overheating? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > overheating?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 07-28-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

overheating?

hey guys lately when i park my jeep after driving ive been hearing coolant being sucked out of the overflow bottle. i dont beleave it suppose to be in there unless im over heating am i right? im not amazing at cars and knowing how they work but i dont beleave this is supposed to happen.

what do you guys think?

Anthony

Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

What's the temp reading?If it reads 210,it's not overheating.How can you HEAR it being sucked OUT and not IN?When it's hot,that's where it goes.They make noises after being stopped.It's normal.

Last edited by TheBoogieman; 07-28-2009 at 01:51 PM..
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler

I'm having the same problem, sounds like someone slurping on a drink when I get done driving. Also, there is a nice aroma of coolant.

Searching for a CJ again

Sold: 2000 TJ
1983 CJ7 Renegade
djfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

after i shut off the jeep and i walk past the front of it going inside i hear like a slurping like djfuzzy said i opened up the hood and i saw coolant being sucked back into the engine from the overflow.

im thinking maybe theres too much coolant in the engine but then wouldnt it not get sucked back in ?

idk im confused
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
04tjrubi7777

I have the same problem!

I have an 04 rubicon with 33s and it sees a lot of highway use and during the summer it always runs 210 or 215 and i already replaced the fan clutch and the thermostat and had the radiator flushed and it still does it! If i run it without the t-stat it runs about 195 or 200. Is this normal and should i be worried? Could my water pump be going out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
04tjrubi7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

200 is fine. coolant expands when its hot, so thats why its moving in and out of the coolant bottle. its supposed to do that....unless you've got a coolant leak and you're having to add coolant...thats different.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

I had a hairline crack in my radiator, caused the coolant smell, resevoir to be emptied out. It was so small that I coulndt find the leak.
duanewhatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When you first shut the engine off, it's no longer being cooled. The over flow tank will fill more. As the cooling system cools down, the fluid is sucked back into the system...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.