Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #91
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So I filled the big gaping hole in my frame up.

Once I figured out exactly where I wanted the shock tower, I marked it and used another tip Blaine gave me.

Drill one 1/4" hole at each corner where the frame tab will come through:

Then run the cut off wheel over it twice to get your 1/4" thick slot.

And if you measured right, a little tab will be left to weld to from the inside

Next I welded up the "Tab" on the inside and the bottom. Once that was done, I beat the edges out to meet up with the frame. It wasn't all that difficult, I did it with a ball peen hammer.

Finally welded it all up!

Here she is at ride height with a shock mounted up. 5" of shock showing and 4" gap between the bump stops. Should be Perfect!

I still have bunches to do.

Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #92
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Im sure there are many people on this board that could knock this whole project out in an afternoon. For someone doing these two things for the first time, plan on a solid couple days I figure I'll have 12 hours of actual work into it when I'm done.

I can bolt stuff up to a Jeep with the best of them, but I have to admit, it feels pretty darn good to make some stuff
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #93
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No kidding Joe, all your fab work turned out beautiful. I'd be proud of it too, you have inspired me to do essentially the same thing to mine now. Another nice thing about it is that there's nothing really expensive about any of what you did.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #94
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
No kidding Joe, all your fab work turned out beautiful. I'd be proud of it too, you have inspired me to do essentially the same thing to mine now. Another nice thing about it is that there's nothing really expensive about any of what you did.
X2 Yeah, I might just have to try this when it warms up around here...
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #95
Dog Man
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great thread on the whole relocation process. I have the tools to do this job and even a plasma cutter for the notching, this will be my next mod for sure. ( I like the notch in the tower for welding great idea ) You have 5inch of shock now, how much did you gain from the relocation?
Dog Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #96
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Man View Post
You have 5inch of shock now, how much did you gain from the relocation?
When I started, I had 3 1/2" up travel on a 10" shock. That was full compression with the bar pins being my final bump stop

As it sits right now, I have 5" of up travel (4" of up travel before it hits the bump stop and 1" of bump stop compression) without running out of shock on a 11 1/2" shock. It will compress to just about the full 5" when one tire is stuffed and the other is drooped out without bottoming out the shock.

The spring perch relocation worked out perfect. The jeep sits at the same ride height but the spring is actually taller up in the frame and straight up and down, if that makes sense. That's where I really gained the extra 1 1/2" up travel even though I added a full inch of bump stop over what I was running before.

I'm hoping the extra up travel, better bump stops and better spring angles will all work out to equal a much better riding rear suspension through the open desert. We'll see. I'll have this wrapped up by Friday so I can head out to JV with the guys and run some trails.
Unread 12-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #97
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
How did you determine what you wanted your final shock length to be?
Well, you are making the upper and lower shock brackets, so you can really make ANY length within reason fit. If you take out your rear springs, shocks and tires then disconnect the swaybar, you can easily see just how far your rear axle actually moves from bump to full droop. I chose the skyjacker hydros for an 8" lifted TJ

Quote:
Also, anymore details on the measurements for the height of the shock tower?
I worked from the bottom up. I placed my lower shock pin as high as I could. If I ever decide to buy some bling longer shocks, I can move the lower mount down much easier than I could move the upper mount up.

To work out full bump on one side, you jack that side of the axle up and let the other droop all the way down. (No shocks springs or tires, just bumpstops.) With the shock bolted to the lower mount in this position, your tower height and max angle is literally right there in front of you.

Quote:
I just have a hard time visualizing a full-droop estimation with the Jeep on stands. I'm sure it's intuitive to you guys but there's got to be a tip or trick in there somewhere
You jack the jeep up by the rear digg as far up as you can get it, then place fully extended jack stands under the frame right in front of the rear lower control arm mounts. Then lower the jack on the diff. Full droop. Or wait and I'll throw some pics up
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #98
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Joe for this enlightening thread. Amazing sometimes how easy something looks when someone else is doing it.

If work doesn't get in the way tomorrow I'm going to meet the boys in JV for a morning run. Gerald has offered me a seat. Just hoping work doesn't call me tonight.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #99
RubiconRazorbac

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
Well, you are making the upper and lower shock brackets, so you can really make ANY length within reason fit. If you take out your rear springs, shocks and tires then disconnect the swaybar, you can easily see just how far your rear axle actually moves from bump to full droop. I chose the skyjacker hydros for an 8" lifted TJ

I worked from the bottom up. I placed my lower shock pin as high as I could. If I ever decide to buy some bling longer shocks, I can move the lower mount down much easier than I could move the upper mount up.

To work out full bump on one side, you jack that side of the axle up and let the other droop all the way down. (No shocks springs or tires, just bumpstops.) With the shock bolted to the lower mount in this position, your tower height and max angle is literally right there in front of you.

You jack the jeep up by the rear digg as far up as you can get it, then place fully extended jack stands under the frame right in front of the rear lower control arm mounts. Then lower the jack on the diff. Full droop. Or wait and I'll throw some pics up
THANK YOU!!! Right about now I'm really wishing we'd have taken those orders to Balboa
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:12 PM   #100
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! The only thing I personally don't have to do this is a welder...but I know a few guys that do. I might have to do this soon. I don't have much uptravel on the shocks...maybe 3.5" like you had.

My kidneys hate me because of this.
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 11:40 PM   #101
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice mod. Subscribed.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #102
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I venture from the YJ section... Interesting thread.

Ever since doing a 9" swap in my YJ I've had issues with shock travel. I placed the mounts much higher on my 9" than they were on the D35 and I lost 2-3" or more of shock travel. I've honestly never measured it, but enough was lost to say "Dammit!"
I even added the MORE rear shock relocators and it didn't yield as much travel as I thought.

Would this be beneficial to do on a SUA YJ? I know my leafs ride like hell compared to TJ coils so if I do this and there's any added ride comfort I'd be highly surprised. I just want my shock travel back
Hopefully Mrblaine or another member with lots of info can help me.

And FWIW I hope I don't come across as a thread hi-jacker since I;m a YJ driver
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #103
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCleanYj View Post
Hopefully Mrblaine or another member with lots of info can help me.

And FWIW I hope I don't come across as a thread hi-jacker since I;m a YJ driver
No worries. I use to have a YJ and loved it.
You could always 4 link your YJ
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #104
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just ordered my ford mounts from the dealership... 15.83 a piece.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #105
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt View Post
When I started, I had 3 1/2" up travel on a 10" shock. That was full compression with the bar pins being my final bump stop
It's looking good! Congrats on cutting your frame with a cutoff wheel.....I can imagine that certainly was interesting trying to get it positioned every which way to get the cuts you needed.

If you feel there is anything you did that is worth adding to the relocation write-up on my site, let me know off-line. We can put together and update, as it were, that expands on the project. Hopefully anyone else doing the mod will benefit from the additional info. Let me know if you want to.

Again....looking good it is!
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.