Outboarding Rear Shocks W/O SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Outboarding Rear Shocks W/O SYE

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Outboarding Rear Shocks W/O SYE

So some of you might have seen my build, most of you may not have. Anyway, I'm getting ready to do a 44 rear swap and a 5" rear stretch via XJ leafs (much like Red_Smoke's build). Anyway, I'm still running the stock cross member/skid and slip yoke style drive shaft. During the stretch, I'll be stretching my factory drive shaft. (Eventually, I upgrade to an SYE/belly up, just not right now). I'm considering out-boarding the rear shocks using ford shock towers and some 12" travel shocks and knocking that out during my stretch/axle swap..

What's holding me back is the fact that I'm still running the factory slip yoke. I can't have the drive shaft fall into two pieces during articulation. Is this possible? Has anyone on here out-boarded to 12" travel shocks with a factory slip yoke? I need some input as soon as possible!

kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just do an SYE....

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
Bordr329
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why are you using leaf springs?
Bordr329 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just get a sye. A hack & tap sye is pretty cheap, or you can use limiting straps as a short term solution to limit your travel.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I cant speak for your amount of stretch, but with no shocks Ive cycled through what I determined to be around the limits of ~11 in travel shocks outboarded in preparation for mine. On 2.5 rear springs With the way I have my rear pinion angle adjusted I have no DS issues. Im running a chopped down XJ shaft for the length ( I have ~ 1.5 inches of "fudged" stretch with a new TB mount.)

I intend to outboard over winter break and relocate the coil perches. It looks completely plausible w/o a DC shaft and SYE with the setup I have now. If you save the DS for last and cut to fit I would think you would be ok.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
I cant speak for your amount of stretch, but with no shocks Ive cycled through what I determined to be around the limits of ~11 in travel shocks outboarded in preparation for mine. On 2.5 rear springs With the way I have my rear pinion angle adjusted I have no DS issues. Im running a chopped down XJ shaft for the length ( I have ~ 1.5 inches of "fudged" stretch with a new TB mount.)

I intend to outboard over winter break and relocate the coil perches. It looks completely plausible w/o a DC shaft and SYE with the setup I have now. If you save the DS for last and cut to fit I would think you would be ok.
I take it the XJ shaft has a slip yoke??
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_craig View Post
I take it the XJ shaft has a slip yoke??
XJ front shafts, as well as TJ front shafts, are CV style.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
Jasons4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Let's assume for the moment that you can do what you want with the stock slip yoke driveshaft. You admit that you will have to lengthen your stock driveshaft to make it work. You also said you want to upgrade to an SYE later, which means you're going to have to discard your modified stock driveshaft and buy another custom shaft. SYE kits aren't that expensive, the bigger expense is usually the new driveshaft. I bought my SYE from Performance Off Road Center for like $180. If you're spending all this money on all this custom work, there is no good justification for not buying a $180-200 SYE kit and just doing the driveshaft once instead of having to pay to have your driveshaft modified twice. That's my opinion.
Jasons4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for answering my question guys!
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No, mine was an XJ rear DS. Essentially identical to a TJ rear shaft but longer. I cut out a portion of the center and sleeved the whole thing to ensure true-ness. I drilled 5/8th holes in the tube used for sleeving before I pressed the two pieces of the XJ shaft in. I welded the ends and also the holes fully. Then ground the holes flat. Havent had an issue yet.

I too plan on doing a SS SYE and Tom woods shaft when I build my fully flat skid. Right now I dont have 450$ bucks to shell out. The XJ shaft cost me 0$. Cutting/welding it cost me less than five. The Steel tubing was bought as scrap and maybe ten bucks. Getting it balanced was done as a favor. So far I have a driveshaft setup that runs smooth at 70 mph, doesnt bind too bad under heavy flexing, will work temporarily when I outboard, and cost a grand total of 15 bucks. hmmm sounds like a terrible route to go on a college budget.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Although I do recall seeing an XJ front shaft cut down and used with a SYE. That might not be a bad route to go either.
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
No, mine was an XJ rear DS. Essentially identical to a TJ rear shaft but longer. I cut out a portion of the center and sleeved the whole thing to ensure true-ness. I drilled 5/8th holes in the tube used for sleeving before I pressed the two pieces of the XJ shaft in. I welded the ends and also the holes fully. Then ground the holes flat. Havent had an issue yet.

I too plan on doing a SS SYE and Tom woods shaft when I build my fully flat skid. Right now I dont have 450$ bucks to shell out. The XJ shaft cost me 0$. Cutting/welding it cost me less than five. The Steel tubing was bought as scrap and maybe ten bucks. Getting it balanced was done as a favor. So far I have a driveshaft setup that runs smooth at 70 mph, doesnt bind too bad under heavy flexing, will work temporarily when I outboard, and cost a grand total of 15 bucks. hmmm sounds like a terrible route to go on a college budget.
College budget=is exactly what I'm dealing with...Doesn't sound like a bad way to go at all. I might have to give the Junk yard a call and see how much they want for an XJ drive shaft.
I'd do it all at once if I could guys...Just like this guy, I don't have 450 to toss at this portion of the project at this point...
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A hack & tap sye for $100 and a junkyard XJ CV shaft is budget friendly way to go.
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
A hack & tap sye for $100 and a junkyard XJ CV shaft is budget friendly way to go.
I'll have to look into that option aswell...
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you are paying to lengthen the stock DS, why not just wait and save some more money until you can do the SYE and DS together instead of doing it again?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.