Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #46
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provelogear View Post
Joe,

You going to have that done so you can come out at the end of the year?

Hope you can make it.

Gerald
Definately.

Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #47
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

So the ford shock towers are perfectly fine if you are outboarding with standard shocks?

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #48
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Nice work.

I'm doing this mod hopefully real soon. I have a set of Bilsteins that I'd really like to get installed, but I need to move the mounts first.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:40 AM   #49
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep02Apex View Post
So the ford shock towers are perfectly fine if you are outboarding with standard shocks?
Let me guess, you just like to look at the pictures? From post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
He's not going to be running anything but the normal style shock bushings. If you run the Fox or similar style, then it's not worth the effort that it takes to modify the top of the Ford tower to get them to fit. With his normal shocks, he just has to drill out the holes to 1/2" and he's good to go.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #50
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the process of doing this to my TJ right now. I'm notching my stock skid and reforming the tank to get about 3-4" of stretch. I'm doing a dual-triangulated longarm at the same time and this is perfect for keeping the stock upper mounts I actually started cutting the welds off on Saturday Morning so it looks like that was the day to start this I'm going to finish cutting the welds later this week once I get back out to my garage
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #51
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

whats the advantage? Is it the ability to run longer shocks?
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #52
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej132 View Post
whats the advantage? Is it the ability to run longer shocks?
When I invented this modification, I did it first to move the very vulnerable lower shock mounts up out of the rocks. If you move the bottom of a shock up and keep the same OA length and travel, the top has to move up as well.

In the OEM location, there's no room to move up and with most normal backspacing on the rims, there's no room to fit a shock between the frame and tire. That means clearance has to be made somewhere.

The other two benefits are the ability to fit a longer shock in there for more travel and surprisingly, it improves the ride and handling a fair bit as well as well as practically eliminating that annoying back and forth TJ jiggle you get crossing driveways at angles when you pull into parking lots.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:21 AM   #53
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok, very interesting, thanks mrblaine
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #54
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Let me guess, you just like to look at the pictures? From post #12
Nope, I read that...I just wanted to make sure. Nothing wrong with double and triple checking. But I do like the pictures

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:29 AM   #55
Dogman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How do you decide where the the mount is placed? I've seen this method:

Just wondering if it's the same for the Ford towers and what difference your lower mounts make as well.

Where did you buy the Ford towers and how much are they?
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #56
rondak46
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post

Just wondering if it's the same for the Ford towers and what difference your lower mounts make as well.

At ride height, you use a square to make a line, 90 degrees to the line created by the two lower control arm mounting bolts.

The towers can be bought at the Ford dealer. The part number is on Stu's write-up. I have a pair that I need to get rid of if you are interested. I think I paid $17 a piece.

Cheers, Mike
rondak46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #57
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post

Roughly, you'd like them at about 90° to the lower control arms at right height. Assuming you're normal and have approximately the same up and down travel, you will push the bottom of the shock back at stuff and pull it forward at droop.

Quote:
He got the ones in this thread from me and we sorta swap stuff back and forth. He takes care of me and I take care of him.
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #58
RubiconRazorbac
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I invented this modification, I did it first to move the very vulnerable lower shock mounts up out of the rocks. If you move the bottom of a shock up and keep the same OA length and travel, the top has to move up as well.

In the OEM location, there's no room to move up and with most normal backspacing on the rims, there's no room to fit a shock between the frame and tire. That means clearance has to be made somewhere.

The other two benefits are the ability to fit a longer shock in there for more travel and surprisingly, it improves the ride and handling a fair bit as well as well as practically eliminating that annoying back and forth TJ jiggle you get crossing driveways at angles when you pull into parking lots.
There's another HUGE benefit for those of us in the rust-belt. Look at the upper mount in post #45. Even if the mount contracted road-salt-cancer, you can still access the mounting bolt & change your shocks easily.

Compare that to how much trouble it is when the upper mount bolts snap on the OEM set-up.

Thanks again guys!
My build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ru...thread-792423/
RubiconRazorbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #59
Redarcher89
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great right up. This has made outboarding a little easyer to understand for me. I am a little slow though.
Redarcher89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 10:00 AM   #60
mountaineerjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any pics of the lower mounts? I am collecting parts and about ready to dive into this project, but I am still a little uncertain as to how to approach the lower mounts/shock stud. Maybe put together a parts list for people?
1997 Sahara - 2.5"OME HD Springs and 2" BB - Bilstein 5100s - 35" BFG KM2s - Doug Thorley Header - Warn M8000 - Nates 4x4 Front & Rear Bumpers - JeepMedic Engine Skid - Shrockwork Rockers - OR-Fab Sport Cage - Ford 8.8 - 4.10s - TNT Customs 4.5" Tube Fenders in Front and Rear - Viking Soft Top - many other mods
WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken
mountaineerjp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.