OPDA fixed by dealer...should I still check it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OPDA fixed by dealer...should I still check it?

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
AFARR
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OPDA fixed by dealer...should I still check it?...update..bought new Crown, how to??

The 2005 (mostly ready to get on the road....now it's cosmetic stuff..pulling & cleaning carpets, seats, etc)...Nov 15 '04 build date, so it falls right in the middle of the OPDA issues.

I did a VIN check and it comes up:

THE CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR/OIL PUMP DRIVE ASSEMBLY DATE CODE LABEL MUST BE INSPECTED. UNITS WITHIN A SPECIFIC DATE CODE RANGE MUST HAVE THE DRIVE GEAR REPLACED.

(with a status of REPAIRED).

On the Jeep recall check website.

That was done March 21, 2005.

Should it be checked again (it's got around 60k miles right now) before I start driving it...i.e...was the dealer fix a permanent one?

Thanks!

AFARR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

When you are all done reading this thread you will know everything you need to know.

JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes re-check. The new design OPDA was not introduced in 2005 when the dealer 'fixed' your jeep. Most likely they just swapped in another OEM unit
Unread 12-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Did jeep ever get an opdg with an upper bearing?
Did jeep ever get one that oiled the top?

I would think jeep ones are all the same, a poor design, but maybe im wrong?

The one I installed, has an aftermarket upper bearing assembly, not a bushing.
its been good for about 20k miles. Hopefully it lasts?
Mine was repaired b4 the new crown units came out.
glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
joe_jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
AFARR
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStMarie View Post
When you are all done reading this thread you will know everything you need to know.

Uh...Ok.

I actually skimmed the links in the post as to removal, noise, etc.

I'd probably tend towards replacing it rather than modifying it (although as simple as it looks to remove, probably worth doing just to check before ordering parts).

Without going through the 300+ pages, is there a recommended, high quality replacement..that can make 150k more miles (assuming there's wear on the gear or it is the old style just swapped in, and a good cam gear)?

Thanks!
Unread 12-14-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFARR View Post
Uh...Ok.

I actually skimmed the links in the post as to removal, noise, etc.

I'd probably tend towards replacing it rather than modifying it (although as simple as it looks to remove, probably worth doing just to check before ordering parts).

Without going through the 300+ pages, is there a recommended, high quality replacement..that can make 150k more miles (assuming there's wear on the gear or it is the old style just swapped in, and a good cam gear)?

Thanks!
Design-wise the Crown replacement is the best option out there, but it hasn't been around long enough to say what happens in "150k more miles".
Unread 12-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
AFARR
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Design-wise the Crown replacement is the best option out there, but it hasn't been around long enough to say what happens in "150k more miles".
Thanks. From what I could see, it looks like it's Crown or Dorman as the 'available' units.

I'll check when I get home on the ODPA and see what it's labeled (make sure it wasn't changed again).

Thanks again!!
Unread 12-14-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you read that closely you will note 2 things. 1 it was a “campaign”, not a recall. 2 the OPDA was not replaced, the gear was. Listed as 3-21-2005, the same date my gear was replaced so not sure if that is a coincidence or not but that is also listed as the delivery (in service) date on my ’05. The gear did nothing to fix the design flaw but was just to replace a bad batch of gears according to what I have read. In April of 2011 I started getting the “laughing monkey” from a dry top bushing & shaft galling & binding. The replacement “campaign” gear had excessive wear, assumed to be from the excessive drag from the dry bushing/binding shaft except the wear pattern was very uneven, much more wear on several teeth & pretty much normal pattern on the rest. That was at about 24,000 miles.

So that “campaign” repair is not a fix for possible other OPDA problems. There is another guy here that has a 2005 within the dates of this & also apparently had the gear replaced & has now been fighting (a losing battle) with Chrysler since he had to replace his cam because of excessive cam gear wear after getting the laughing monkey & replacing the OPDA & couldn’t get is to stop throwing codes & going into limp mode.

Some say this has been blown way out of proportion & is not a big problem which may be true but if it hits you, you may not agree. Easy to check or take you chances but thinking the “campaign” puts you in the clear may be a mistake.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #9
AFARR
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks....Ordered the Crown unit to replace, and:

I'll check the cam wear when I pull the old unit.

I do have a brief question on the replacement...

I see how to mark the old unit (sharpie vs. using the alignment holes).

For a new unit (complete) with the plastic alignment tab in place...do you still have to move to TDC (before removing the old unit)? Easier to turn the engine until the alignment holes are matching? I don't have ready access to an engine analyzer, so I'm going to need to try to keep the timing on.

(For the $95ish for the unit, and because my kids will be driving it, adds some peace of mind over worrying that they'll pay attention for a noise...they do to some extent...as opposed the wife...'the car's making a noise, you need to look at it'...what kind of a noise?...'a loud one'...when does it happen...'when I'm in it.)

Thanks!

(looking like I might make a day of it and replace the Valve Cover gasket also..).

Thanks!
Unread 12-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Turn the engine until the holes are almost lined up the finish by turning it until the timing marks line up on the front pulley. Removing the belt makes it easier to see the marks. Then the engine will be exactly on TDC when you drop the new one in with the alignment pin in place. Be sure to tighten the hold down bolt before removing the pin. If you pull the pin first you may move the unit when tightening it. Even a small amount can give you a code or even keep it from starting.

It is possible that when exactly on TDC the holes will be slightly misaligned because of wear on the gears & some stretching of the timing chain. Getting it reset with pin in & on TDC should get you better sync between the cam & crank sensors & less chance of getting a P0016 code.

Here are some links that should help:

Setting the OPDA with photos

Photo of the belt off & timing marks with directions for proper alignment

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in.../#post13962022

Also here w/3 photos -- belt off, & positions of housing in & coming out

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op.../#post13299830

Resetting OPDA after P0016

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post14082711
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
AFARR
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Turn the engine until the holes are almost lined up the finish by turning it until the timing marks line up on the front pulley. Removing the belt makes it easier to see the marks. Then the engine will be exactly on TDC when you drop the new one in with the alignment pin in place. Be sure to tighten the hold down bolt before removing the pin. If you pull the pin first you may move the unit when tightening it. Even a small amount can give you a code or even keep it from starting.

It is possible that when exactly on TDC the holes will be slightly misaligned because of wear on the gears & some stretching of the timing chain. Getting it reset with pin in & on TDC should get you better sync between the cam & crank sensors & less chance of getting a P0016 code.

Here are some links that should help:

Setting the OPDA with photos

Photo of the belt off & timing marks with directions for proper alignment

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/in.../#post13962022

Also here w/3 photos -- belt off, & positions of housing in & coming out

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/op.../#post13299830

Resetting OPDA after P0016

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...l#post14082711
Thanks...didn't pick up on the leave the plastic pin in until it's bolted down...might have created some problems...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.