P0340/P0344 codes driving me crazy - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 80 Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
rockcrawlin
2005 LJ Wrangler 

P0340/P0344 codes driving me crazy

I own a 2005 LJ that is plagued with the P0344/0340 code (camshaft position sensor intermittent interruption - bank 1 - sensor 1). When the code came up a few months ago, I replaced the camshaft position sensor with a factory one. I deleted the code and the code came back the next day. I unplugged the sensor and all of the ECM plugs and made sure they were all clean and then deleted the code again. After 2 days, the code came back. I took it to the dealership and they performed the P0344 TSB, I took it home and the code came back the next day. I took it back to the dealership and they kept it for 3-4 days. They said they checked every connection in that system and performed several tests. A few things they did included relearning the sensors as they found the sensor sync to be off by 11 degrees. They set it to zero. They checked for shorted circuits on K900, K44 and F856. They said the code did not return and they could not find anything that would have caused it in the first place. I took it home and the code came back after 2 days.

3 trips to Rockwall Dodge and each trip they say they have it fixed. Code always comes back the day after I pick it up. Same issues, same code. They even had a ticket in with the manufacture support program. I figured out early on that it was clear that they had no clue as to what was happening because they didn't charge me and this last time they seemed to throw out some things they "noticed " where wrong but not once tried to sell me the fix.

I tested a theory of mine. If I start the Jeep When the ECT is below 90 degrees, the P0344 code comes back and the engine rev limits around 2400 (limp mode). I let the engine idle until it reaches normal operating temperature. I use my scan tool to clear the code and the code stays gone all day. I can drive it all day and the code does not come back and no limp mode. It can even sit for multiple hours and when I drive it again, everything works fine. It seems like anytime the ECT drops below 90 degrees, the code comes back. It has to sit overnight for the code to return unless it's cool outside. If the ECT falls below about 80 degrees, the engine requires very long cranks to start. I'm SO frustrated. Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? I've scoured the internet and have not found an instance where this was a continuing issue and the fix was found.

Oh, and I replaced the OPDA last year with a Doorman unit. The only reason I replaced the camshaft position sensor is because I've read a lot about the Doorman sensors going bad pretty quick. So, when the code came up, I just decided to replace the Doorman sensor with a factory one. The OPDA gear and the camshaft both show a little wear, but it's not bad. This seems to be a temp issue to me. I'm stumped and extremely frustrated. If I want to drive the Jeep at all, I have to go through the entire process of heating it up first and then making sure the ECT stays above 90 degrees. PITA!

I forgot to mention that I'm getting real time accurate ECT from the Live Data function on my Scan Tool. So, when I'm mentioning ECT, it's not a guess, it's what the computer is showing. Now, this may not be the parameter that is causing the DTC to trigger, but it's just the most obvious to me.
ECT - above 89-90 degrees - starts, runs, no codes
ECT - below 89 degrees - starts, will not rev above 2300 RPM, code P0344/0340
ECT - below low 80's - long crank, starts, will not rev above 2300 RPM, code P0344
Trigger of DTC requires ECT to be above 200 degrees (usually 205-210) before code can be erased

I took the Jeep to a small shop the other day to a tech that I trust and he mentioned that it is possible that the timing chain could have enough slack to trigger those codes. I've heard a slight rattling sound on cold start-ups for a while, so I thought I would give it a try. Although the old chain did have some slack in it, a new kit did not fix my problem. After doing some testing and diagnostics of the systems and wiring that could cause those codes, he said that he thinks the computer is bad. He recognizes that problems are very rarely due to bad computers, but he seems pretty sure on this one.

I performed a resistance check on the wires from the PCM to the CPS and there is zero resistance. All seems good. It got really cold here the other day and I had to put the Jeep in the garage with my garage heater pointed down onto the motor just to warm it up enough to clear the codes. On the way to work the under hood temps dropped low enough for the codes to return while driving. I'm starting to lean towards this really being a PCM issue. I'm going to look into sending mine in and having it checked and rebuilt instead of getting one from them. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'll take 'em.

I just hate to keep throwing money at it. But, if I were to get a computer for it, does anyone have suggestions for a reputable company with a good track record? I'm about to the point of giving up, I'm so frustrated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 01-10-2017, 05:03 AM
silver_lj_ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawlin View Post
I own a 2005 LJ that is plagued with the P0344/0340 code (camshaft position sensor intermittent interruption - bank 1 - sensor 1). When the code came up a few months ago, I replaced the camshaft position sensor with a factory one. I deleted the code and the code came back the next day. I unplugged the sensor and all of the ECM plugs and made sure they were all clean and then deleted the code again. After 2 days, the code came back. I took it to the dealership and they performed the P0344 TSB, I took it home and the code came back the next day. I took it back to the dealership and they kept it for 3-4 days. They said they checked every connection in that system and performed several tests. A few things they did included relearning the sensors as they found the sensor sync to be off by 11 degrees. They set it to zero. They checked for shorted circuits on K900, K44 and F856. They said the code did not return and they could not find anything that would have caused it in the first place. I took it home and the code came back after 2 days.

3 trips to Rockwall Dodge and each trip they say they have it fixed. Code always comes back the day after I pick it up. Same issues, same code. They even had a ticket in with the manufacture support program. I figured out early on that it was clear that they had no clue as to what was happening because they didn't charge me and this last time they seemed to throw out some things they "noticed " where wrong but not once tried to sell me the fix.

I tested a theory of mine. If I start the Jeep When the ECT is below 90 degrees, the P0344 code comes back and the engine rev limits around 2400 (limp mode). I let the engine idle until it reaches normal operating temperature. I use my scan tool to clear the code and the code stays gone all day. I can drive it all day and the code does not come back and no limp mode. It can even sit for multiple hours and when I drive it again, everything works fine. It seems like anytime the ECT drops below 90 degrees, the code comes back. It has to sit overnight for the code to return unless it's cool outside. If the ECT falls below about 80 degrees, the engine requires very long cranks to start. I'm SO frustrated. Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? I've scoured the internet and have not found an instance where this was a continuing issue and the fix was found.

Oh, and I replaced the OPDA last year with a Doorman unit. The only reason I replaced the camshaft position sensor is because I've read a lot about the Doorman sensors going bad pretty quick. So, when the code came up, I just decided to replace the Doorman sensor with a factory one. The OPDA gear and the camshaft both show a little wear, but it's not bad. This seems to be a temp issue to me. I'm stumped and extremely frustrated. If I want to drive the Jeep at all, I have to go through the entire process of heating it up first and then making sure the ECT stays above 90 degrees. PITA!

I forgot to mention that I'm getting real time accurate ECT from the Live Data function on my Scan Tool. So, when I'm mentioning ECT, it's not a guess, it's what the computer is showing. Now, this may not be the parameter that is causing the DTC to trigger, but it's just the most obvious to me.
ECT - above 89-90 degrees - starts, runs, no codes
ECT - below 89 degrees - starts, will not rev above 2300 RPM, code P0344/0340
ECT - below low 80's - long crank, starts, will not rev above 2300 RPM, code P0344
Trigger of DTC requires ECT to be above 200 degrees (usually 205-210) before code can be erased

I took the Jeep to a small shop the other day to a tech that I trust and he mentioned that it is possible that the timing chain could have enough slack to trigger those codes. I've heard a slight rattling sound on cold start-ups for a while, so I thought I would give it a try. Although the old chain did have some slack in it, a new kit did not fix my problem. After doing some testing and diagnostics of the systems and wiring that could cause those codes, he said that he thinks the computer is bad. He recognizes that problems are very rarely due to bad computers, but he seems pretty sure on this one.

I performed a resistance check on the wires from the PCM to the CPS and there is zero resistance. All seems good. It got really cold here the other day and I had to put the Jeep in the garage with my garage heater pointed down onto the motor just to warm it up enough to clear the codes. On the way to work the under hood temps dropped low enough for the codes to return while driving. I'm starting to lean towards this really being a PCM issue. I'm going to look into sending mine in and having it checked and rebuilt instead of getting one from them. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'll take 'em.

I just hate to keep throwing money at it. But, if I were to get a computer for it, does anyone have suggestions for a reputable company with a good track record? I'm about to the point of giving up, I'm so frustrated.
Having the same issue

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 80 Old 01-10-2017, 06:35 PM
silver_lj_ruby

Hey did you have the jeep dealership look for a flash because i just found one for the code 2005-2006 tj
The service bulletin number is 18-015-09

post #4 of 80 Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
rockcrawlin
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_lj_ruby View Post
Hey did you have the jeep dealership look for a flash because i just found one for the code 2005-2006 tj
The service bulletin number is 18-015-09

Yes, they said they did the P0344 TSB.
post #5 of 80 Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Same exact issue happening with my '06 Rubicon (121,000 miles). Just updated my original post before I saw yours. I feel your pain.

I feel like you've probably read the same things I've been seeing, but I came across a post by other person that was having this problem. He did a PCM replacement and it didn't even correct the problem.

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
post #6 of 80 Old 01-11-2017, 03:41 PM
TJTurbo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I can't remember where I read this but I recall somebody making aluminum foil "washers" to slightly open the gap between the cam sensor and the tone wheel in the OPDA. Might be worth a shot if all else fails.
post #7 of 80 Old 01-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/op...4-1916969.html

REPORT IF THIS WORKS OR IF YOU TRY BUT THE CODE(S) COME BACK.
post #8 of 80 Old 01-11-2017, 04:39 PM
silver_lj_ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
This?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/op...4-1916969.html

REPORT IF THIS WORKS OR IF YOU TRY BUT THE CODE(S) COME BACK.
Not trying to take away from the real issue but whenever i click on a link in tapatalk it tkes me to a completely different page and it always goes to the same page

post #9 of 80 Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
rockcrawlin
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I might have fixed it, but I'm going to hold off on explaining my "fix" for a bit to make sure it's really fixed. Waiting on some really cold days. I'm in Texas, so.............

2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (LJ)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega-Cab CTD
post #10 of 80 Old 01-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Speed911
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've been dealing with these codes on and off during the winter months for the past 3 winters....

-Dane
post #11 of 80 Old 01-25-2017, 08:36 PM
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've noticed the same cold weather issue with mine too. P0344 has cleared and no bucking since the weather has warmed up. I feel your pain. Pretty frickin frustrating problem.

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
post #12 of 80 Old 01-25-2017, 11:51 PM
jblue1555
1979 CJ7 

Check the wire loom that passes over the dipstick bracket
post #13 of 80 Old 01-26-2017, 11:19 AM
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblue1555 View Post
Check the wire loom that passes over the dipstick bracket
Mine is all good. No damage there, surprisingly.

post #14 of 80 Old 01-30-2017, 06:17 PM
silver_lj_ruby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcrawlin View Post
I might have fixed it, but I'm going to hold off on explaining my "fix" for a bit to make sure it's really fixed. Waiting on some really cold days. I'm in Texas, so.............
Did it work ive read a lot about people replacing there oil pump drive assembly (OPDA) with a crown or dorman. Every post about that has said the same thing though make sure you use a OEM cam position sensor (CPS) otherwise the code will return.

post #15 of 80 Old 01-31-2017, 07:28 AM
Speed911
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_lj_ruby View Post
Did it work ive read a lot about people replacing there oil pump drive assembly (OPDA) with a crown or dorman. Every post about that has said the same thing though make sure you use a OEM cam position sensor (CPS) otherwise the code will return.

That didn't fix mine

-Dane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.