OPDA failure on 2002 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OPDA failure on 2002

Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OPDA failure on 2002

A few weeks ago my 02's 4.0 dropped three piston skirts and I recently had it replaced with a 4.0 from an 06. Being a 2006 engine I would normally be concerned about the OPDA failure however the engine was nearly brand new and I would be swapping in the OPDA from my 2002 instead.

OPDA in 2002 block

2006's OPDA that was not used

Well... much to my surprise when the OPDA/CPA was pulled from my 02 we found very abnormal wear on it.

Obviously I bought a new one to put in the 2006 block I thought I just might bring this to the attention of other TJ owners and would like to hear if this is how the other OPDA failures looked.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Brian86992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would post this up in the main opda thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I posted a link to this thread over there. I wanted to create a separate thread because of the abnormality of the situation and didn't want this posting to get lost among hundreds of others.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #4
marka2k

2006 WK 

Dumb question but could the OPDA failure be attributed to dropping the three piston skirts?
I am asking because I do not actually know but am curious.

Thank you
marka2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Brian86992
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marka2k View Post
Dumb question but could the OPDA failure be attributed to dropping the three piston skirts?
I am asking because I do not actually know but am curious.

Thank you
To be honest I'm not quite sure. I know that I drove for several thousand miles with a tick that I thought was a sticky lifter and turned out to be a piston skirt. The problem that prompted getting a new engine was a second, or third and more severe piston skirt being dropped resulting in a very noticeable knock.

Here's the tricky part with cause and effect... I don't know if the pistons broke and the shavings wore down the OPDA or the OPDA wore down, causing the pistons to break. I'm still not 100% sure of the cause of my broken pistons but I know that overheating, a cracked head that dumped coolant into the engine and moving to Indiana (exposing the engine to freezing temperatures for the first time) could all play a role.

4 linked DD on coilovers
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome info. Thanks for the link on the main thread. I will add a link to the first page for easy reference. Very odd.
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Did it spin freely? Would you be willing to dissect it and take photos? How many miles were on the CPS?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.