Overheating... I think? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Overheating... I think?

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSave on Warn Winches and TENOFF Promotion!

Unread 02-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
YJheretostay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Overheating... I think?

Hey everyone,
So I stopped at a 7/11 today, and upon getting out of my TJ I smelled the worrisome smell of boiling coolant. I sniffed again and decided I was imagining things, but upon exiting the 7/11 I noticed that there was smoke coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and looked and I saw that there was coolant everywhere (I'm guessing it got flung around by my serpantine belt). I had to get to class, but I carefully monitored my engine temp the whole way to school and now I'm even more confused! When I got in, the temp was slightly higher than 210 but not in the red, and I drove for a bit and it stayed right where it was. Then, I turned on the heat in an attempt to cool it down and it went down to 210 where it usually is. It even went below 210 for a bit on the short drive. When I got to school I popped the hood again and there was way more coolant everywhere. My question is, where are some common places that coolant leaks happen? Thanks for reading this wall of text

YJheretostay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #2
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is the radiator original? Probably leaking out of the tank crimps and spraying everywhere.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #3
YJheretostay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Is the radiator original? Probably leaking out of the tank crimps and spraying everywhere.
It's actually less than a year old, I replaced it last summer and it has been in good shape up until today!
Unread 02-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJheretostay View Post
It's actually less than a year old, I replaced it last summer and it has been in good shape up until today!
What brand/type is the replacement?

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
YJheretostay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to look after class. I got it from Advance Auto Parts though.
Unread 02-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
JWebber
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Let the engine cool down, fill the rad with more fluid (or water for now) Rent a rad pressure tester kit from your local parts store etc.. Then you will find your leak! But before you do this clean off all anti freeze from under the hood and areas. Unless you know where its leaking?
JWebber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
YJheretostay
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWebber View Post
Let the engine cool down, fill the rad with more fluid (or water for now) Rent a rad pressure tester kit from your local parts store etc.. Then you will find your leak! But before you do this clean off all anti freeze from under the hood and areas. Unless you know where its leaking?
Well the weird thing is, my coolant reservoir is still at the full line! I'm hoping that the radiator isn't failing to pull extra coolant from it.
Unread 02-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It can leak from the Rad, Hose, Clamps, Water pump etc. If theres a sizable leak the cap wont let it pull from the bottle. When the engine cools it forms a vacuum to pull from the bottle.

Leak= No vacuum. You really need to remove the cap and look in the radiator and look at the rubber seals on the cap too. those go bad and it wont hold pressure or vacuum as designed.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.