Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Outboarding rear shocks AND upper spring bucket relocation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #151
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice job! I've been itching to cut up my jeep. Just gotta finish up my other "open" projects.

jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #152
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Nice job! I've been itching to cut up my jeep. Just gotta finish up my other "open" projects.
Careful there, you wouldn't want anyone knowing you actually used an idea from someone as arrogant as I am.
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #153
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Careful there, you wouldn't want anyone knowing you actually used an idea from someone as arrogant as I am.
haha, you know i love you blaine! But don't get your hopes up because my idea has very little in common. Basically we will both cut into the frame, but other than that there is nothing similar. But hey, what else would i expect from a guy like you.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #154
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
But hey, what else would i expect from a guy like you.
And I expect nothing less from you.
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #155
Reelm n Rubi
Fish fear me

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice! This is a future mod for me for sure. I'm surprised I haven't tore my shock mounts off yet. Thanks for fantastic thread.
Kieth Black forged 944 pistons
Comp Cams custom ground camshaft
505 Performance PCM
Split Second Engineering fuel/timing management
Tom Woods CV driveshaft
50 lb/hr Trick Flow injectors
4" Full Traction LA with Bilstein 7100's
JKS 1" MM,BL. TeraFlex engine and steering armor
4.88's w/ 35 " Toyo Open Country m/t's
Moser Chromoly axle shafts front, Superior D44 rear
Warn 9.5ti on a M.O.R.E hi clearance bumper
Reid racing knuckles, Warn premium hubs
PIAA 525's, and 510's

XBOX Gamertag- ISHAGDyurGURL

For SALE-- standard drop pitman arm redrilled with new 1 ton GM tye rod end (bottom mount). Perfect $30
Reelm n Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #156
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
mudb8 also did a nice write up on this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lo...antage-852221/
I much prefer the shocks to be fully outboard but some just don't like the idea of cutting into the frame.
I've also got another bracket now for the upper mounts which elimiates the Bar Pin, without losing uptravel from a "BPE" however, you need a body lift to use them. in the end, the lower mounts are protected by and reinforce the LCA mount and the upper shock mount is raised about 1.25" and slightly inboard to keep the larger diameter shocks from rubbing the frame at full compression.. Which is something I ran into from outboarding lower mounts to far.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #157
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What measurments were used to tilt the top of the tower outward and the bottom inward? EX: 1"on top, 1/2" on the bottom.
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #158
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher242 View Post
What measurments were used to tilt the top of the tower outward and the bottom inward? EX: 1"on top, 1/2" on the bottom.
I just did a set of 12" Fox shocks and it was around 1/2" on the bottom and 3/4" for the top.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #159
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a standard for this or preferance?
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #160
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher242 View Post
Is there a standard for this or preferance?
Go back and read what Joe had to say again. You have to cycle the axle many times to get your clearances. When one side is stuffed and the other drooped, the shocks are at their closest and furthest points from hitting the lower part of the shock mount.

You want the top of the mount tilted outwards enough to stop contact with the frame but inwards enough that the tire doesn't hit the shock. YOU have to figure that out by how the axle moves.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #161
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OK thanks. I think I get what your saying.
Unread 02-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #162
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Go back and read what Joe had to say again. You have to cycle the axle many times to get your clearances. When one side is stuffed and the other drooped, the shocks are at their closest and furthest points from hitting the lower part of the shock mount.

You want the top of the mount tilted outwards enough to stop contact with the frame but inwards enough that the tire doesn't hit the shock. YOU have to figure that out by how the axle moves.
I thought I had a pretty good idea of how a rear axle moved from messing with it over the years, but until you pull the springs, sway bar, shocks and tires and really start jacking stuff around you wont truely understand. (At least for me. My crayons on construction paper only got me so far )

After you do that for a bit, the measurements and spacing are self explanatory.
Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #163
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks so much for this thread!

I notice on the first page that you went with the Currie bump stops. I have whatever TeraFlex bump stop extensions came with my 3" complete lift of theirs. It doesn't look like those bump stops are "extended" in that way. Is that because with the new outboarded setup you no longer need extensions? If so, is that because the shocks won't be your limiting factor or because you're running the MetalCloak rear corners/flares and thus don't have to worry about rubbing flares?
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #164
Humboldt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Thanks so much for this thread!

I notice on the first page that you went with the Currie bump stops. I have whatever TeraFlex bump stop extensions came with my 3" complete lift of theirs. It doesn't look like those bump stops are "extended" in that way. Is that because with the new outboarded setup you no longer need extensions? If so, is that because the shocks won't be your limiting factor or because you're running the MetalCloak rear corners/flares and thus don't have to worry about rubbing flares?
Sorry for the delay, I was at sea for a couple weeks.

The Currie bump stops are the right size for 4" lift springs. It just splits the extension between the top and bottom as well as capture the coil spring.

The metal cloak fenders do not offer much more real clearance over stock, the flair is just not in the way.

The bump stops limit my up travel, not the shocks. You still need proper sized bumpstops with outboarded shocks.
Humboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #165
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

When you say it captures the coil springs, are you saying it retains the springs on their buckets top and bottom so they don't unseat and rattle around loosely under extreme flex?

Having not seen it in action, I'm not sure what else that could mean. Thanks for the clarification
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.