OX Lockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OX Lockers

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 02-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Tredloc
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OX Lockers

I am looking to put OX lockers that fit my 2006 TJ and also upgrade with Chromoly axels. Everything is stock as far as the drive train, with the exception of 33 wheels, 3.5 lift kit, slip yoke, drive shaft,and gear ratio at 4.10. I have heard horror stories regarding the retainer clips breaking, but will lockers tend to add insult to injury, or are there other options without swapping out everything and going complete Dana 44 with OX?
No intent of going rock crawling, just want that extra when I need it. Snow and Sand is of the occasional trips, mostly trail trips.

Tredloc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #2
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

You don't list it on your profile, but by the way you said, "or are there other options without swapping out everything and going complete Dana 44 with OX?", makes me believe that you have a Dana 35 rear axle. Just by switching to chromoly axles, you won't eliminate the other Dana 35 weakness, the spider gears. Unless you plan on going to a Superior Super 35 Kit, I wouldn't put a locker in a Dana 35.

If you're only going to be wheeling in sand and snow, a locker might not be of very much benefit to you anyway, as long as all of your tires keep in contact with the ground. I think you might be better off just making sure to air down your tires and get either a Currie Antirock Swaybar or ORO SwayLoc.

David

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
shawn1980
1999 TJ Wrangler 

but if he put's in an ox locker there is no more spider gears. i have ox front and rear and love them. i also have alloy usa 30 spline shafts in the rear. it's nice to know if you need them you have em flip a lever and go imo.
green jeep club member #122
shawn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Tinker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1980 View Post
but if he put's in an ox locker there is no more weak spider gears. i have ox front and rear and love them. i also have alloy usa 30 spline shafts in the rear. it's nice to know if you need them you have em flip a lever and go imo.
Gotta agree with this. oh and X2 ^^
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

a locked axle can help allot in sand. if you have a bit of a side-hill the uphill tire will look like its spinning but it wont be pulling/pushing the vehicle its rotation will only keep up with the others. had a situation where a lockerless friend was drifting sideways into the ocean. the slope was minimal but the front end had a hard time keeping it pointed in the right direction. others with lockers had no problem. our "sand" is very course shell material that has allot of air in it and is very deep.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1980 View Post
but if he put's in an ox locker there is no more spider gears. i have ox front and rear and love them. i also have alloy usa 30 spline shafts in the rear. it's nice to know if you need them you have em flip a lever and go imo.
Locking your front Dana 30 is a lot different than locking his rear Dana 35c which is simply not strong enough for a locker. Your front Dana 30 will survive being locked, his rear Dana 35c will not. Why? Because the front axle seldom sees more than about 50% of the torque that the rear axle commonly sees.

A stock Dana 35c rear axle should never be locked. It can be upgraded so it can survive being locked but stock, it's not up to being locked. Really.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWDFUN View Post
I am looking to put OX lockers that fit my 2006 TJ and also upgrade with Chromoly axels. Everything is stock as far as the drive train, with the exception of 33 wheels, 3.5 lift kit, slip yoke, drive shaft,and gear ratio at 4.10. I have heard horror stories regarding the retainer clips breaking, but will lockers tend to add insult to injury, or are there other options without swapping out everything and going complete Dana 44 with OX?
No intent of going rock crawling, just want that extra when I need it. Snow and Sand is of the occasional trips, mostly trail trips.
the clips don't fail.

The shaft fails. A regular 27 spline D35 haft necks down from 1.3" to 1.15". Where the transition is is where it fails.
If your going with an OX, get the 30 spline version and the cromo shafts to go with it. you'll have no problems then.
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Selectable lockers are great even in snow, most people don't like auto lockers on snow and ice because they lock when ever they have power so they tend to push out to a fish tale. With selectables like a an OX this is eliminated. Lockers are great in deep snow, off road. Lockers lead opens follow in deep snow wheeling. But as far as your rear axle to put an OX locker in it you are going to have to get a super 35 kit with and OX locker which they do make now. A stock D35 won't take a locker, even with chromemoly shafts, you could do it with a c-clip elminator kit, and a locker.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
shawn1980
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Locking your front Dana 30 is a lot different than locking his rear Dana 35c which is simply not strong enough for a locker. Your front Dana 30 will survive being locked, his rear Dana 35c will not. Why? Because the front axle seldom sees more than about 50% of the torque that the rear axle commonly sees.

A stock Dana 35c rear axle should never be locked. It can be upgraded so it can survive being locked but stock, it's not up to being locked. Really.
I understand that jerry. that is why I stated that I upgraded the rear to alloy USA shafts
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
dbno123
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have OX lockers front and rear (D30 & D35) with stock 27 spline axles and i've never had a problem. I love them and I would definitally recomend them to anyone. I do some hard wheeling but its mud or dirt. I dont do any rock crawling. Everybody has there own opinion but with my experiance there great!
dbno123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
0II0
KF4VGI

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have an Ox in the rear 35 as well. But do it right and go with the s35 with 30 spline alloy shafts. Otherwise you will be wondering if it will hold everytime you pull the lever to engage.
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
Tredloc
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanx All, looks like a Superior S35 w/C cip eliminator and alloy shafts are the ticket. Will most likely add alloy up front and OX F&R. Appreciate the info.
Tredloc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #13
shawn1980
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you will love that setup imo.
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKWDFUN View Post
Thanx All, looks like a Superior S35 w/C cip eliminator and alloy shafts are the ticket. Will most likely add alloy up front and OX F&R. Appreciate the info.
that's a solid combo
Unread 02-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #15
rickm8
1999 TJ Wrangler 

:] glad to see people getting resolutions on here haha
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY #362
rickm8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.