Oxygen 02 Sensor FAQ and Information - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Oxygen 02 Sensor FAQ and Information

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 10-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #16
Jeeeps
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to replace my o2 sensors because i've been getting higher fuel usage lately plus the fact i've done 140,000klm with the factory ones. My only problem is which ones to go for. I've had a look around the web and come the conclusion that 1997-1999 TJ's have 2 o2 sensors which are:

Pre Cat NTK #231151
Post Cat NTK #23099

2000+ TJ's supposedly have 4x o2 sensors. 2000 TJ's sensor list:

Rear Pre-Cat upstream NTK #23506
Rear Post-Cat downstream NTK #23099
Front Pre-Cat upstream NTK # 23099
Front Post-Cat downstream # 23110

2001-2003 are listed as:

Front Pre-cat NTK #23139
Front Post-cat NTK #23142
Rear Pre-cat NTK #23138
Rear Post-cat NTK #23141

And then there's another 4 different part numbers for 2004+ TJ's.

My problem is than according to my VIN# mine's a 2002 (which makes sense seeing as i bought it new from the dealer in 2002) however i can only find 2x o2 sensors. I don't seem to have any little cat converters up near the headers that i know later models supposedly had. I can only find 2x sensors in the exhaust system located before and after the cat converter which is located down above the t-case bashplate.

Does this mean that i should go with the 97-99 model o2 sensors as those years appear to be the only ones in the US that only had 2x o2 sensors?

Has anyone else had this issue? Can anyone else with a 2002 TJ confirm that they've only got 2x o2 sensors or is my TJ a weird one? Mine was bought new in australia and is a right hand drive TJ. Perhaps because it's an export there is a difference?

cheers

Jeeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
2004JeepTJ

Thank you to the original poster and the others who have shared the info. here. Thank you! Very helpful explanations in this thread.
Unread 11-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #18
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is great info!

IFAIK, all the O2 sensors are the same: 4 wire - heated. The real differences are the wire pigtail (wire) lengths and the manufacturer's plug connection. There are other minor differences like connector color and wire cover material.
I would not use a "unversal" sensor that requires you to splice the wires to your old connector.

More Information for DENSO 2344588

I used Denso when I had to replace one of mine, here's what I found:

DENSO Part # 2344588 OE Style 17.99" lead
Front (Upstream); Cylinder 1,2,3

DENSO Part # 2344587 OE Style 11.81" lead
Front (Upstream); Cylinder 4,5,6

DENSO Part # 2344771 OE Style 11.81" lead
Rear (Downstream); Cylinder 1,2,3

DENSO Part # 2344768 OE Style 18.19" lead
Rear (Downstream); Cylinder 4,5,6
Unread 12-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #19
tiger-bailey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here are the 2005/2006 Mopar part numbers:

before - 56028995AB
before - 56028994AB
after - 56029049AA
after - 56029050AA

Australian Cattle Dogs
tiger-bailey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have p2096 and p0133 code coming up in my 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited and I changed the bank1/sensor1 02 with a bosch 15123 (reset the codes after replacing) and 75 miles later the same exact codes popped up? Anyone have any idea what I should do next to try and resolve this issue?
UltimateCC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:49 AM   #21
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCC View Post
I have p2096 and p0133 code coming up in my 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited and I changed the bank1/sensor1 02 with a bosch 15123 (reset the codes after replacing) and 75 miles later the same exact codes popped up? Anyone have any idea what I should do next to try and resolve this issue?
Put in a Mopar sensor. I had exactly the same thing happen with that Bosch universal crap (and if you do some searches plenty of other people did too).
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #22
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I put the Mopar sensor in and p0133 code went away but the p2096 came back. So i reset it again and now both came back. I am lost on what I should do now and I have gotten two tickets for having expired inspection already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
Unread 02-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #23
speed_phreak
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCC View Post
I put the Mopar sensor in and p0133 code went away but the p2096 came back. So i reset it again and now both came back. I am lost on what I should do now and I have gotten two tickets for having expired inspection already. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
I don't know if it makes you feel any better, but I am in the same boat... I have a 2005 RME with 34,000 and I have both codes. I don't have to go through emissions testing until June, but I am going to replace both O2 sensors and try to get to the bottom of this early...

So far I have done:

1.) I have been running a through some Techron with the overdrive off (auto) in case there was some kind of buildup to no avail.

2.) Had a buddy clean the throttle body and idle air controller.

I plan to:

1.) Replace both front O2 senors (pre and post cat) with Mopar replacements.
2.) Take a look at the spark plugs and see if they tell a story. Replace if necessary.
2.) Spray flammable aerosol (pb blaster maybe?) around the vacuum tubes to test for a vacuum leak.

Please pass on anything you find out about fixing your issue....
speed_phreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #24
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If your O2 sensor is good, that really only leaves and exhaust leak or a bad cat.
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #25
kenmal
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just replaced all 4 of mine, only one downstream gave me trouble used NTK ( Ngk ) ofcoarse.
kenmal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmal View Post
Just replaced all 4 of mine, only one downstream gave me trouble used NTK ( Ngk ) ofcoarse.
That brings up an interesting theory: I wonder if the difference (as apposed to certain values) between the upstream O2 sensor and the downstream O2 sensor is what triggers a MIL. Could perhaps having different manufacturer sensors (with slightly different outputs) compound this problem? It would be interesting putting different O2 sensors on a test stand to see how they compare with one-another.

When working at Volvo dealership (way back when) we would get blown bulb indicator coming on. Replacing the bad bulb sometimes did NOT always correct the indicator, and we would frequently have to replace both Right and Left side bulbs (to equal the voltage draw?) to get the indiactor lamp to go out. I never really researched why this would work this way, just knew the fix.

Now, granted the O2 sensor is providing input for a far more sophisticated module, but it would be valuable to know why some of us are having re-occuring problems with O2 sensors. For the record: I replaced my bank 1, downstream sensor with a Nippon Denso IIRC and never had another hiccup.
Unread 02-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #27
UltimateCC
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is there a mopar part number for the Downstream, Front Manifold - Bank One, Sensor Two for 2005-2006 jeep wrangler?
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:05 AM   #28
wgourley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

any chance anyone knows the mopar part #'s for 2005 wrangler? my light came on a few times in the last few weeks. i got a couple long road trips ahead of me in the new fext months so i am replacing them all so i dont have to deal with it on the road.

thanks for the help.
wgourley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #29
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgourley View Post
any chance anyone knows the mopar part #'s for 2005 wrangler? my light came on a few times in the last few weeks. i got a couple long road trips ahead of me in the new fext months so i am replacing them all so i dont have to deal with it on the road.

thanks for the help.
Try here, download the parts manual.

http://www.acrobatplanet.com/manual-...-s-manual.html

I wouldn't get too hung up on the Chysler-Jeep part specifically. Jeep doesn't make the sensor, they buy it from a another manufacture (although I would avoid Bosch sensors like the plague).
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #30
wgourley
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I already ordered them through the local Chrysler/jeep dealer. They had 2 in stock and had to order 2. The only distinguishing thing I have are the part numbers on the bag they’re in. the dealer told me the electrical connectors would be different but the 2 I have already are have the same connectors.
wgourley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.