Oxygen Sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oxygen Sensor

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Fajitafred
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oxygen Sensor

Hello,

I am new to the Jeep Forum, so forgive me if this question has been answered somewhere on the site. I have my 97 Wrangler 4.0 and the other day after a hot hour and half drive my check engine light came on. I went to a local parts store and had them see what it was. The code turns out to be P0138, and the print out said, heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2. From what I've heard this something that a novice repairman like myself can do. However, I know that there are more than one sensor on my car. So my question is based of the information I provided, which sensor is it? I found one that is right after the catalytic converter, is this the one? Also if it is, do I have to remove the skid plate that is near it or can I just get to the sensor without removing it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fajitafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

"Sensor 2" is the rear-most sensor...the one after the cat. However, I'd suggest that you do a couple of things before you buy a new sensor. First, check the fuses and relays under the hood...if the fuse is blown, then the P0138 code will be thrown. If the fuse is good, then crawl under the Jeep and start checking the connector and wiring for signs of damage. Both of these checks will take you no longer than five minutes, and that's if you don't know where to look. If you cannot find any sort of simple cause for the heater circuit to be out, then go ahead and swap the O2 sensor. For that, I suggest Liquid Wrench, an O2 sensor socket and an impact gun...you'll avoid most of the hassle with that combination.

Welcome to JF!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

AMEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I suggest Liquid Wrench, an O2 sensor socket and an impact gun...you'll avoid most of the hassle with that combination.

Welcome to JF!
On an older vehicle I spray the threads of the O2 sensor multiple times over several days before attempting the swap. I don't use an impact wrench though, and sometimes depending on where the sensor is an open ended or box end wrench works better.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
On an older vehicle I spray the threads of the O2 sensor multiple times over several days before attempting the swap. I don't use an impact wrench though, and sometimes depending on where the sensor is an open ended or box end wrench works better.
This is excellent advice. When I checked mine not long ago, they just backed right on out with no effort whatsoever...but that's decidedly not the norm. I did, however, do exactly as Zen described...started soaking them about three days ahead of time.

I've found that the impact tends to take rusted stuff off quicker with less collateral damage...but a box-end and enough BFH will approximate an impact any day of the week!

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen sensor , p0138

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.