Painting Hardtop: The Write-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Painting Hardtop: The Write-up

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
TheDirtyGeneral

Painting Hardtop: The Write-up

WARNING

THIS WILL TAKE A FULL DAY
Alright, yesterday I decided I was going to paint my hardtop today. Started searching around and found lots of mixed information about prep and what paints to use and there was no complete write-up. So today I decided I'd dive into it with what information I had and hope for the best... here's what I did:

First I took it off the Jeep, brought it back to me backyard and set it up on a step stool and a folding chair nothing like some redneck ingenuity.

Then I went to Lowe's,... topless , and bought

1. Pack (5 sheets) of 320 grit sandpaper

2 cans of Valspar any surface primer (only ended up needing half of one can)

5 cans of Rustoleum spray on bed liner (first coat took 2 1/2 cans next coat took ~2 cans)

the smaller can of MEK

This badboy..

These gloves

and a good mask

First thing I did was wash the top with warm water and soap and then dried it off... nothing special

Then started sanding, its important to wear the mask and eye protection here!

You can clearly see that I'm halfway done sanding here

This is why I bought primer.... didn't want to paint directly on any fiberglass

Then I rinsed it down with the hose really good, made sure to spray all the little nooks and crannies, and here you'll see what you sanded good and whre you missed...

Dried it really good

Unread 03-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
TheDirtyGeneral

Started taping! I had a roof rack so I taped that off, you might not have to if you dont have one!

Then I went over everywhere that I could see fiber glass with primer

Then I started spraying the bedliner... if you mess up use the MEK on a paper towel to thin it out and clean it off. I did this a few times.

Some things to remember about the 1st coat. It is the first coat so its not going to look completely even, thats okay. Don't try to over do it and end up with it being runny.

how the top looks with 2 coats

I waited 30 minutes after primer to start painting and 2 hours between coats of paint.

here she is done

This is why its important to wear eye protection and a mask...

you can see everywhere on my face that wasn't covered is pretty much black with dust and overspray..

Lets review: Take top off, wash top, sand top, wash top again, dry top, make sure sanded everywhere good, tape off windows, paint light first coat, spray even 2nd coat, touch up, pull off tape and you're done.

It's really simple and hard to screw up....
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
bippity
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great post!
You had the same colour hardtop as me that I want to paint, and now I can see what it'll look like. It looks good, any pics of it on the jeep yet to see how it looks all together?
bippity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
TheDirtyGeneral

Haven't put it back on yet. Putting it on in the morning, I'll snap a picture for you!
Unread 03-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
briguy3030
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nicely done!

"You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take."
-Wayne Gretzky
briguy3030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
05jeeper
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the write up. Been thinking about doing this to mine but not sure I could do a good job. Might give it a try now.

GROUP MEMBERSHIPS:
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY

TJ OWNERS CLUB
WAR VETERANS JEEP GROUP

WASHINGTON STATE JEEPS
05jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
AstroZombie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up. As soon as it quits raining here it's gonna be time for "Operation hard top restore!" I have a crunched corner and my liftgate hinges are badly corroded.

USN Jeep Club Hull # 199
AstroZombie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
TheDirtyGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05jeeper View Post
Thanks for the write up. Been thinking about doing this to mine but not sure I could do a good job. Might give it a try now.
It's really easy... takes a loooong time to sand though, the little gun trigger that goes on top of the can is what made it easy just spray and continue the spraying motion as you let off the trigger. It was the first time I ever sprayed anything of size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZombie View Post
Thanks for the write up. As soon as it quits raining here it's gonna be time for "Operation hard top restore!" I have a crunched corner and my liftgate hinges are badly corroded.
scratch if you get down to original surface (ie metal or fiberglass) prime and shoot. You can see where I primed my liftgate hinges in one of the pictures.
Unread 03-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What color was yours to start with? Can't tell if it was black or gray. I did mine a few years ago.

- Start by spraying the recesses around the side windows and in any creases. I have had some flaking in those areas probably because some overspray goth there before I gave those places a coat and it did not bond well.

- Take the rear glass off and weather strip, that way the inside of the opening matches. I taped sheets of newspaper across the opening, to keep overspray out of the inside, particularly if you are leaving the white interior. I painted my interior.

- The same around the front and door jambs, tape long pieces of newspaper around the front.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #10
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #11
TheDirtyGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil F. View Post
What color was yours to start with? Can't tell if it was black or gray. I did mine a few years ago.

- Start by spraying the recesses around the side windows and in any creases. I have had some flaking in those areas probably because some overspray goth there before I gave those places a coat and it did not bond well.

- Take the rear glass off and weather strip, that way the inside of the opening matches. I taped sheets of newspaper across the opening, to keep overspray out of the inside, particularly if you are leaving the white interior. I painted my interior.

- The same around the front and door jambs, tape long pieces of newspaper around the front.

It was grey and had black spots on it from the PO

I didn't take the rear window off or weatherstrip because it wasn't necessary, and no one was going to see there but me so (to me) it didnt matter.

Also I didn't take the weatherstripping off the side windows because it can never fit back the same, at least for me.

I'm going to bedline my interior with MONSTALINER when they release colors and I do the bed.
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
jxv
1998 TJ Wrangler 

nice job, good write up
jxv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPowellJeep View Post
It was grey and had black spots on it from the PO

Also I didn't take the weatherstripping off the side windows because it can never fit back the same, at least for me.
I meant in the rear hatch, not the side windows
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #14
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job, I did the same thing last summer, except i took the rear glass out myself (word to the wise get a buddy, almost dropped it) I used Krylon Fusion Black, I didn't sand it down as far though, but other wise the same process. Mine turned out looking just like the factory, plus the fusion matches the stock color pretty well IMO.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
TheDirtyGeneral

Here she is mounted back on the Jeep like you asked for

And an aerial view for good measure lol

I guess I oughta be paint my flares soon lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.