Paint protection? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Paint protection?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
Sandibar

Paint protection?

The previous owner of my navy blue TJ had something unpleasant rain down on the hood and windshield - acid rain/road spill/who knows. It left some minor pitting on the front fenders, windshield frame (and the glass - whatever it was, it was nasty), and of course the hood - basically anything with a flat surface.

He had the decency to have the hood repainted and though the Jeep looks nice overall - the remaining damage is so minor you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking - the new hood paint is very susceptible to scratches and scuffing. If I run my finger down it while dusty it will leave minor scratches. I can wash/wax/scratch-out (well, some like product from 3M) and repair the minor scratches in the hood but there has to be some better way to protect this half-assed paint job. Would a clear coat or something be the way to go? I know it's a Jeep, but I prefer my damage natural-like.

Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2003, 10:28 PM   #2
my_tj

a little expensive, but my eventual plan is to have it re-painted w/ trucker paint (i dunno exactly what it's called but tends to resists scratching and UV wear - hence why truckers use it). that could be a good solution for you.

[color=red][B]RED jeep club member #72[/B][/color]
Follow me to Certain Death member #14
my_tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
04Willys

I'd go with a clear coat. Around here they run about $500 for a high quality clear coat.

"[COLOR=white]The no-mind no-thinks no-thoughts about no-things.[/COLOR]" - The Buddha
04Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 05:07 AM   #4
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_tj
a little expensive, but my eventual plan is to have it re-painted w/ trucker paint (i dunno exactly what it's called but tends to resists scratching and UV wear - hence why truckers use it). that could be a good solution for you.
Dupont Imron,is the paint
Unread 10-24-2003, 07:27 AM   #5
Troubles

Kinda off subject. I never let anyone, nor do I ever touch my Jeep when it's dirty. That dirt will scratch the paint. Now I know tree branches will scratch it too, but that is the "Fun" scratches, not the "Stupid" ones. LOL. There is also a product called "Wax as you dry" from Eagle one that I use everytime I wash my Jeep. It's a pretty good "lite" wax for inbetween good waxing jobs. I learned quite a bit from my neighbor that waxes / cleans/ details cars for a living (Ownes his own business) He told me to never go to a car wash that has heated water because it will strip the wax right off your Jeep. It's a way the car wash will get you to come back. Once the wax is gone dirt will stick to your Jeep a lot easier, so back to the car wash you go! When my Jeep is real muddy I go to the car wash and spend a little time there to get all that mud off. Then I go home and hand wash it all. Then I will put it in the garage and polish it. Polish fills all those small scratches and takes any surface dirt off too. Then find a good wax and wax it all. Remeber I went to the car wash so the wax is stripped off. The wax seals the deal and your good to go. Now I may seem anal but I love my Jeep and I want it to last and look good. A little "elbow" grease goes a long ways! Sorry about the book I just typed
Troubles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:05 AM   #6
Jeepster Joe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Willys
I'd go with a clear coat. Around here they run about $500 for a high quality clear coat.
You can get the hood repainted for $500, especially if you prep it yourself. Why waste money on clearcoat when you can just repaint with a better quality of paint?
Jeepster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.