over priced lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > over priced lifts

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
alaska55

over priced lifts

Just bought a 04 tj a couple of weeks ago, been checking out lift
kits. cannot believe the cost, 2" bb 200 from re for 4 shocks and spacers. those spacer probabily cost less than $5 in material and labor to make. 3" basic lift from teraflex for more $500 and you don't even get shocks. hell the spring probabity cost less than $20 to manufacture and what esle do you get, not much, it sure doesn't add up to even $100. we use spring in my line of work I know what they cost us. On top of they tell you it's 3" or 3.5 of lift and it really more like 4-4.75 and you have buy a bunch of other stuff to get rid of vibrations. if they were really 3 or 3.5 you might not have to,now tell me who's playing the con game here.

Scott

alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55
Just bought a 04 tj a couple of weeks ago, been checking out lift
kits. cannot believe the cost, 2" bb 200 from re for 4 shocks and spacers. those spacer probabily cost less than $5 in material and labor to make. 3" basic lift from teraflex for more $500 and you don't even get shocks. hell the spring probabity cost less than $20 to manufacture and what esle do you get, not much, it sure doesn't add up to even $100. we use spring in my line of work I know what they cost us. On top of they tell you it's 3" or 3.5 of lift and it really more like 4-4.75 and you have buy a bunch of other stuff to get rid of vibrations. if they were really 3 or 3.5 you might not have to,now tell me who's playing the con game here.

Scott
Lol, you obviously haven't ever checked out lifts for Full size trucks.... Everything in this world has a huge mark-up, even the groceries you buy. For another example look at houses, materials are a fraction of the total cost of the house. Shoot, for a third example, how much do you think it cost to make that shiny new 04 TJ? A lot less than it cost to buy it, I'll tell you that.

You're paying for their expertise and ability to make something. If you can make it yourself then more power to ya. If I could make everything I needed I wouldn't be paying someone else to do it, but I don't know a whole lot of people who can make coil springs myself. Do you?

On the subject of lift height, you know that you're going to get more than advertised so plan ahead. If you only need 3" of lift buy a 2 or 2.5" suspension lift. I really don't see what your problem is here.

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 08:37 PM   #3
Owen

in a capitalist economy supply and demand dictact price... If it was not worth teh money then it wouldn't cost what it does... As said above full size trucks cost about twice as much to lift... If you want to get into a cheaper sport you should look into quilting...

http://www.quilt.com/MainQuiltingPage.html

2" budget boost... ifthe pucks cost about $5 each to make like you stated then you are spending $45 a shock... How much do you think high quality shocks cost for any vehicle? I don't think its obscene at all....

Last edited by Owen; 01-07-2004 at 08:40 PM..
Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #4
Shawno

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55
3" basic lift from teraflex for more $500
I understand your point but on a side note.......
I got my 3" Teraflex kit from Bob Supplee for much much less than $500 shipped!

Just an FYI. Happy trails.
Teraflex 3T/MORE 1" BL/33's on Rockrawlers/F:BD At'sR:Tera's/Tera QD's/K&N/AtoZ Rockers+ Bumper/PoisonSpyder Roll cage/ Bestop Tire Carrier/Warn Skids / Olympic rear Bumper/Cb&KC's/OBA/MML in garage ;-) +Bushwackers
[URL=http://img57.photobucket.com/albums/v175/shawno13/DSCN0558.jpg]Pic 1[/URL][URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/shawno13/OFR_04/OFR.jpg]pic 2 [/URL]
[SIZE=3][URL=www.newenglandjeepz.com][COLOR=blue][COLOR=red]New[/COLOR][COLOR=white]England[/COLOR]Jeepz[/COLOR] [/URL][/SIZE]
Shawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Rubicon rims/tires are going for $1000+ on eBay! How's that for a rip? Get used to it..
Unread 01-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
NCjeeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUGGLER
If you want to get into a cheaper sport you should look into quilting...

http://www.quilt.com/MainQuiltingPage.html

LMAO!!!! (stupid 20 character rule)

Andy

'99 Flame Red Wrangler Sport - "Ol' Red"

Banks header, RE 2" BB, JKS Discos, 32x11.5 Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTXs, 15x8 AR767, LOD Swing-out, busted knuckes, etc.
NCjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
alaska55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonjm
Lol, you obviously haven't ever checked out lifts for Full size trucks.... Everything in this world has a huge mark-up, even the groceries you buy. For another example look at houses, materials are a fraction of the total cost of the house. Shoot, for a third example, how much do you think it cost to make that shiny new 04 TJ? A lot less than it cost to buy it, I'll tell you that.

You're paying for their expertise and ability to make something. If you can make it yourself then more power to ya. If I could make everything I needed I wouldn't be paying someone else to do it, but I don't know a whole lot of people who can make coil springs myself. Do you?

On the subject of lift height, you know that you're going to get more than advertised so plan ahead. If you only need 3" of lift buy a 2 or 2.5" suspension lift. I really don't see what your problem is here.
Lifting trucks and suvs with IFS is another ballgame a lot more engineering, springs and spacers are much cheaper. houses are very labor intensive the mark on spacers and spring probility 20x plus i know houses or cars aren't marked up even close to 25%
alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
Blue Columbia

yeah i work in the fabrication field here and there and lemme tell ya somethings you will find are severely maked up like cheap furniture and rapid construction stuff

but like a jeep where it takes People who cost $$$ an hour to make, plus the cost of machines for people to use plus the cost of materials, not to forget management and building lease costs.

the olny way they can make any money is to mass produce them and charge what they charge.

and some companies even jeep have contracts and subcontractors to mass produce parts for them they are not all made inhouse in fact almost all are made out of house.

Edit - almost forgot about the people who have to get paid big cash to design these parts
Blue Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #9
RockPaws

In my opinion, If you have the talent to build the parts yourself.. Build them. It normally takes longer, because now you get to be the engineer, fabricator, finding and purchasing materials, etc…
I have build most of the items on my personal jeep and for my customers Jeeps. It’s a lot of fun and sometimes very time consuming. But most of all I enjoy building items that really work.
On the other hand, I also purchase items build by others. So it all works together. You may pay more for an item, but you also get to use it right away. Instead of weeks later.
Remember you get what you pay for (as the saying goes). Buy cheep.. you have a cheep Jeep.
If your tired of the high prices Try our very own ( www.redrock4x4.com )Red Rock 4x4, Jason is great to work with, and knows the products he sells. And a nice Jeep forum discount to boot.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.