Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak

Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #46
TheRealZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I understand all of this.

I was simply saying I think it over complicates things if you say "true compressed length" and then factor in BPEs or whatever.

"Compressed length" should only consider the shock.

BPEs do not change the compressed length of the shock, they change the distance between the shock mounts.
I think "true compressed length" should be dependant on how it mounts to a specific model vehicle. FOr the TJ, the 6pak shock up front needs the top adaptor and lower BPE......in essense they are part of the shock for that application.

If anything, I think MC should add in a notation to their product page that states what specific accessories are needed for bolt in installation, and to mention that with said accesories installed what the utilized compressed length is installed.

For people who do the full MC lift(shocks,springs,ca's,bumpstops,trackbars etc)my calculations show that you need 2" bumpstopping front and rear as a minimum period just due to the limitations of the hardware. The springs, shocks and trackbars all on their own need at least 2" bumpstopping......so combined together as a system they fit and work well as all the major components seem to have the same installed needs/tolerances. But for people who are mixing and matching parts or for people who need maximum uptravel and minimum or no extra bumpstopping over stock.............then there are better options out there that should be considered when it comes to the springs,shocks and trackbars available.

TheRealZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #47
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealZ View Post
I think "true compressed length" should be dependant on how it mounts to a specific model vehicle....
True compressed length for every single vehicle and application?

That would create a nightmare for shock manufacturers trying to provide useful data.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #48
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I thought this was about rear track bars not shocks that less then half a percent of this forum will ever even consider buying.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #49
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
I thought this was about rear track bars not shocks that less then half a percent of this forum will ever even consider buying.
Thread title says rear TB, but its still unknown if that is the OP's problem.

Quote:
Death wobble in the rear and you have to stop? That seems odd.

How did you diagnose the problem as being bad track bar bushings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbait87 View Post
Honestly it's an educated guess. I'm not the most well versed on this kind of thing but it seemed like a decent bet considering the track bar keeps the axle centered and it feels like the axle is shimmying side to side. I got underneath the jeep to check with a torque wrench to see if anything was loose today. I was pressed for time and the only thing I could check was my lower control arms and they were plenty tight. I tried to twist my track bar just to see if there was any obvious play but no dice, so now I'm not sure. Unless I unbolt the track bar I don't feel like I can get a good look at the bushings. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Quote:
Push on the Jeep body, watch where the slop originates.

Get it rocking.
^ Never heard anything back regarding this.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #50
TheRealZ

Quote:

That would create a nightmare for shock manufacturers trying to provide useful data.
Most shock mfg's though don't make a shock that needs a couple of adaptors to actually bolt in. They made dozens of vehicle specific shocks.

MC markets directly towards Jeep Wranglers.......so a simple notation should be made of true compressed length. Because the 6paks technically don't just bolt in without accessories mounts.
Unread 05-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #51
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Agreed. While I would love to discuss the 6Paks with TheRealZ or anyone else with feedback on our systems, my purpose for posting on this thread was not to hi-jack it with discussions about other products. (My apologies to the OP) There are other threads for that purpose.

As a note, the OP, or anyone else for that manner, will not go wrong with either the Currie products or any of ours. Our friends over at Currie and Savvy make great products.

An additional note on clearance, I spoke with our engineer at length about it this morning, he designed the TJ Track Bars to clear with factory bump stops fully compressed.

Thanks again for all the great comments and feedback.

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #52
stinkbait87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thread title says rear TB, but its still unknown if that is the OP's problem.

^ Never heard anything back regarding this.
Sorry, I haven't really had any time to check on this. I'm pretty busy throughout the week but I'll see if I can't sneak it in soon.
stinkbait87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #53
TheRealZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post
An additional note on clearance, I spoke with our engineer at length about it this morning, he designed the TJ Track Bars to clear with factory bump stops fully compressed.

Thanks again for all the great comments and feedback.
The front trackbar will allow the axle to be fully stuffed with the jounce bumpers removed(or compressed as you stated)? Regardless if its a D30 or D44? The bends and overall shape shown just don't show that its possible. At the frame side mount, the trackbar needs to literally bend right up and wrap the diff cover like the stock bar, otherwise it needs to be significantly offset forward to clear the diff cover at the mounting point, and then you have to worry about interference with the drag link etc.............I'd love to see pics posted on this.............
Unread 05-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #54
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I can understand as well that users who thought the 6paks would allow max UP and down travel on a low lift Jeep and without much bump stop extension are now surprised and disappointed.

It turns out the 6pak advantage is "unidirectional" only ... without fabrication work.

Deriving assumptions about their track bar clearances is based on above mentioned expectation and needs to be either proven or corrected.

At the moment we have Matsonians statements ... maybe a bunch of pics with full bumps would be helpful as well
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #55
TheRealZ

Quote:

Which trackbar? The front or the rear?

Rear trackbar clearance isn't a big deal......plenty on the market already that clear with bumpstops compressed or removed.

But how about clarifying the front trackbar's clearance?

Getting full info from these guys is like pulling teeth it seems..........
Unread 05-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #56
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmo View Post
I can understand as well that users who thought the 6paks would allow max UP and down travel on a low lift Jeep and without much bump stop extension are now surprised and disappointed.
Thankfully our customers are experiencing incredible flex and ride quality with our kits... so no surprise or disappointment recorded.

Quote:
It turns out the 6pak advantage is "unidirectional" only ... without fabrication work.
Is undirectional a word? Just sayin...

Quote:
At the moment we have Matsonians statements ... maybe a bunch of pics with full bumps would be helpful as well
Yep, and I'll eat my hat if I've EVER said anything on this forum that's not true. However, we pulled in a TJ today to take some clearance pics for you all. Comin' soon.

Unread 05-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #57
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Which trackbar? The front or the rear?

Rear trackbar clearance isn't a big deal......plenty on the market already that clear with bumpstops compressed or removed.

But how about clarifying the front trackbar's clearance?

Getting full info from these guys is like pulling teeth it seems..........
Front & Rear.

Sorry, but we just don't spend every day on the Forums. When we can, we try our best to provide good information, but, as a small growing shop, most of my day is spent on the phone with customers and doing other projects to enhance our customer's experience.

Unread 05-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #58
chmo
Web Wheeler
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is undirectional a word? Just sayin...
"undirectional" is a bit uncommon ... but thats not what I wrote.
unidirectional is "in one direction" ... in contrast to bidirectional.

Sorry ... a 3.5" lift needing about 3" bumpstop extension is not very convincing ... especially with the shortest bodied shocks in relation to travel potential available on the market today.

What about you guys complete the design with proper stems and barpins on the 6paks? hmmm?
That would tempt me to spend the asked price for the 6paks ... instead of looking at other high end shocks in this price range.
chmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #59
TheRealZ

Quote:
Front & Rear.

Sorry, but we just don't spend every day on the Forums. When we can, we try our best to provide good information, but, as a small growing shop, most of my day is spent on the phone with customers and doing other projects to enhance our customer's experience.

On the front trackbar.........are you willing to back that up by garenteeing a full refund(including shipping) if thats not the case including a return shipping label?

To date to my knowledge there is no bolt on aftermarket trackbar that requires NO EXTRA ADDED bumpstopping in the front of the TJ.

Thats a hell of a claim to make...........
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #60
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On the front trackbar.........are you willing to back that up by garenteeing a full refund(including shipping) if thats not the case including a return shipping label?

To date to my knowledge there is no bolt on aftermarket trackbar that requires NO EXTRA ADDED bumpstopping in the front of the TJ.

Thats a hell of a claim to make...........
x2...I really want to see the front track bar at full bump, stock full bump. Jounce removed, springs removed, both sides resting on the spring pad. Everything that uses a TRE or heim end at the frame end, that I've seen, needs to be straight over the diff cover for the most part due to the threads.....and if you want to clear the tie-rod and diff at stock full bump, you need a massively exaggerated bend immediately off the mount. At the very least, it would be good to know how much bumpstop extension is needed.

My "custom" track bar needs a V8 ZJ tie-rod and 1.375" bumpstop extension to clear....

and the diff cover is hacked up/modified a whole bunch to clear the track bar.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.