Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Optima batteries

2K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  BaumSquadM24 
#1 ·
I read somewhere a while back that in order to properly use an Optima AGM battery in an automotive application youll need to replace your alternator with a different one that is designed to properly charge an AGM battery.

I remember it said something along the lines that using an AGM battery with your oem alt you will drastically cut down on the battery life.

Anyone have experience with this?

#2 ·
While gel cell batteries require a special charger, AGM batteries like are made by Optima, Odyssey, etc. dont. No, Optima batteries are not gel cell, they are AGM.

That said, Optima batteries are no longer recommended by many, certainly not me. While Optima used to have a superb reputation, that took a big nosedive after they were purchased by Johnson Controls who moved the manufacturing to Mexico. I had three Optima batteries in a row fail prematurely. Never again will I run another Optima.

#4 ·
I am still running Optimas OP, but I don't have the faith and confidence in them I once did. Doubt my next batteries will be Optimas.

That said, in response to your actual question, no need for alternator swap to put in an Optima, or any other AGM battery...... just like Jerry said.

If I were buying one today, I would most likely (also) go with an Odyssey. Hope this advice doesn't reach you too late. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I've had better luck with them. They seem to hold up better to hard pull and deep discharges.
I know my tow pig 6.0PSD can be a real PITA when it comes to cold starting. I put two of the Odyssey Extremes in it and have never had an issue with it turning over slowly or low FICM voltage during clod starts since.
I also has less issues with deep draws and low voltage light during winching with my old Diehard Platinum (same as the Odyssey Extreme) before I finally had a shorted cell due to me letting it die repeatedly with the Jeep sitting.

Reactions: WmGardner
#11 ·
I had 3 group 27's in my boat and at 13 months all three took a crap. They did offer to replace them all at full retail though (place sarcasm here) Currently running a Walmart Eveready in my Jeep and have had no complaints.

#12 ·
I like my optimas, and haven't had any problems with them, but generally I've found that anything within the same price bracket is going to perform about the same.

#14 ·
People keep telling me that, and it keeps not happening, find out eventually.

#21 ·
For those that still have their old optimas, the agm battery desulfators work very well as a reconditioner. Use them often at work and for about $150 bucks you can keep bringing your old red and yellow tops back to life.

Haven't used them with the blue tops but I don't see why they wouldn't work the same

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.