Paint protection? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Paint protection?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-23-2003, 11:05 PM   #1
Sandibar

Paint protection?

The previous owner of my navy blue TJ had something unpleasant rain down on the hood and windshield - acid rain/road spill/who knows. It left some minor pitting on the front fenders, windshield frame (and the glass - whatever it was, it was nasty), and of course the hood - basically anything with a flat surface.

He had the decency to have the hood repainted and though the Jeep looks nice overall - the remaining damage is so minor you wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking - the new hood paint is very susceptible to scratches and scuffing. If I run my finger down it while dusty it will leave minor scratches. I can wash/wax/scratch-out (well, some like product from 3M) and repair the minor scratches in the hood but there has to be some better way to protect this half-assed paint job. Would a clear coat or something be the way to go? I know it's a Jeep, but I prefer my damage natural-like.

Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
my_tj

a little expensive, but my eventual plan is to have it re-painted w/ trucker paint (i dunno exactly what it's called but tends to resists scratching and UV wear - hence why truckers use it). that could be a good solution for you.

[color=red][B]RED jeep club member #72[/B][/color]
Follow me to Certain Death member #14
my_tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 11:41 PM   #3
04Willys

I'd go with a clear coat. Around here they run about $500 for a high quality clear coat.

"[COLOR=white]The no-mind no-thinks no-thoughts about no-things.[/COLOR]" - The Buddha
04Willys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2003, 06:07 AM   #4
fitzz47
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_tj
a little expensive, but my eventual plan is to have it re-painted w/ trucker paint (i dunno exactly what it's called but tends to resists scratching and UV wear - hence why truckers use it). that could be a good solution for you.
Dupont Imron,is the paint
Unread 10-24-2003, 08:27 AM   #5
Troubles

Kinda off subject. I never let anyone, nor do I ever touch my Jeep when it's dirty. That dirt will scratch the paint. Now I know tree branches will scratch it too, but that is the "Fun" scratches, not the "Stupid" ones. LOL. There is also a product called "Wax as you dry" from Eagle one that I use everytime I wash my Jeep. It's a pretty good "lite" wax for inbetween good waxing jobs. I learned quite a bit from my neighbor that waxes / cleans/ details cars for a living (Ownes his own business) He told me to never go to a car wash that has heated water because it will strip the wax right off your Jeep. It's a way the car wash will get you to come back. Once the wax is gone dirt will stick to your Jeep a lot easier, so back to the car wash you go! When my Jeep is real muddy I go to the car wash and spend a little time there to get all that mud off. Then I go home and hand wash it all. Then I will put it in the garage and polish it. Polish fills all those small scratches and takes any surface dirt off too. Then find a good wax and wax it all. Remeber I went to the car wash so the wax is stripped off. The wax seals the deal and your good to go. Now I may seem anal but I love my Jeep and I want it to last and look good. A little "elbow" grease goes a long ways! Sorry about the book I just typed
Troubles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
Jeepster Joe
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Willys
I'd go with a clear coat. Around here they run about $500 for a high quality clear coat.
You can get the hood repainted for $500, especially if you prep it yourself. Why waste money on clearcoat when you can just repaint with a better quality of paint?
Jeepster Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.