Optima Blue Top battery near death, just jacked up the Sears card - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Optima Blue Top battery near death, just jacked up the Sears card

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Optima Blue Top battery near death, just jacked up the Sears card

The Optima Blue Top battery is toast after maybe five years. I just jacked up the Sears card for $200 (tax etc.) to get a new Diehard Platinum 34/78-DT battery which is in the back of the Jeep ready to be installed tomorrow.

With its 4 year free replacement warranty and 100 months of pro-rated warranty, I'm real happy to finally have gotten an excuse to buy a Platinum. I just hope it'll start now that I'm about to leave the office for home... the Jeep barely started during lunch today, it scared me enough to buy the new battery before even getting home.

What kills me is I also wanted to buy one of those little tiny motorcycle battery for the son's Suzuki DRZ400 and Sears wanted $99 (on sale from $119!). WTH? How can a tiny battery like that be $99? It's time to go find a discount motorcycle battery store.

diehardplatinum.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can the Diehard Platinum 34/78 battery be mounted on it's side?...
Unread 06-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
glockster
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The very small battery for my BMW 1150RT motorcycle was $219 and that did not include installation. The whole left side of the bike had to be disassembled to slide the battery out, an additional 1 hour of labor at $89 p/hr. Sold her shortly thereafter.

Glockster's Rubihara Build
glockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Jerry,
You were lucky to get the Optima when you did. I am sure, that you have read many threads that complain about their lose of quality control that began about four years ago.
I bought a red top about 4 yrs ago and it went belly up in under a year. I returned it and the one that was on the shelf that was destined to be my replacement was DOA, as well. Manager overnighted a new red top.
I went back the next day and the overnighted one was DRT (Dead Right There)!! He was so POed that he gave me a yellow top for free. It must have been made over 4 years ago because it has hung in there, barely. Diehard platinum is on my list but, the closest auto center is 90 miles away but. that is my next battery.

Reed

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Can the Diehard Platinum 34/78 battery be mounted on it's side?...
Yep, pretty much any AGM battery can since there is no liquid acid to contend with.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What makes the jelly roll batteries so desireable anyway? I personally don't get the extra expense. Plus from what I can tell, they don't live as long as a standard plate battery, even with the beating it gets offroad.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
TJMunky
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i have a duralast gold battery that cost me all of 30 bucks new. lastone i had lasted me 6 years.
NIGHTCREW (RIP 01/28/09 - 07/22/09) #135
SILVER JEEP CLUB #120
TJMunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

they dont spill, and are hard to crack open. In a jeep its pretty important. I have had my red top for 8 years, i know a guy that has had his for 18 years, or so he says.

I cant wait to replace mine with the diehard platinum, but im curious to see how long i can go on the red top.

I just threw the redtop in my jeep yesterday and bought an orielly battery for the geo. My neg battery terminal was corroded when i bought the jeep, after i cleaned it up it corroded in a week. i went to take the terminal off and it broke in two. Turns out the battery was cracked at the terminal and was gassing on my clamp, so i replaced the clamp with a brass one and put the red top in there.

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a red top that got put in in jan of 2003... it's also been run dead on many occasions from the winch, having been hydro locked, upside down, on it's side and traversing hills the fuel pump pick up couldn't draw fuel from a low tank or no oil pressure...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I understand that they don't spill, but a regular old battery only leaks when you are at a fairly extreme angle for a while. As far as cracking, unless you roll your Jeep and smash the hood above the battery in on a big rock, how are you going to crack the case of a properly secured battery?

I have never had an issue with a battery being damaged acutely on a trail ride, nor have I ever met anyone who has, unless it was from being strapped in with a bungee strap or a piece of rope instead of properly secured.

Not to mention that I can buy about 4 regular batteries for the cost of one Optima YellowTop, and the damn thing has probably a 50% chance of not lasting more than a year anyway. I will get 4 or 5 years out of a plain old WalMart battery every single time, no questions asked.

I have an Optima in one of my CJ's, and it doesn't do a damn thing different from a normal battery except cost a lot more and sound cool when I tell people I have it.
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #11
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8
I have a red top that got put in in jan of 2003... it's also been run dead on many occasions from the winch, having been hydro locked, upside down, on it's side and traversing hills the fuel pump pick up couldn't draw fuel from a low tank or no oil pressure...
That sounds impressive, until I say that I had a plain old DieHard battery that was in my '79 GMC truck for a couple years before I got it. Was upside down and sitting on its roof for almost an hour in the ditch when I rolled my truck wayyyy back in high school, then after that was run completely dead probably 5 or 6 times over the next 3 years from me being a dumb kid (stereo going at parties, forgot to turn off the headlights, etc, etc.) Was still going strong when I sold that truck.

My point is that I think these Gel mat batteries are similar to the CAI rage. They may be useful in some applications, but they just don't give nearly enough benefit to justify even half of their cost.

I was hoping somebody could throw some knowledge out to convince me otherwise. Do they have a hidden beer tap on the side I don't know about or something cool like that?
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/AgmTech.htm

read away to see the benefits, weigh them out yourself.

Ill always buy an AGM battery, i just like them better.

My battery was cracked and was bolted securely to the factory battery tray, there was no indication that the previous owner had ever even touched the battery. It was completely stock, and had no marks on the terminals. Still it was cracked from the negative eletrode post out toward the cormer of the battery, it looked like the plastic shrunk and cracked, although i cant prove it.

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #13
2000jeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i posted a statement awhile back about optima batterys. i had one in a drag car that i built. i was on the way home from a big event in norwalk, oh when i was flaged over by another car and he told me he saw smoke coming from the rear of my trailer. opened trailer to find car on fire by the time firedepartment got there trailer and car were a total loss. insurance and firedepartment inspections both stated the battery was the cause. And yes battery was disconnected and there were no external causes for the short.
Unread 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9K9 View Post
Jerry,
You were lucky to get the Optima when you did. I am sure, that you have read many threads that complain about their lose of quality control that began about four years ago.
I bought a red top about 4 yrs ago and it went belly up in under a year. I returned it and the one that was on the shelf that was destined to be my replacement was DOA, as well. Manager overnighted a new red top.
I went back the next day and the overnighted one was DRT (Dead Right There)!! He was so POed that he gave me a yellow top for free. It must have been made over 4 years ago because it has hung in there, barely. Diehard platinum is on my list but, the closest auto center is 90 miles away but. that is my next battery.

Reed
X2. I got my Redtop Optima in 2003 for my old WJ. When I bought my TJ I switched out the batteries. It's been performing just as great as the day I bought it 5-6 years ago even with very frequent use of my winch. I don't baby it either.

However, about a little over year ago a buddy of mine bought a Yellow top and it recently died on him w/o any reason. He warrantied it and got a new one... but goes to show the newer Optimas are just not what they used to be.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

you'll like that Sears Diehard, and you'll get a lot more than 5 years out of it.

I find it disappointing the Optima Blue Top only lasted 5 years....heck my factory battery has lasted 5 years and is still going strong.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.