P0161 (M) 2/2 O2 Sensor Heater Failure Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > P0161 (M) 2/2 O2 Sensor Heater Failure Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

P0161 (M) 2/2 O2 Sensor Heater Failure Oxygen sensor heater element malfunction.

OK this showed up this morning. Engine Light is on solid so I believe it is not a major issue. Very cold overnight & when I started up this morning (started easy enough) & it hesitated a bit when I pulled out of the driveway & on the street the warning light was on. Did the 3 key turn tricjk to get the code. What should I do about it? Anything to really worry about?

blackattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not a huge deal. It's a post-cat O2 sensor so it is primarily there for keeping the catalytic converter in check, it also plays a part in the A/F ratio, but not to the extent that the pre-cat sensors do.

The heater element basically makes the sensor warm up faster to get you out of open loop(closed loop is more efficient). I can't remember how many O2 sensors are under a TJ in all, but if it's 4(as opposed to 2), then check your PDC as there should be an O2 sensor heater relay, which supplies the voltage to the 1/2 and 2/2 O2 sensors heater elements. The 1/1 and 2/1 sensors get it directly from the ASD(auto-shutdown) relay. All are PCM triggered, but I doubt the PCM could be the problem as it's only the 2/2 sensor throwing the code, I'm not positive but I believe both the post-cat O2 sensors are on the same circuit so aside from the O2 sensor itself going bad, it could be the wiring.

In a nutshell:
A) Check the O2 sensor wiring for any opens, shorts, etc anything visually wrong with it.

B) Replace the 2/2 O2 sensor(bank 2 sensor 2).

You may find your gas mileage takes a crap until it is fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Only 25,000 km on it so I`ll let the dealership look after it on Monday.
Unread 12-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Would have taken it in today but now light has turned off. Won't worry about it for now. Turned on during cold snap, above freezing last 2 days & now off?
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
mynameislarry
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have the same problems man, did you do anything about it? or did the problem procede on cold days? im about to replace mine soon
mynameislarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.