oxygen sensor information needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > oxygen sensor information needed

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
mmtphoto

oxygen sensor information needed

seems like all my 'drivers' are either in need of or due to get new O2 sensors, and my 98 tj with a 4.0 is getting there (92,000) sooooo....
what is considered "original equipment" (brand)-I did look from up top, it looks like it only has one upstream-is that correct? (It's raining here, did not want Chinese water torture to see if that is correct).
I have my winter tires on now (almost new 31 x10.5 all terrain T/A) and my gas mileage is pretty bad-like, 12 or 13 mpg. If you factor that these are taller tires, and much heavier than the 235-70's that I run in the summer, it's reasonable to think I'm getting closer to 14-15, and I guess this vehicle is used more on short trips, around town-I figure, new O2 sensor cannot hurt, anybody know where the correct one (with the connector attached, don't really want to go the splice and soder route) can be had? thanks

mmtphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #2
Metzgerhund
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your 98 has 2 sensors. One upstream on the exhaust manifold and one on the catalytic converter. The one upstream is for air/fuel ratio and the one on the cat. is for exhaust emissions. When I took off my Borla Cat-back and put on a Kolak exhaust I replaced my upstream sensor. Nothing was wrong with it but my Jeep has a little over 100,000 miles on it so I wanted to replace it anyway. The senor on my cat I'm not really concerned about. You can bypass these anyways so what's the point. I need it for inspection and that's it. So if this one needs replaced I'll wait till I get the CEL for it.
Unread 01-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Correct, there's only 1 upstream sensor on your model year TJ.

I'm not sure who makes the OE part, but I do know its about $80 from the dealer.

I recommend the dealer part. You can get an aftermarket sensor that will plug right in for $20-30 cheaper, but they typically do not last as long.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine today with a Denso,cost was 52 dollars.I hope it helps increase my fuel mileage.The factory O2 had 170k miles on it and still seemed to work ok.I figured i'd give it try to see if it really makes any difference in fuel mileage.It seems to run the same so i'd have to say the factory O2 is good for a very long time.The factory O2 didn't have a brand name on it i could find,only a part number.
Nonya is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.