P 0301, CEL flashing, losing power on freeway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > P 0301, CEL flashing, losing power on freeway

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Parkatola
2001 XJ Cherokee 

P 0301, CEL flashing, losing power on freeway

Greetings!

I've done some digging on this great site (always had my prior problems diagnosed and had great help) and didn't find my exact problem.

2006 Jeep wrangler, 2.4L, 6 speed manual.

Lately, it has been running a little rough, low rpms at idle, but seems to run fine at street speeds.

The Check Engine Light occasionally flashed on the freeway, but lately I've not had a lot of power (just on the freeway; surface roads seem fine) and have had a hard time maintaining freeway speed, even in 5th gear. (If I put it in 6th, the speed just slowly drops.) Tonight, the check engine light was flashing, and then stayed on. (That's new.) I pullled off the freeway and found a parking lot. I turned the key off and on 3 times (which I learned here), and got P 0301 as the error code. That's apparently the Cylinder #1 misfire.

I found a few threads here that have outlined all the things that could cause that code. I'm hoping that the issue of the freeway loss of power could help point to one or just a few issues to narrow it down.

Any ideas or suggestions? If there are other symptoms that might point to one or another, let me know and I'll try to narrow it down.

Thanks in advance for any efforts to help. I really appreciate it.

Strength and honor.

Parkatola

Parkatola is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

How many miles on the spark plugs and what kind of plugs?...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Parkatola
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'll have to check tomorrow. I bought it used two years ago, and haven't changed them since I've had it. The miles are still pretty low, not quite 46,000. (What's the average life of spark plugs and wires? That may be something I can handle changing, thanks to my Dad for teaching me that.)

I'll check and post a reply.

Thanks for the quick response.

Parkatola
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:32 AM   #4
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the plug #1 and take a look. If you're not sure post a picture.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
Parkatola
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hoping there's no such thing as a stupid question, cylinder #1 is the closest to the front of the Jeep, correct?

Thanks.

Parkatola
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkatola View Post
Hoping there's no such thing as a stupid question, cylinder #1 is the closest to the front of the Jeep, correct?

Thanks.

Parkatola
correct

301 could be any of about 10 different things, but no one here's going to give you the time of day on this unless you have double tipped platinum or iridum plugs in there....or a brand new set of copper plugs.
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
correct

301 could be any of about 10 different things, but no one here's going to give you the time of day on this unless you have double tipped platinum or iridum plugs in there....or a brand new set of copper plugs.
I would think that pulling the plug and taking a look would be easiest and cheapest place to start.

Unread 08-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
I would think that pulling the plug and taking a look would be easiest and cheapest place to start.
I would agree, however I have been told that 301 does not necessarily indicate cyclinder 1 miss.

The way I've been told, it goes like this:

300 = random miss
301 = catch all, could be any got dam thing, might be cylinder 1 miss.
302 = cylinder 2 miss
303 = cylinder 3 miss
304 = cylinder 4 miss
305 = cylinder 5 miss
306 = cylinder 6 miss

I think it's stupid as all get out and it pisses me right off.

My wild guess on the OP would be bad CPS.
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

He's got a four cylinder, so that narrows things down a bit.

I see you're heated, don't let JF work you up dude.

Unread 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
He's got a four cylinder, so that narrows things down a bit.

I see you're heated, don't let JF work you up dude.
lols to both statements

I'm not mad at JF, it just makes no logical sense to have 301 be a catch all...make 300 a catch all, or call it 307. 301 is stupid.

I mean this guy can pull plug 1, swap plugs, swap injectors, do compression and leakdown tests, check for exhaust leak and/or blown head gasket, buy a new coil rail....only to find out his CPS, or hell, even his PCM is bad, because 301 *might* be a #1 miss, or it could be a "catch all" code?

ludicrous.
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
EMTgeek
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw
lols to both statements I'm not mad at JF, it just makes no logical sense to have 301 be a catch all...make 300 a catch all, or call it 307. 301 is stupid. I mean this guy can pull plug 1, swap plugs, swap injectors, do compression and leakdown tests, check for exhaust leak and/or blown head gasket, buy a new coil rail....only to find out his CPS, or hell, even his PCM is bad, because 301 *might* be a #1 miss, or it could be a "catch all" code? ludicrous.
Had this same issue and I changed spark plugs, new coil rail, the whole 9 yards and my problem ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. Btw buy the mopar sensor from the stealership ( it's about ~75 bucks for me)
EMTgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #12
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTgeek View Post

Had this same issue and I changed spark plugs, new coil rail, the whole 9 yards and my problem ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. Btw buy the mopar sensor from the stealership ( it's about ~75 bucks for me)
Swatimsayingbro.....I think I just got a little dirt on mine...**** all the rest of that, I'm gonna 2 bolts and wipe before I do anything else....even though code says cylinder 1 miss.

Will report back, guy.
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #13
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cam or crank sensor could cause it, there is a way to inspect and check both. Search here as there are a few write ups. You can also try Stu Olsen's website. There's lots of good info there. If you have to replace a sensor, there are two really good options.

First is the stealership. The Mopar sensors are good.
Second is NAPA. The Echelin brand is also a good quality part. I have always bought them and never had an issue. You don't want the ones that Advance Auto, Autozone, or Orielly's sell. They are cheap POS.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Parkatola
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks to all who replied and offered help. Unfortunately, I'll have to keep everything in the files for future issues. We were rear-ended by a drunk driver a few weeks ago, which totaled this Jeep. It did its job and kept us safe (we were going 30 mph on a surface road and were hit hard enough from behind to totally smash in the back - no brakes or skidmarks on the road) with no major injuries other than whiplash symptoms, so we're grateful for that, but totally bummed about losing this fun little vehicle.

Anyway, thanks to all who replied and offered help. If I get another wrangler and it has this (or some other problem or issue), I'll be back here to get info from the collective wisdom of the forum members.

Thanks again.

Parkatola

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.