Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4

Well, there ya go! Keeping the axle square is important through the duration of the suspension travel... A JJ or Heim does not deflect nearly as much.
Oh crap, now do we have to worry about axle wrap with the Duroflex arms in the back. Does this mean we have to set our rear pinions 3-4 degrees lower than the driveshaft now? Lol.

J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
stinkbait87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Anymore feedback/pictures?
stinkbait87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Death wobble in the rear and you have to stop? That seems odd.

How did you diagnose the problem as being bad track bar bushings?
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I don't have any bumpstop extensions installed right now, or access to a jack big enough to be able to stuff the axle.
you can use any floor jack...i've dont it with the small 2-ton floor jacks....just use wood blocks... we really need to see some full bump pics (springs & jounce removed, cup installed).
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #20
matsonian
MetalCloak'd

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Oh crap, now do we have to worry about axle wrap with the Duroflex arms in the back. Does this mean we have to set our rear pinions 3-4 degrees lower than the driveshaft now? Lol.
LOL... If a 750hp JK (Thread) had no issues with axle wrap running Duroflex control arms, I don't think you will need to worry about it.

For quotes or customer service Click Here

Lots and Lots of Videos: https://www.youtube.com/metalcloak
matsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
stinkbait87
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Death wobble in the rear and you have to stop? That seems odd.

How did you diagnose the problem as being bad track bar bushings?
Honestly it's an educated guess. I'm not the most well versed on this kind of thing but it seemed like a decent bet considering the track bar keeps the axle centered and it feels like the axle is shimmying side to side. I got underneath the jeep to check with a torque wrench to see if anything was loose today. I was pressed for time and the only thing I could check was my lower control arms and they were plenty tight. I tried to twist my track bar just to see if there was any obvious play but no dice, so now I'm not sure. Unless I unbolt the track bar I don't feel like I can get a good look at the bushings. Any advice would be most appreciated.
stinkbait87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
1982cj8
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Get a track bar that is mounted in double shear, the single shear like the one pictured will loosen and the hiem will wear out. I put a Clayton manufacturing track bar on mine and it works great so far, a few thousand miles and not one loose bolt.

4X4XNORTHWEST.COM
1982cj8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
Get a track bar that is mounted in double shear, the single shear like the one pictured will loosen and the hiem will wear out. I put a Clayton manufacturing track bar on mine and it works great so far, a few thousand miles and not one loose bolt.
problem is if you want to do a double shear correctly, it's a crapload of work. cut the stock mount off, fab/build/weld on a new mount that fits between the axle housing and the tie-rod at full bump, then fab/build/weld a new track bar that fits around the diff at full bump....or run a crapload of bumpstop extension to keep stuff from bashing together.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #24
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsonian View Post
LOL... If a 750hp JK (Thread) had no issues with axle wrap running Duroflex control arms, I don't think you will need to worry about it.
Whew, close one. Crisis averted.
Unread 05-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #25
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982cj8 View Post
Mine hasn't come loose in a little over 9 years and 90k miles. Guessing mine not might come loose because I still have a tapered mounting hole. The jeep has been through the Rubicon Trail twice, the local trails around here and plenty of washboard road over the years. The first hiem started squeaking at about 7 years, but still had to use a puller to get the bolt out. Don't know why my first RE hiem lasted so much longer than the guy up above. Have to see how long this one lasts I guess.
I could use a little bit longer bolt, one more thread would bring it even to the top of the nut , only because I have a washer in there I can't make myself take out. I call it my personal loctite test.
I do keep dreaming of the day I buy a better trackbar and drill that hole out.
front-trackbar-frame-side.jpg  
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #26
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbait87 View Post
Honestly it's an educated guess. I'm not the most well versed on this kind of thing but it seemed like a decent bet considering the track bar keeps the axle centered and it feels like the axle is shimmying side to side. I got underneath the jeep to check with a torque wrench to see if anything was loose today. I was pressed for time and the only thing I could check was my lower control arms and they were plenty tight. I tried to twist my track bar just to see if there was any obvious play but no dice, so now I'm not sure. Unless I unbolt the track bar I don't feel like I can get a good look at the bushings. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Push on the Jeep body, watch where the slop originates.

Get it rocking.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
TheRealZ

When it comes to high clearance TB's for the TJ/LJ Currie is king.
TheRealZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm also curious about this... I can pick up both front/rear trackbars from metalcloak for the price of the currie front and as long as the clearance issues are taken care of it'll be a good option
Ljcrawler05 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #29
ctorres018
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Savvy makes track bars now?..
Unread 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #30
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctorres018 View Post
Savvy makes track bars now?..
Where'd u see that
Ljcrawler05 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.