P0743/p0740 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > P0743/p0740

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
crosboro
2002 TJ Wrangler 

P0743/p0740

Can anyone offer advice on what my problem might be? Two weeks ago I got the following codes:
P0743 Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit electrical
P0740 Torque converter lockup malfunction
P0443 Evaporative emission control system purge control valve

I took it to a transmission place, and they found it was not the solenoid, but as it was the original (2002 Sport) replaced it. That seems to have solved the P0740 problem. He said the 743 was solved too, due to a wire that was shorted out behind the fuse box (behind glove compartment). Well, the 743 came back. I did not ask him to deal with the 443 code.
Oh, and at the same time, the AC didn't work. He said the fix he did fixed the AC, too.
Took it back and he swapped around a couple of relays and found they were all "ok". Also, said that by doing so, it fixed it. He supposedly drove it around quite a bit and the code did not show and the AC was working.
Well, I picked it up and after 5 miles, the 743 code came back (as did the 443). And, they won't clear.
Anyone ever have this problem, or ideas before I take it to the dealer?
Thanks.

crosboro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
jeepmutiny
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Take it to an automotive electrical shop. They can diagnose more than a dealer and you will not have to buy your Jeep twice. To me it sounds like an ECM issue but I cannot test circuits through the web LOL. Intermittent issues are many times from a cracked circuit board..... Jon
jeepmutiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don’t think that it is a coincidence that evap/purge solenoid, the torque convertor clutch solenoid & the a/c compressor clutch relay are all on the same fuse. That fuse is fuse 11 in the block behind the glove box. It could be there is a bad connection where the fuse plugs in or it could be a bad splice in the harness where the wires separate to got to each of the listed components. That splice is along the firewall more or less in the center near where the ground strap for the hood comes out of the harness. All the wires are red/light green. Since working near the fuse block made everything work temporarily, I would start there. Hope that helps.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.