Painting my TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting my TJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Painting my TJ

I own a 97 sport in emerald green pearlcoat. i love the rig but the color is a bit off for me and i dont wanna sell. (its basically teal. . . )

The jeep is native to virginia so it has seen its share of both salted roads and sand from the beach and has a few small rust spots that will benefit from my vanity.

Has anyone done a color change on their TJ? looking for personal experiences regarding this, jeeps are a bit different then other vehicles, being the roll cage, window frame and entire interior are color matched to the exterior. I am planning on herculining the tub to eliminate the need to paint the tub but will still need to do lots of other stuff interior wise.

I am debating on colors, probably not a jeep color, perhaps probably a chevy orange (hugger or the new burnt orange similar to amber fire) or maybe a lime green a bit more vibrant than the chrysler one used in jeeps for a couple years

would love to hear yuor experiences. i have assisted in many paint jobs but this will be my first alone and also first with a gravity feed gun

Unread 12-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Been thinking about this too, the Tj has a fair amount of rust on the right front fender and other places. For a colour though, how about Estoril Blue? It's that light blue BMW uses.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like the Estoril Blue but not on a jeep. I want something either really boring and drab like olive green or something much more vibrant and bright like the hugger orange.

I am definately open to suggestions though. I dont have a lot of rust, but it will benefit from the work

a
Unread 12-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
bdevr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 97 that was the old dark green and just had it done in the new Jeep rescue green. I think the color looks awesome, and with it still being green it saves the headaches with registration. I'll see if I can upload a pic
bdevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #5
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

We painted our old blue car years ago and picked a grey that had some blue in it. It made it a lot less noticeable around the door frames, trunk, etc where you would see the difference. Maybe there is a similar color that you might like.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
"TJ" really stands for "TEAL JEEP!"
I'll think of a better signature when my ADHD medication starts wor.....hey look, a penny!
bmlawless is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.