but I'm not sure where to begin testing.

Aurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2015, 03:42 AM   #2
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

First thing to check would be the grounds at the rear lamps. They are grounded by the mounting screws. If that doesn't work the turn signal switch may have some wear/corrosion inside it that is causing current to leak to the front indicators. If the cluster illumination comes on with the marker lights that would point to the rear lamp grounds as they are on the same feed as the marker lamps.

Which part of the rear defroster switch lights up? Is it the background illumination? This is also linked to the cluster and marker lights. Or is it the amber ON light? That should only come on when the switch is activated which makes the cluster initiate the defrost relay for it's preset time period.

The shift light is nothing to worry about, they just seem to do that sometimes.
Unread 04-14-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Aurt
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've checked the grounds on the brake lights, I've taken off a few and put them back in, seams like they ground in the rear wheel wells, they seam to be okay. I've had the multifunction signal switch apart and cleaned it all out and put new electrostatic grease in it (Nooooo cant fix it, must replaceee...) - Chrysler It didn't make any difference at all. The rear defroster switch light comes on, come to think of it, more often then not usually when its raining. I mean, the switch itself lights up, not anything to do with the dash. If I press on the switch, the chime goes off BEEEEEEEEP until I release the switch. But no, pressing on the switch has no effect on the marker lights or headlights. Btw. When I step on the brake and the parking lights come on, its the whole system. I mean, my dash lights go dim as if for night time. My radio clock goes dimer. And while I'm stepping on the brake they flash, blink on and off. But it seams to do it on its own. Even if I'm not stepping on the break, but its more often if I am. I usually just defeat it by running my headlights all the time, they don't flash with the headlight switch on.

The whole system flashes, marker lights, tail lights, dial lights when I step on the break pedal. Radio dims to night time. Parking lights never flash without indication within the cabin.

Last edited by Aurt; 04-14-2015 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Aurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's difficult to think of what will else could be causing your problem. Bad bulbs or sockets perhaps?

Do you have any tow wiring on your Jeep, that may be worth checking over if you do.

Sent from my B15 using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.