oxygen sensor question.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oxygen sensor question..

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

oxygen sensor question..

alright.. my 97 from what i was told has a 98 ZJ grand cherokee 4.0 engine . now the part number for both models are different. should i go ahead with a ZJ oxygen sensor? would the plug fit? http://www.quadratec.com/products/52449_0286.htm or order a 97 TJ sensor which is a different part number. also.. are the computers the same for the both? if not, should it have one from a ZJ? thanks getting terrible mileage

gene97sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

All your wiring harness should still be TJ, so you would need a TJ 02 sensor.

If you can post a picture, this can be verified. Post a picture under the hood and another showing the upstream 02 sensor.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If the engine swap was done correctly all the necessary TJ parts and engine accesories were installed on the ZJ block. Your Jeep, and your computer, don't know and can't tell the difference what block is installed. Order the correct parts for the make, model and year of Jeep you own.

I would buy an O2 sensor from a local parts store so I can compare the sensor and plug before I buy it.

You may even find that more than one model of Jeep uses the exact same O2 sensors.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #4
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 04-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #5
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

just took the pics. right now it has the 97 TJ bosch sensor with the plug. reading up that bosch isn't the way to go and with the error code 21 i'm getting

(Upstream oxygen sensor response slower than minimum required switching frequency. Upstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor heating element circuit malfunction. Downstream oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range. Oxygen sensor voltage too low, tested after cold start. (Upstream or Downstream) Left oxygen sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating temperature.)

should i replaced both up and downstream sensors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
If the engine swap was done correctly all the necessary TJ parts and engine accesories were installed on the ZJ block. Your Jeep, and your computer, don't know and can't tell the difference what block is installed. Order the correct parts for the make, model and year of Jeep you own.
makes sense
Unread 04-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would just do the upstream sensor.

I would also consider replacing your down pipe.

An easy way to do this is with a new cat, such as a high flow cat from Mangaflow. They sell a direct fit cat converter with pipe all the way to the header for around $100.

Someone replaced part of your down pipe and did a hack job. The 90 degree bend is killing your exhaust flow.
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I would just do the upstream sensor.

I would also consider replacing your down pipe.

An easy way to do this is with a new cat, such as a high flow cat from Mangaflow. They sell a direct fit cat converter with pipe all the way to the header for around $100.

Someone replaced part of your down pipe and did a hack job. The 90 degree bend is killing your exhaust flow.
i'll look into that right now! yea that 90 degree bend just didnt look right lol thanks for the help. if anyone has some links is to where to buy.. i'll try the google/ebay route.
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is a link to the Magnaflow converter I was referring to:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51410_101_07.htm

magnaflow-cat-converter.jpg
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And I would get the 02 sensor from the dealer.

You can negotiate with them on their prices. If you can get it down to 10% over cost, you're doing good.
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #10
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
And I would get the 02 sensor from the dealer.
www.rockauto.com has great prices on oem stuff.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yea, i was planning on getting the O2 sensor from the dealer. now the downpipe is included right? cause it only says Parts Included * Catalytic Converter on the quadratec site http://www.quadratec.com/products/51410_101_07.htm
Unread 04-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
www.rockauto.com has great prices on oem stuff.
yea, they have good prices
Unread 04-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene97sport View Post
yea, they have good prices
from RA on my mustang forums for more discount.

Quote:
Just enter discount code: C0B2B01F848C in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” line of your shopping cart. This code expires 4/23/2009.
with o2 sensors ALWAYS use the OEM version. I can't even count how many people i know that have had issues with knock off o2 sensors.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #14
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55120_10.htm
http://www.quadratec.com/products/55120_09.htm

quadratec has 2 type of sensors for the 97-00 model. are these OEM?
Unread 04-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
gene97sport
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok ordered oem sensors and the magnaflow setup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.