Park/Neutral Switch on 98 TJ 32RH - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Park/Neutral Switch on 98 TJ 32RH

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 03-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
mccwho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Park/Neutral Switch on 98 TJ 32RH

I am having troubles with my reverse lights working. If when in reverse I push real hard on the shifter the lights will come on.
IS the switch bad?
Its impossible to get to can't get wrench on it. The drive shaft is in the way unless I lift it by the frame and let the axle drop, then there is the smallest ampout of room. I read its a fifteen minute replacement. LOL not on my jeep unless I am missing some secrect step or tool here.

I am wondering if it is the switch or a linkage adjustment.

Any suggestions or Experiences that would help diagnose this?

mccwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccwho View Post
I am having troubles with my reverse lights working. If when in reverse I push real hard on the shifter the lights will come on.
IS the switch bad?
Its impossible to get to can't get wrench on it. The drive shaft is in the way unless I lift it by the frame and let the axle drop, then there is the smallest ampout of room. I read its a fifteen minute replacement. LOL not on my jeep unless I am missing some secrect step or tool here.

I am wondering if it is the switch or a linkage adjustment.

Any suggestions or Experiences that would help diagnose this?
Support the t-case with a jack stand and drop the belly skid. More room than you know what to do with.
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Your shifter cable may have just stretched a tad so it is a little out of adjustment. It is adjustable on the driver's side at the bracket that holds the cable to the transmission.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
mccwho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

stretched cable ???

That sounds very plausable. How do I adjust this???

Edit: NVM, I found my OEM service manual set, figured out how to adjust cable. It did not fix the lights, though it did tighten up my shifter.

I noticed that when I jack it up the axle does not seem to articulate very much. So I am going to try and disconnect the swaybar connects, then see if that helps with clearance, I was looking for an excuse to install my JKS sway bar dis connects anyway. ;-)

Last edited by mccwho; 03-29-2014 at 11:28 PM..
Unread 03-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
mccwho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Reverse lights not working/access to the NSS on a 32RH 1998 TJ

Ok, I am posting my solution to this, in the hope it helps others. It seems a bunch of people say its easy to replace but I did not find anyone offering how they did it. So to figure out this mystery I had to go through the hard knocks.

Issue is that on the 32RH transmission the switch is so close to the drive shaft that there is no direct way to access it.

My reverse lights did not work when in reverse, they did work if I pushed REAL hard on the gear shifter towards park. It started getting to the point that even if I pushed real hard they did not work.

With the engine off I would push the thumb button and slightly jiggle the gear shifter back and forth while slowly moving it forward. I would hit point where the lights would come on, but the shifter was between reverse and park.

After I adjusted the shifter cable per James's suggestion. My shifter was much tighter. Thanks for this suggestion, it fixed that annoying issue. but the lights would not work at all now.

After a lot of trying,and swearing, to get at the switch with various wrenches and sockets. I figured that the drive shaft needed to come down more. Since I had some JKS sway bar disconnects that i removed from a previous jeep, before selling it. I went ahead and started to put them on. Half way through the process I raised the jeep by the frame so the axle would droop. Much to my displeasure it was not enough. I did not want to drop the belly pan, thinking, “Am I supposed to do this in the mountains if this switch fails." So I was determined to find a way to do this with what I would have while off-roading.

I found that if you have disconnects or other sway bar mods this is probably easy, but not for those still unblessed with suspension lifts, either by choice or funds.

SOLUTION: If you go get a 1" crow foot wrench, I got mine at sears. Yea, yeea, they were the only one that had it in stock. Lift the jeep near the belly pan, but at the frame. I have a high lift jack and a lift that is powered by the exhaust of the engine, but for safety I used a floor jack. Now you will just barely be able to get the electrical plug off with your hands. Mine was facing down so I used a tiny screw driver to reach up between the drive shaft and the tranny, push on the catch and pry it off. Now the delicate part, reach over the drive shaft and find an angle for the crow foot to slide on and very carefully align the socket wrench. Once on turn away! Going back on the way. Attaching the torque wrench was the most frustrating part. You can only turn the switch a little at a time before repositioning the crowfoot. Took a few minutes to do with this wrench, and a lot of dropping the wrenches.

I don't think you will need to disconnect anything to do this, if you use the crow foot wrench!

:=)

I'll post pic of my tools and view of the switch.

Last edited by mccwho; 03-30-2014 at 05:46 PM..
Unread 03-30-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
mccwho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lift point:
tools:
what youu when you look under, after lifting and disconnecting swaybar:
switch over drive shaft:
switch from bottom:
Swaybar disconnected:
liftpoint-1.jpg

liftpoint-2.jpg

tools.jpg

whatyouseewhenlookunder.jpg

nss-overdriveshaft.jpg

switch-bottom.jpg

swaybardisconnected.jpg

Unread 03-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my park/neutral safety switch years ago. I can't remember if I had to drop one end of the driveshaft or not. If I did, it doesn't take more than a few extra minutes.After I did...backup lights!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
mccwho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I thought about dropping the drive shaft. But I thought that Chrysler had to be complete morons to design an off-road vehicle that goes hunders of miles out into the mountains only to need an entire shop full of tools to work on it. My old jeep I only needed a tool bag full of tools to repair or replace almost 90% of the entire vehicle.
So my goal was to find away to repair it without doing all the extra stuff (droping something to gain access). MAkes no sense that that put that switch so close to the drive shaft in the first place.
With the crow foot wrench it becomes real quick and easy.

Cheers to all for your input and help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.