Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Reply
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #61
Savvy
Vendor
 
Savvy's Avatar
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tustin, CA - Orange County
Posts: 6,614
If you like slop in your track bar, get the TB with the hiems as they all develop slop after a short time and need to be replaced. Not the the JJ don't develop it, they do but at least you can maintain them and grease them to reduce the wear.

Do it once or do it many times it is up to you. Save a $1 now and pay $3 latter plus the hassle of taking it apart to maintain.

__________________
SAVVY OFF ROAD - Overall Winner of the King of the Hammers EMC three years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response: gman@savvyoffroad.com

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Unlimited Black Hole - The Ultimate LJ

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule


2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #62
matsonian
MetalCloak'd
 
matsonian's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
"undirectional" is a bit uncommon ... but thats not what I wrote.
unidirectional is "in one direction" ... in contrast to bidirectional.
LOL! Here I was trying to be flippant and my fat fingers got in the way on the keyboard... meant to type unidirectional. FAIL.
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #63
matsonian
MetalCloak'd
 
matsonian's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZ View Post
On the front trackbar... are you willing to back that up by garenteeing a full refund(including shipping) if thats not the case including a return shipping label?
I will never ship anything with the presumption that it will be returned... in other words no return label included in the package. However, and you can check else where on this very forum, we believe customer service is tantamount to good business and we will happily take back any product that any customer is not 100% happy with.

Quote:
To date to my knowledge there is no bolt on aftermarket trackbar that requires NO EXTRA ADDED bumpstopping in the front of the TJ.

Thats a hell of a claim to make...........
Here are a couple pics of our TJ Solid Chromoly Front Track Bar on a TJ at full stuff with no coils, no shocks, no bump stops and the rubber in the jounce removed.





The fitment is tight, but it clears.

This particular rig can use a little more tuning on the control arms, you can see from this pic that the jounce is not centered on the bump pad. If it the control arms were adjusted so that they were centered, we'd have more clearance in the front.



BTW, thank you for the challenge. Without that, I wouldn't have taken the time to tear down the rig for these pics.
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #64
TheRealZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post

I will never ship anything with the presumption that it will be returned... in other words no return label included in the package. However, and you can check else where on this very forum, we believe customer service is tantamount to good business and we will happily take back any product that any customer is not 100% happy with.

Here are a couple pics of our TJ Solid Chromoly Front Track Bar on a TJ at full stuff with no coils, no shocks, no bump stops and the rubber in the jounce removed.

The fitment is tight, but it clears.

This particular rig can use a little more tuning on the control arms, you can see from this pic that the jounce is not centered on the bump pad. If it the control arms were adjusted so that they were centered, we'd have more clearance in the front.

BTW, thank you for the challenge. Without that, I wouldn't have taken the time to tear down the rig for these pics.
Wow.....could this be the first front aftermarket tb that fully clears the axle and drag link?

Matson.....this is with a d30 stock drag link and tie rod correct? Full details on steering linkage and axle please. I assume your 100% confident that with the jounces fully centered on the axle the clearance will still be fine? Anyone see why it would have issues with the zj tierod upgrade?
TheRealZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #65
TheRealZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 94
Also and very important question....how much lift was that tb set for? The taller the lift the closer the diff cover will be to the frame side single sheer mount when fully stuffed.....
TheRealZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #66
matsonian
MetalCloak'd
 
matsonian's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZ View Post
Wow.....could this be the first front aftermarket tb that fully clears the axle and drag link?

Matson.....this is with a d30 stock drag link and tie rod correct? Full details on steering linkage and axle please. I assume your 100% confident that with the jounces fully centered on the axle the clearance will still be fine? Anyone see why it would have issues with the zj tierod upgrade?
Yes, this is a '99 TJ Sport with a D30 and completely stock steering linkage.

__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #67
matsonian
MetalCloak'd
 
matsonian's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZ View Post
Also and very important question....how much lift was that tb set for? The taller the lift the closer the diff cover will be to the frame side single sheer mount when fully stuffed.....
I am not sure that matters here. The adjustability of the track bar is at the frame end, therefore the location of the diff-clearing bend in the track bar does not vary in relation to the axle.
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #68
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 1,242
cool!

so ... the extended bump stops (3"?) in the front with your game changer kit are needed for exactly what?

In the other thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pr...coils-1525925/ we seem to come to the conclusion that the MC 3.5" coils would not need protection (through bump stop extensions) against coil bind with stock bump stop dimensions.
(The coil spring would fit compressed in the remaining 7.5" height at full bump)

For the 12" travel 6paks? with a compressed length of 13"? What a pity!
One more reason to finally come out with the right stem and bar pin shock ends instead of that mounting hardware, guys!
Or lets say the mounting hardware should position the shocks at approximately in the middle of their stroke at ride height with your MC 3.5" coil springs ...
Your current mounting hardware is adding to much length ... (?) ... it should not add more than 1.5"-2" to the compressed shock length, then it would be ideal!
__________________
"The more I know, the more I realize how much I don't know"
my LS1 swap build thread
THE cheap progressive bump stop solution
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #69
TheRealZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
cool!

so ... the extended bump stops (3"?) in the front with your game changer kit are needed for exactly what?

In the other thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/pr...coils-1525925/ we seem to come to the conclusion that the MC 3.5" coils would not need protection (through bump stop extensions) against coil bind with stock bump stop dimensions.
(The coil spring would fit compressed in the remaining 7.5" height at full bump)

For the 12" travel 6paks? with a compressed length of 13"? What a pity!
One more reason to finally come out with the right stem and bar pin shock ends instead of that mounting hardware, guys!
Or lets say the mounting hardware should position the shocks at approximately in the middle of their stroke at ride height with your MC 3.5" coil springs ...
Your current mounting hardware is adding to much length ... (?) ... it should not add more than 1.5"-2" to the compressed shock length, then it would be ideal!
I still believe that jeepineer made a mistake on front coil compressed measurement sine the front coil has 13 plus winds and not 11 as he stated.....plus the rear springs compressed length was never addressed by him.....i know those will need major bumpstopping since the coil bucket in rear is so darn shallow....

I also agree on the 6pak shocks.....need to address the hardware big time.....
TheRealZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #70
matsonian
MetalCloak'd
 
matsonian's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
Your current mounting hardware is adding to much length ... (?) ... it should not add more than 1.5"-2" to the compressed shock length, then it would be ideal!
The Bar Pin Eliminator adds about a 1/4" compared to the stock bar pin and the upper mounting bracket adds about 1.5". Our collapsed measurement of the 12" 6Pak is 13" from eye to eye. Very little is being added to that with the mounting hardware.

In the above pics, with the TJ fully stuffed (without the rubber jounce in place) the distance between the bar pin and the upper shock mount location in the shock tower is 13 3/8". With the stock rubber jounce in, there would be plenty of room for the 6Pak to fully stuff in the front.

Quote:
the extended bump stops (3"?) in the front with your game changer kit are needed for exactly what?
The primary reason, IMHO, for anyone to use bump stops is Tire Size. In our kits we provide an adjustable bump stop system. Allowing customers to put everything from ZERO bump stop to 4" of bump stop, depending on their personal need. Our only prescription for bump stop is Tire-Size and fender recommendations. Running 33's with our fenders, no bump stop ever needed... running 37's and stock fenders, you had better bump stop it out.

A point of note, we used heims for a number of reasons, one of which is the simplicity of changing the mounting hardware. We designed it to have variable mounting options.

For now we are using heims, at some point that may change.
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #71
freeskier93
Web Wheeler
 
freeskier93's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Posts: 6,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post
A point of note, we used heims for a number of reasons, one of which is the simplicity of changing the mounting hardware. We designed it to have variable mounting options.

For now we are using heims, at some point that may change.
Could one theoretically replace the heim with a JJ? I'm very intrigued. I'm waiting patiently for your memorial sale so I can buy a full set of arms. At 160$ for the front TB, and the pictures you posted regarding clearance, I'm very tempted to add it to my order.
__________________
Build Thread
My life in 2010: Chronicles of painting my Jeep
Axle Re Gear and Swap

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #72
TheRealZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post
The Bar Pin Eliminator adds about a 1/4" compared to the stock bar pin and the upper mounting bracket adds about 1.5". Our collapsed measurement of the 12" 6Pak is 13" from eye to eye. Very little is being added to that with the mounting hardware.

In the above pics, with the TJ fully stuffed (without the rubber jounce in place) the distance between the bar pin and the upper shock mount location in the shock tower is 13 3/8". With the stock rubber jounce in, there would be plenty of room for the 6Pak to fully stuff in the front.



The primary reason, IMHO, for anyone to use bump stops is Tire Size. In our kits we provide an adjustable bump stop system. Allowing customers to put everything from ZERO bump stop to 4" of bump stop, depending on their personal need. Our only prescription for bump stop is Tire-Size and fender recommendations. Running 33's with our fenders, no bump stop ever needed... running 37's and stock fenders, you had better bump stop it out.

A point of note, we used heims for a number of reasons, one of which is the simplicity of changing the mounting hardware. We designed it to have variable mounting options.

For now we are using heims, at some point that may change.
Few more questions concerning your track bars.



A review of the REAR trackbar stated:

Quote:
The bushing at the axle end is odd. The stock bolt is way to small leaving a lot of play between the bolt and the bushing. Of course it doesn't come with bolts like the rest of the Metalcloak products that are "bolt on" and you actually have to drill out. Also there isn't even an American made bolt that fits snug. The closes bolt is metric and it STILL has play. Not to flame the product to bad, it still has a strong feel, but there is a lot of talk over such an average product.
Any comment on this? If I order one I really hope I wouldn't need to find a bolt that doesn't quote fit? Maybe you can clarify on this feedback comment recieved on your rear trackbar setup.

Also......I assume the rear trackbar works at full stuff as well. Does it need any type of TB relocation bracket? Or?

Also, does the front TB frameside mount need to be drilled out? I really can't find much on install on either of the TB's.......
TheRealZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #73
matsonian
MetalCloak'd
 
matsonian's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Could one theoretically replace the heim with a JJ? I'm very intrigued.
My statement above was in regards to the 6Paks, which, even if you had a JJ small enough, would not work because you don't want to give the 6Paks that much rotational capability.

If you are referring to the Track Bar, however, theoretically, if you had a JJ with the right size shaft and thread, you could (our heim is 0.75-16 X .875). Important to note is the size of the JJ body vs. the heim and the clearance the heim provides in the above pics (notice how close it is to the mount).
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #74
26679cj5
Web Wheeler
 
26679cj5's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Blacksburg, Virginia
Posts: 1,257
I've never seen such a great company get attacked so viciously as Metal cloak does. Not really sure why it happens, but I've seen it on a few different forums, and the metal cloak guys always have the most top-notch professionalism about it

BTW, is metal cloak running a memorial day special? I haven't seen any word of one and I'm ready to order some suspension components for a custom build.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #75
matsonian
MetalCloak'd
 
matsonian's Avatar
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZ View Post
Few more questions concerning your track bars.

A review of the REAR trackbar stated:

Any comment on this? If I order one I really hope I wouldn't need to find a bolt that doesn't quote fit? Maybe you can clarify on this feedback comment recieved on your rear trackbar setup.
LOL! This proves that we take no effort to edit any reviews on our site. This particular customer, if memory serves, installed the rear track bar backwards.

Now, the fault for that is ultimately mine because the instructions were not clear enough, and I finalize all instructions.

Quote:
Also......I assume the rear trackbar works at full stuff as well. Does it need any type of TB relocation bracket? Or?
Yes, it does clear. The only clearance issues seem to be the typical exhaust/track bar relationship. No relocation bracket is currently needed and stock hardware is used to mount it.

Quote:
Also, does the front TB frame side mount need to be drilled out? I really can't find much on install on either of the TB's.......
We drill out the axle side mount to 1/2" and the frame side mount to 5/8". My apologies on the instructions, I decided to pull them for updating.
__________________
It's Your Jeep, Only Better. | MetalCloak.com | 6PakRevolution.com

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.