Oxygen Sensor Problem / Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oxygen Sensor Problem / Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 03-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
jeep11484
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oxygen Sensor Problem / Question

Okay, i just bought an 01 Wrangler on Saturday. It was just too good of a deal to pass up and is in exceptional condition (since it's never been off road and garage kept). I started it today and my check engine light came on. I did the key trick and the codes that pulled up in the dash were P0136, P0141 and P0161.
I did all the searches and found a lot of info that helped me with the original problem. From what I gathered it is a problem with my Oxygen sensor(s). It looks like I need to replace both of the oxygen sensors downstream on the front and rear of the manifold. Hopefully that makes sense.
So once i figured that out i went to Advance Auto since they are right down the street from to see if they have the parts i need. It looks like i need Bosch part #13687 and part #13691. I can get the first part easy but the second one is supposedly discontinued according to Advance.
So i decided to look online to see what i came up with. I searched and found a site that supposedly has it but once i put it in my cart it actually changes the part number to #13687.
So the question i have is are part #13687 and #13691 interchangeable? I pulled the connectors apart tonight and they look the same, so am i missing something or am i just an idiot?

jeep11484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #2
jeep11484
2008 JK Wrangler 

this is a double post. My computer froze on the original so i started over but it actually posted both. Please delete this one. Thx
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
txflood3
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have an '01 and just ran through a ton of trouble with my O2 sensors....here is what I learned....

Bosch sensors are hit or miss....they may work, they may not
I was buying the universal plugs so I spliced the wires together
I did buy 1 plug and play and worked ok
the consensus on these boards is don't waste your money with Bosch
spend the extra $20 and get the right one from Jeep and change it once....just make sure you know the ones you need...each one has a different price at Jeep
txflood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
jeep11484
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflood3 View Post
I have an '01 and just ran through a ton of trouble with my O2 sensors....here is what I learned....

Bosch sensors are hit or miss....they may work, they may not
I was buying the universal plugs so I spliced the wires together
I did buy 1 plug and play and worked ok
the consensus on these boards is don't waste your money with Bosch
spend the extra $20 and get the right one from Jeep and change it once....just make sure you know the ones you need...each one has a different price at Jeep
Yeah i was gonna call the Jeep dealership tomorrow and see what i could get. I didn't want to go the route of buying universals just b/c it takes longer and i have heard they are not as durable as the direct fit type. Hopefully i can get this figured out so i can get back on the road trouble free.
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
bandofjeepsys
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely stay away from Bosch sensors. Check out www.oxygensensors.com. I have not had any problems with the Denso or Walker sensors. Make sure and get that sensor socket too!
bandofjeepsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
txflood3
2001 TJ Wrangler 

everyone has their opinions on tools and how it made a task easier.....I just used an open end wrench...no problems at all
txflood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
jeep11484
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofjeepsys View Post
Definitely stay away from Bosch sensors. Check out www.oxygensensors.com. I have not had any problems with the Denso or Walker sensors. Make sure and get that sensor socket too!
They seem to be priced right thats for sure! Thanks for the info. What is so bad about Bosch? It was actually recommended from the post i read.
Unread 03-18-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
timmytimm3
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tech Tip- Use penatrating fluid before even trying to break them free. If you are really straining, heat up the threads on the manifold with a torch. Be patient and don't strip them out. Mine were a real ***** to get out! I also applied never seize to the new threads.
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.