Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Opinions on track bar: Savvy vs metal cloak

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #151
Savvy
Vendor
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote595 View Post
Yeah, I knew someone would make fun of my PC track bar. I do have a sweet Savvy GTS though!

No fitment problems here. I have a D44 front diff with a Solid diff cover, which is pretty bulky. Plenty of diff clearance with the Pro Comp track bar. As much as I do not care for the brand, I have not been able to justify replacing it yet.

There are two things that I do not like about it.
- First, the sleeve that goes inside the urethane bushing halves on the axle side, seems too short. This results in a lot of compression on the urethane which makes it bind a bit. I think if the sleeve was about .050" longer it would work better and provide better bushing life. This is an easy fix, but has never come to the top of the priority list.
- Second, with OME long travel shocks, when the suspension is at full droop, the top of the track bar at the axle end contacts the underside of the axle mount bracket slightly and limits droop on that side. If there was a bar available that did not do this, I could finally justify replacing it and would probably do so.

Does either the Currie or Metal Cloak front track bar have additional curvature at the axle bushing end to eliminate this interference at full droop? This bend would be a downward dip right at the axle mount end before curving upward and over to the frame mount. The OME long travel shocks have an extended length of 26.5" for reference.

Currie does and they weld the tube off center of the joint for a little bit of more clearance.

One more question - Does either company or anyone else for that matter make a Front TB with flex joints at both ends? I do not care for the the split urethane bushings.
Currie has a bushing on the axle side and JJ on the frame side. I'm not sure a JJ or DF would be of much benefit on the axle side. They can installed. Rear it is a different story. The Currie rear TB has JJ's on both end.

Like us on Facebook FACEBOOK.COM/SAVVYOFFROAD

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee Lifetime Guarantee - See Here

http://www.savvyoffroad.com

Savvy Spartan 2004 LJ

2014 JKU Test Mule

2006 LJ Unlimited Black Hole

2005 LJ Test Mule

2003 TJ Project Unrolled
2003 TJ Project Click Here
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #152
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
How much lift do you have? I have an ODC diff cover that the stock TB is hitting. I think RE makes a TB with a flex joint on the frame end only.
My lift amount is in my signature. The subject vehicle is the 2001 TJ. 4 inch susp and 1.25 body.
2001 TJ Sahara, White. Dana 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.25" total lift, JKS Control arms and disconnects, Currie steering, M.O.R.E. Steering box brace, Woody CV shafts, Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid Plate, Undercover Fab Aluminum TC Skid Plate, Skid Row Engine Skid, Ultra Nomad Wheels, 35 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ's

2004 LJ - Just getting started...
coyote595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #153
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No fitment problems here. I have a D44 front diff with a Solid diff cover, which is pretty bulky. Plenty of diff clearance with the Pro Comp track bar.
post full bump pictures, and tell us how much bumpstop extension is required. since you mentioned OME long travel shocks, you need at least 2" front and 2.5" rear bumpstop extension

my Solid cover clears too...after I cut & ground the face in half and welded it back together.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #154
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
You cannot make a track bar with bends in it and use two JJs (or any other non self-centering flex joint) on both ends. You could with the DF joints but Metalcloak already explained why they don't use them on the track bars.
In the TJ, I am running a Teraflex adjustable rear track bar that has a regular flex joint on the axle end and a self centering flex joint on the frame end. Both of these joints are greasable. This bar does have bends in it. I have been running this set up for about two years without any issues. Tera does not seem to offer this same set up for the front, so I was just wondering if Currie, MC or someone else might have it. If not, maybe there is a reason that it is not offered.
2001 TJ Sahara, White. Dana 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.25" total lift, JKS Control arms and disconnects, Currie steering, M.O.R.E. Steering box brace, Woody CV shafts, Aluminum Fuel Tank Skid Plate, Undercover Fab Aluminum TC Skid Plate, Skid Row Engine Skid, Ultra Nomad Wheels, 35 inch Mickey Thompson MTZ's

Unread 06-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #155
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Unlimited04;15557368]prove it.

Prove it? It is hardly worth lying about. I stated it, therefore it is true. I am happy to answer any questions though.

Your are correct. I am running 3 inches of bumpstop extension in the front and 2.75 in the rear. This is necessary because I am still running the stock Sahara flares with 35's. This Jeep still serves as my GF's daily driver. I just can't get her to let go of those pretty white flares. Well, they are not quite as pretty as they used to be. That is why I have another Jeep now. No more limitations on mods, unless they are self imposed.

Cheers

Unread 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #156
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I stated it, therefore it is true.

Quote:
This is necessary because I am still running the stock Sahara flares with 35's. This Jeep still serves as my GF's daily driver. I just can't get her to let go of those pretty white flares. Well, they are not quite as pretty as they used to be. That is why I have another Jeep now. No more limitations on mods, unless they are self imposed.
this part adds nothing to the discussion.

Quote:
Your are correct. I am running 3 inches of bumpstop extension in the front and 2.75 in the rear.
Now we get to the meat. 3" of bumpstop extension is ridiculous for most folks. I run 1.375" on my rig.

That MC track bar described in this thread shows no bumpstop extension needed, at least in their test setup.

The Currie TJS/TJJ model it's competing with needs about 2" w/ stock tie-rod, and some have taken that down into the 1"-1.5" range.

The new-gen JKS #126, also in this market, needs around 1.25" extension when used with a V8 ZJ tie-rod, or close to 0" extension when used with an drivers side 22mm offset tie-rod end w/ the V8 ZJ tie-rod.

So, the reason your setup works is because you have 3" of bumpstop extension...and that makes your setup not relevant for the discussion at hand. You can make stuff fit if you sacrifice uptravel, most here are trying to maximize travel - both up and down.
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #157
ArchStanton
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

this part adds nothing to the discussion.

Now we get to the meat. 3" of bumpstop extension is ridiculous for most folks. I run 1.375" on my rig.

That MC track bar described in this thread shows no bumpstop extension needed, at least in their test setup.

The Currie TJS/TJJ model it's competing with needs about 2" w/ stock tie-rod, and some have taken that down into the 1"-1.5" range.

The new-gen JKS #126, also in this market, needs around 1.25" extension when used with a V8 ZJ tie-rod, or close to 0" extension when used with an drivers side 22mm offset tie-rod end w/ the V8 ZJ tie-rod.

So, the reason your setup works is because you have 3" of bumpstop extension...and that makes your setup not relevant for the discussion at hand. You can make stuff fit if you sacrifice uptravel, most here are trying to maximize travel - both up and down.
I have 1.5" of bumpstop extension in the front and the Crown HD tie rod kit (ZJ). According to your figures, the JKS #126 or MC should fit, but will it clear the Outlaw Diff D 30 cover. Thanks Unlimited04!
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #158
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
I have 1.5" of bumpstop extension in the front and the Crown HD tie rod kit (ZJ). According to your figures, the JKS #126 or MC should fit, but will it clear the Outlaw Diff D 30 cover. Thanks Unlimited04!
my figures above are around a STOCK diff cover. if you want something that's going to clear, use a STOCK diff cover.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #159
ArchStanton
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04

my figures above are around a STOCK diff cover. if you want something that's going to clear, use a STOCK diff cover.
Thanks!
ArchStanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #160
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post

How much travel is in your shocks? And collapsed length? It's hard to find 13.5" collapsed length shocks with decent travel which makes bumpstop extensions necessary.
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #161
Unlimited04

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
How much travel is in your shocks? And collapsed length? It's hard to find 13.5" collapsed length shocks with decent travel which makes bumpstop extensions necessary.
if i can get the time to finish what's on my workbench, i'll have 11" travel shocks (15.5" collapsed length) with only 1.375" bumpstop extension, ~5" up/~6" down in front.
Unread 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #162
coyote595
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Back when I ran 33's, I used the same OME N66L shocks with 15.5 / 26.5 length (11 inch travel) with only 2 inches of bumpstop extension. There was no interference with the Procomp track bar and solid cover. It was only after I stepped up to 35's that I had to go to 3 inches of bumpstop extension to keep the larger tires out of the fenders at full stuff. The bumpstop increase had nothing to do with the track bar.

Unread 06-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #163
taterhed
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I guess this is as good a time as any to ask my question: I'm settling in on the Savvy/Currie or MC springs for my LJ. Considering the MC 3.5 springs, but haven't heard from a heavy LJ yet. Waiting for opinion on the MC track-bar. Waiting for opinion on the arms: Savvy or MC. I'll have 1 1/4" BL and 1" ML. I'm also going to move the upper spring mounts.. that'll lift the back a little.

There's a really good deal on the Rancho 9000's right now though--I'd like to buy my shocks. Can I get a recommendation for shock length? I'll use shock adapters on top (Terraflex style that add 1" length) and outboard the bottom mounts. Not sure which mount on the bottom; maybe Clayton (on back of LCA mount) or just weld-on brackets outboard of the LCA (Nth or ??). I'm not skilled enough to make my own....

Rancho has (rec'd lift, compressed, extended, travel) 0"/12/19/6 2.5-3.5"/13/21/7 4-5"/15/24/8 and 5-6"/16/25/9 (all rounded). Anybody got a feel for the right size? (based on experience, not guesses )

I will have heavy rear bumper, hardtop (in winter) and tire carrier. I'm planning on Savvy 3/3.5 spring combos or 3.5 MC springs. I could do Savvy/MC rears and maybe go OME HD 2" with JKS ACOS up front to fine tune the height from winter/summer etc... (heavy front bump, winch) Thoughts?

Yes, I'd love to hear your rec'd for shocks/brackets/spring combos etc.... but only for shocks under $100 (R9000xl are around $75 with rebate now).

Mostly on-road, gravel, trails. Some big ditches, snow, creek beds and logs.

Thanks.

Don't mean to hijack, but there's so much talk about shock length and bumpstops--I couldn't resist.

Last edited by taterhed; 06-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: added comment about spring mounts
taterhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #164
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhed View Post
I guess this is as good a time as any to ask my question: I'm settling in on the Savvy/Currie or MC springs for my LJ. Considering the MC 3.5 springs, but haven't heard from a heavy LJ yet. Waiting for opinion on the MC track-bar. Waiting for opinion on the arms: Savvy or MC. I'll have 1 1/4" BL and 1" ML.

There's a really good deal on the Rancho 9000's right now though--I'd like to buy my shocks. Can I get a recommendation for shock length? I'll use shock adapters on top (Terraflex style that add 1" length) and outboard the bottom mounts. Not sure which mount on the bottom; maybe Clayton (on back of LCA mount) or just weld-on brackets outboard of the LCA (Nth or ??). I'm not skilled enough to make my own....

Rancho has (rec'd lift, compressed, extended, travel) 0"/12/19/6 2.5-3.5"/13/21/7 4-5"/15/24/8 and 5-6"/16/25/9 (all rounded). Anybody got a feel for the right size? (based on experience, not guesses )

I will have heavy rear bumper, hardtop (in winter) and tire carrier. I'm planning on Savvy 3/3.5 spring combos or 3.5 MC springs. I could do Savvy/MC rears and maybe go OME HD 2" with JKS ACOS up front to fine tune the height from winter/summer etc... (heavy front bump, winch) Thoughts?

Yes, I'd love to hear your rec'd for shocks/brackets/spring combos etc.... but only for shocks under $100 (R9000xl are around $75 with rebate now).

Mostly on-road, gravel, trails. Some big ditches, snow, creek beds and logs.

Thanks.

Don't mean to hijack, but there's so much talk about shock length and bumpstops--I couldn't resist.
Been waiting on some input on the same question... will be a couple months before I get a chance to order so im just waiting on that heavy lj input... I know a guy locally who has the metalcloak springs on his lj and he said he highly recommends them and he'll put them on every one of his rigs. He hasnt had them too long but im curious about sag over time with the mc
Ljcrawler05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #165
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterhed View Post
I guess this is as good a time as any to ask my question: I'm settling in on the Savvy/Currie or MC springs for my LJ. Considering the MC 3.5 springs, but haven't heard from a heavy LJ yet. Waiting for opinion on the MC track-bar. Waiting for opinion on the arms: Savvy or MC. I'll have 1 1/4" BL and 1" ML. I'm also going to move the upper spring mounts.. that'll lift the back a little.

9000XL's are $325 before the rebate at Truckaddons.com (that's for 4) right now. So about $56 each after rebate.

I am on a 4" lift (albeit a TJ) and I got RS999061 for the front and RS999256 for the rear. The front is 10.375" travel and rear is about 8.875" IIRC. I am not outboarded.

I don't know how well outboarding your lower mounts in the rear will work without outboarding the upper mounts. The shocks may contact the frame.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.