parental help - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > parental help

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #31
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iananderson17 View Post
so with that 2 inch basic lift.. from what i've read, it seems like there's more involved with a lift then just some larger springs and some new shocks... is that kit really all i need? obviously nothing intense and expensive like a SYE, adjustable track bar or anything... but what about bumpstops, and the like?
when you get over 2" you dive into a can of worms with track bars and drive train mods to keep the geometry correct.

you don't need extended bumpstops for a 2"bb on stock, upto 22.5" long shocks and 31" tires.

keep it simple, lift springs aren't necessarily better than a bb especially in your situation.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #32
iananderson17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
when you get over 2" you dive into a can of worms with track bars and drive train mods to keep the geometry correct.

you don't need extended bumpstops for a 2"bb on stock, upto 22.5" long shocks and 31" tires.

keep it simple, lift springs aren't necessarily better than a bb especially in your situation.
Thats exactly what i thought, which is why I definitely didn't want to go higher than that. But i have to ask why you think a bb would be better for me, is it just cost, and not being much different?
Show that to your dad !!
iananderson17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #33
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So if I got longer shocks, and the springs from a tj rubi, would that provide me with a slight lift? I'm looking to go with a lift not just to fit 31's, as i know i can do that without it. I would just like to have a little more clearance, and give it the meaner stance that would provide me with. That rustys 2"basic was appealing to me, would those springs be similar? And i know i'm quite lucky. but, in the scheme of things...i got a jeep because my dad got an 08 rubi. But i do consider myself very lucky, especially because i have a lot of memories in the jeep, and now have money to mod it, not just buy it.
the rusty's could be a good option. pay close attention to the shock length of the rusty's kit tho.. if they are longer than 22.5" they will bottom out and take away from uptravel gained by the lift.

the rubi shocks and springs aren't longer, just stiffer and will give a "slight" lift. more so on the 4cly. I suggested that on account of them being stock parts that will give you about what you want. the rubi/sahara springs can be found for under 50 bucks, thus you could the 300 on good shocks..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #34
iananderson17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well... there's a small caveat on the shocks..because my parents bought my sister a car for roughly $2500... i have about that much in repairs, and my dad was planning on new shocks that would ride a little harder, and last a little harder. so if i got those rubi springs, i could gain a slight lift, have the right shocks, and maybe even add a 1" puck lift, all for around $75-100 out of MY pocket. Am i correct there?
Show that to your dad !!
Unread 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #35
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thats exactly what i thought, which is why I definitely didn't want to go higher than that. But i have to ask why you think a bb would be better for me, is it just cost, and not being much different?
yep, partially cost, and I doubt you'll be able to stop at 2" and 2" lift springs are hard to build off of. you could buy the rusty's springs and end up putting another 1" spacer up front to level the rake, provided you don't like it...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #36
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well... there's a small caveat on the shocks..because my parents bought my sister a car for roughly $2500... i have about that much in repairs, and my dad was planning on new shocks that would ride a little harder, and last a little harder. so if i got those rubi springs, i could gain a slight lift, have the right shocks, and maybe even add a 1" puck lift, all for around $75-100 out of MY pocket. Am i correct there?

I would only add 3/4-1" only in the front if it has a rake..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 03-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #37
iananderson17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well alright then. I really don't plan on going above 2", i swear. so, in my mind, i would go with the 2" rustys coil lift. but, now i can just present the two ideas to the big man, and see what he would prefer. Thanks everyone for all the help and knowledge, especially mudb8. I'll be sure to show a little midget build thread when i get it all done sometime this summer, for all the noobs out there like me.
Show that to your dad !!
Unread 03-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #38
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This has got to be the first thread where a free gear upgrade was done. At the start, the OP had 3.07 gears, now he has 4.10 gears. And it didn't cost him a dime.

Show that to your dad !!
Unread 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #39
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Based on the BFG TA/KO:

28" tires turn 748 revolutions per mile
31" tires turn 677 revolutions per mile

About a 9.5% difference, you'll be fine.

The 31's will fit without lift. You may need to shim the steering stops (simple washer) to prevent rubbing at full lock, with stock wheels. However, the 2" BB is run all the time without a major compromise of the COG.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #40
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have 4" of lift, and 33's on my 4cyl. 5 speed with 4:10 gears. It's pretty sluggish, and I'm saving to regear to 4:88's, but with 31's it would be fine. And as far as the driveability and handling it's pretty stable. A 2" lift won't make much difference on the handling, just be sure to get the frontend aligned after the lift and you'll be good to go.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #41
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
...just be sure to get the frontend aligned after the lift and you'll be good to go.
All you can set is the toe. You can do it in the driveway and save the money.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #42
iananderson17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
This has got to be the first thread where a free gear upgrade was done. At the start, the OP had 3.07 gears, now he has 4.10 gears. And it didn't cost him a dime.

Show that to your dad !!
I DID! i had to show him the thread to get him to believe me
Show that to your dad !!
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #43
Kono
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My 97 4-banger w/ 33's on it . I have 4.10's right now ,but looking to regear in the near future. Gas wise.....15 - 18 mpg. Not good , but not bad in my eyes. It's a jeep thing. Ran 31's before the lift and it was about the same mpg. Who knows. I like tho.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1237770365
jeep1.jpg  
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #44
iananderson17
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^^ nice jeep kono. so no noticeable change going to the 31's? good to know
Show that to your dad !!
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:25 PM   #45
Kono
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Slower ...yes . Until i regear to 4.56 or 4.88's , 5th gear is useless. Also have to recalibrate the speedo. If the speedo says i'm going 40 , i'm actually going 45. If you are going for cool.....keep it simple. If you are going to work it, get 2-3 jobs so you can afford it. Check my profile , i think i have i pic of it with 31's on it . Good luck. Just to mention ...i have learned alot from all these guys on the forum.....you just have to decide where you want to go with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.