Out of Balance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Out of Balance

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-25-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
EricS

Out of Balance

I have BFG AT 33x12.5 on Mickey Thompson Classic IIs. I had the front two balanced, and it took 7.5 oz to balance one of the tires. Not sure how much on the other, but it was comparable. The guy wanted to put weight on the outside since he had to add so much, but I wouldn’t let him. He had to put a strip of weights 12” long to get up to 7.5 oz.

He said that because of the large tire it becomes very difficult to balance them. They sure didn’t take that much weight when they were new, which was only 6K miles ago.

Anyone else experience this? Is there something wrong with my tire/wheel? The vibration is cleared up now by the way.

EricS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 02:52 PM   #2
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It was probably not properly balanced the first time. The vibration is created by your wheel hopping up and down therefore not really wearing the tire down in the spot that is off the ground. If it run this way for 6k miles you are probably having to compensate for the extra rubber in one spot of the tire. As far as bigger tires needing more weight, when my 32"s were brand new they took quite a lot of weights scattered various places on the inside of the wheel. The guy that balanced mine was taking his time to try and get it almost perfect. But alot of weights were used.

HTH,

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 03:04 PM   #3
RockmanGA

I'm having a similar problem with My brand New BFG 33 12.5 ATs.
The shop balanced them but said all 4 were hopping. Is this common with 33's and larger tires or do I need to send them back for another set?
4:56, ARBs front and rear,
Teraflex Discos, Warn grill guard,Warn XD9000i
PIAA 540, Bushwacker flares
Jeeperman rear w/ tire carrier
RockmanGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #4
ian-X

i hate to say this but i think you need to find another shop to do the balancing. usually when a tires needs this much weight it is not oriented on the rim correctly. what i mean is, the tire needs to have the bead set, then checked. if you get what you currently have, it needs to be broken back off the bead and spun on the rim. it may take several tries to get it right which is what a lot of shops are too lazy to do.

if you have lots of weight scattered all over the rim, chances are, the tire guy didn't spend the time it takes to get it right on the larger tires in question. that is, unless the tire is worn badly.

by the way, the stem orientation to the internal tire seam is usually the culprit.
Unread 09-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
runmanpkll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanGA
I'm having a similar problem with My brand New BFG 33 12.5 ATs.
The shop balanced them but said all 4 were hopping. Is this common with 33's and larger tires or do I need to send them back for another set?
the larger the tire the harder to balance. the tire can be matched to the wheel with the right balancer. you take the high spot of the tire & match it to the low spot of the wheel. most tire guys dont like doing this because it takes much longer to do 4-5 tires this way. they have to mount the tire put it on the machine mark the high/low spots & dismount, spin the tire to match the marks & remount. then put it back on the machine, check & balance. my 32's hopped and was fortunate to have a good tire guy do this for me & it made a big difference. maybe it was the $20.00 i dropped on him before he started.
runmanpkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 03:38 PM   #6
EricS

Well, that all makes sense about them probably being out of balance to begin with. But why didn't I get this vibration before? Is the front end more sensitive to wheel balance than the rear?
EricS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
ian-X

i'm not sure how you'd define sensitive but the front end would certainly transmit more feedback through the suspension as well as the steering system where as the rear end just has suspension.
Unread 09-25-2003, 05:02 PM   #8
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ian is right a good tire shop will spend time spinning the tires on the rim to find the sweet spot before they put weights on. In other words balance the tire to the rim before weights are added. Sometimes however you get crappy tire all interco's are this way in my opinion I have one 33 tsl that has 30oz of weight . i was amazed at how bad it was"is".
Coils Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
kgordon7378

First of all if a shop is putting wheel weights in more than one position, they are just adding useless weights. Weights should be put only in one spot, as that spot is to counter balance the imperfections in the wheels and tire combined. It is quite possible that your tire can take that much weight. If he put tape weights on the inside, then each little square is only a quarter of an ounce. a full strip is only 3 ounces of weight, which is not that much. Also, if you are not letting him put weights on the outside, then the computer and the tech are trying to compensate for both the inner and outer edges in one swing, thus the large amount of weight in one location. As for when your tires were new, they did not take as much weight because you never drove on them, and they were not used. If this is the first time you have rotated your tires, and you have 6000 miles on them without a rotation, that is your problem, jeeps eat tires. With a short wheel base, and suspension they way they are. Rotating your tires in regular 3000 intervals will keep the wear between them about as even as you can. Obviously the vibration is gone, thus the tech did a good job, as balancing the tire is to eliminate that issue. No vibes=good balance. take the weights off, see how bad it shakes then.
kgordon7378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 05:41 PM   #10
Coils Rule
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I much prefer what I just learned and that is mark your wheel with a scribe so you can see were your weights belong keep only weights on the out side and carry spares. this way you always no if you have lost or spun a weight. I just mention this becuase I just learned it on another board. I have not ever tried it but it sounds good in therory
Coils Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2003, 06:01 PM   #11
kgordon7378

That is great if you are going wheeling and plan on knockin them off. But as you put the highway miles on, the tire wears and the placement of the weight changes.
kgordon7378 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.