Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-21-2009, 12:33 PM   #61
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia View Post
Cutting the frame to weld in the new towers, how does that affect the structural integrity? I doubt it would cause issues for the main suspension since it is behind that area. Would it cause issues for towing? What about getting hit from the rear?

I tow a 1700lb off road trailer quite regularly with my set up which Blaine and I did probably back in late 2001 or early 2002. No issues here.

Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #62
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerjp View Post
Do you have any pics of the lower mounts? I am collecting parts and about ready to dive into this project, but I am still a little uncertain as to how to approach the lower mounts/shock stud. Maybe put together a parts list for people?
Stu-offroad has a really thorough write up for the actual shock outboarding with a parts list.

There really was no parts list for the relocation of the upper spring bucket. Grind the welds for the stock one off, cut the tabs to fit and weld it back on where you need it. Just make sure both sides are exactly the same.

As far as my plan for outboarding the shocks, Ill be making lower mounts by first cutting a piece of 3/16" flat stock and boxing in the rear of the lower control arm mounts. This will strengthen the control arm mount and give me something to weld a 3/16" mount to that will hold the shock stud at the same angle as my lower control arms at ride height (17* in my case.) and just far enough back that the shock wont get into the axle at full droop. I will use a piece of 2" X 4" rectangle tube cut into the shape I need to make these. There are SO many ways you can do the lower mounts, it's really only limited by your imagination and skill level with a cutoff wheel. I chose one that makes sense for my setup.

With the lower mount in place, Ill be able to bolt the shock on and begin taking measurements for the upper mount. The plan is to use 90* from the angle of the lower control arm at ride height.

Like most things I do, I'll measure 20 times and get a bunch of pictures
Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #63
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
When I invented this modification, I did it first to move the very vulnerable lower shock mounts up out of the rocks. If you move the bottom of a shock up and keep the same OA length and travel, the top has to move up as well.

In the OEM location, there's no room to move up and with most normal backspacing on the rims, there's no room to fit a shock between the frame and tire. That means clearance has to be made somewhere.

The other two benefits are the ability to fit a longer shock in there for more travel and surprisingly, it improves the ride and handling a fair bit as well as well as practically eliminating that annoying back and forth TJ jiggle you get crossing driveways at angles when you pull into parking lots.
Since you invented this mod why don't you do a sticky or whatever it is and lay out the skinny on how why and what for, list of parts, etc...
Instead of getting this info from others that have followed an obvious great idea/mod for a TJ. Take credit where credit is due.
Pictures would help for the obvious reasons.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #64
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Since you invented this mod why don't you do a sticky or whatever it is and lay out the skinny on how why and what for, list of parts, etc...
Instead of getting this info from others that have followed an obvious great idea/mod for a TJ. Take credit where credit is due.
Stu did on his site when they first did it on his:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...earshock-1.htm

I hope no one has the impression that I am saying I had anything to do with inventing this. My whole goal is really just to document a fun project I decided to do, throw some suspension options out there for people to see, and grab some pictures of specific stuff I wanted to see while researching.
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #65
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Humbolt for the link, and no I was not under the impression you were responsible for this idea. I didn't know Blaine was though, it is just nice to know who is responsible for it.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:58 PM   #66
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
I don't have time to even finish writing instructions for the Savvy Products and if I started documenting all the stuff I've figured out how to do over the years, it would be nearly a full time job.

There are great folks like Stu who are good at this stuff and others like Joe who do great secondary write-ups from different perspectives, and who enjoy it. I don't and I'm not really that good at it.
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #67
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

FMI (for my information)

What length are those lower RE arms set to?

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #68
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post

FMI (for my information)

Believe he said they were fixed length re lowers and enjoyed the length they offered. Perhaps the OP can advise what the fixed length of a re lower is.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #69
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

FMI (for my information)

The RE Fixed length lowers are 16" eye to eye.
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #70
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yup....I knew the length of the fixed RE arms. I could have sworn I saw adj arms on a posted picture last night and thus the question. They seemed to be extended out pretty far.

Since my work computer won't show pictures I'll check when I get home tonight. Maybe I'm losing my mind?

Unread 12-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #71
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yup....I knew the length of the fixed RE arms. I could have sworn I saw adj arms on a posted picture last night and thus the question. They seemed to be extended out pretty far.

Since my work computer won't show pictures I'll check when I get home tonight. Maybe I'm losing my mind?
the uppers are adjustable,,,
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 10:45 AM   #72
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks rondak, it suck's not seeing the pictures. I knew I saw adjustables, just didn't look close enough.

Unread 12-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #73
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't have time to even finish writing instructions for the Savvy Products and if I started documenting all the stuff I've figured out how to do over the years, it would be nearly a full time job.

There are great folks like Stu who are good at this stuff and others like Joe who do great secondary write-ups from different perspectives, and who enjoy it. I don't and I'm not really that good at it.
One of my jobs in the Army was aircraft tech manual development/writing. When you start documenting the step by step procedures, material and tool requirements, photos/drawings,... it is truly a daunting task even for what can appear to be a simple procedure. It's not something I want to do again unless someone is paying me for it. My hat is off to those that take the time and energy to provide the tech write-ups for us on this and other forums. We all owe them a huge thanks!
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #74
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Blaine,
Thanks for the kind words.

Please keep doing exactly what you are doing. Your talents, trapped behind a keyboard, would be a HUGE waste and a substantial setback to everyone else in the TJ community.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #75
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me if a 110v Mig with flux core would be good enough to re-mount the upper spring mount. Was thinking at a minimum it could be used to tack weld the thing in place and a street drive over to a friends house with a 220v machine?? Not sure if the pad gets that much side loading/stress, just shoved against. Anyone?
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.