OX locker shifter install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OX locker shifter install

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

OX locker shifter install

Here is my install of the shifter for my Ox locker in my Dana 44 swap.
I ordered this bracket from polyperformance that can be used in several locations in your jeep. I painted the bracket a few days before.

Since I am doing U-pol in the tub later this month I decided to not cut up the carpet. Itís in good shape and I plan on throwing it on EBAY later. I folded the carpet out of the way and laid the bracket upside down to mark the mounting location. I liked the spot under the front of the seat. It is out of the way, and the shifter itself can be locked so you wonít engage it by accident.

I used my dremel tool and 4 or 5 cutting wheels to make the cut. Since there is a fair amount of sparks I threw down a damp towel to keep the sparks from leaving any marks on the folded up carpet.

I marked the location for the self tapping screws I picked up and drilled the holes. Then I used some paint to cover up the bare metal so I wouldnít get any rust.

Test fit of the bracket and shifter. I used the L mount that came with the shifter to cover up under the shifter a little.

I slipped the bracket in from the top. Then I crawled under the Jeep and slipped the shifter through and screwed it all together. I added some lock washers since none came with it.

All set. I just folded the carpet back over for now until I get my u-pol liner in.
Now Iím all set for the swap.

Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Max-Q
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks really nice
Max-Q is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of a manual cable locking hub. The ARB looks really good, but it also means a compressor et. el. More things to break when you least need them to.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

http://rockspyder4x4.com

http://koolkat4x4.org
TheHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I know the guys with ARB's all seem to like them, and they have a good rep. The Ox workes great for me. I liked the manual shift. You can get electric and air shift for the OX now to.
Unread 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not knocking the ARB stuff, I just think for me personally, I prefer your setup. I think when I do get a locker, it will be an OX. I know everyone says putting a locker in a D35 is borderline insane, but if I upgrade the D35 to an S35, for me I don't see any big issue with putting in a manual locker. I don't intend to put anything bigger then 31" on my rig. OH; and a 2" BB. I like the look of my 31"'s but it does need a bit more clearance, for looks. I don't do hard core off-roading, actually I've yet to do any with this Jeep. Perhaps the odd fire road, or some very light trails.

The only True Professional Mechanic in the Greater Toronto Area for Modified Jeeps, and trucks. If Rock Spyder hasn't seen it before, or done it before, you don't need it.

Unread 11-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
tehub
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerd View Post
I'm not knocking the ARB stuff, I just think for me personally, I prefer your setup. I think when I do get a locker, it will be an OX. I know everyone says putting a locker in a D35 is borderline insane, but if I upgrade the D35 to an S35, for me I don't see any big issue with putting in a manual locker. I don't intend to put anything bigger then 31" on my rig. OH; and a 2" BB. I like the look of my 31"'s but it does need a bit more clearance, for looks. I don't do hard core off-roading, actually I've yet to do any with this Jeep. Perhaps the odd fire road, or some very light trails.
I have a similar setup, and I feel the exact same.
Unread 11-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
charliec
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hope you don't find to big of a pain to go under the seat to engage the Ox lock. I had mine mounted on the center shifter bezel on my '99 TJ worked great there. I had the Ox in there till I busted the spider gears then I just went with a a posi till the damm thing got stolen from work. Damm I miss that Jeep, Now I'm stuck driving a stock '05 TJ till I save the money for lift and biger tires. Someday.
charliec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I looked at mounting the shifter in or on the center console, but I didn't like any of the set-ups I saw. They always seem the be in the way. It's not hard at all to flip the shifter the way I have it. If you have a giant beer gut and find tieing your shoes hard to do you might not like this set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliec View Post
Hope you don't find to big of a pain to go under the seat to engage the Ox lock. I had mine mounted on the center shifter bezel on my '99 TJ worked great there. I had the Ox in there till I busted the spider gears then I just went with a a posi till the damm thing got stolen from work. Damm I miss that Jeep, Now I'm stuck driving a stock '05 TJ till I save the money for lift and biger tires. Someday.
Unread 11-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
TheHeretic
Kool Kat 4x4

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
... If you have a beer gut and find tieing your shoes hard to do you might not like this set up.

There goes THAT idea

Unread 01-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
pdangerp

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Tuffy Underseat drawer, I'm not sure it would work in this location with the shifter there as well. I ended up going with it mounted next to the other shifters.
pdangerp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdangerp View Post
I have a Tuffy Underseat drawer, I'm not sure it would work in this location with the shifter there as well. I ended up going with it mounted next to the other shifters.
This is just one of many options for mounting the shifter. I found numerous write-ups for the locations. I snapped a couple pictures to show how much the shifter sticks up.

Unread 04-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
pile_alcalineNJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

really like how you have this set up, regardless of my beer gut i would probably go this same route when i finally save enough for both the 44 and the ox
Unread 04-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It has worked well so far. It's not bad to lock or unlock while wheeling,and it's out of the way the rest of the time. With the front OX in the near future I do know that lever will go on the transmission hump. The front locker will be switched on and off much more.
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up.

Added to the FAQ.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.