OPDA/Camshaft Synchronizer shaft problem (TSB E05R) consolidated REGISTRY please sign - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OPDA/Camshaft Synchronizer shaft problem (TSB E05R) consolidated REGISTRY please sign

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #91
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2005 LJ 115k
Laughing monkeys
Stripper guy Mod $60
New OPDA $140/shipped
Repaired & modded myself for total investment = $200Chrysler was not contacted but according to service repairs the gear was swapped @ 30k. The old OPDA also had Sharpie marks on it so the previous owner had looked at the unit at some point.
All is good with the repair currently.

I had the parts on hand & at first sign of laughing monkeys swapped everything out. My gear was in excellent condition & looked new. However the shaft coming from the target wheel had a lot of heat markings. The end of the shaft had a small indention on the edge of the tooth that fit into the oil pump slot.

SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #92
jprotain

OPDA/Camshaft

It was approximately 8 month ago when my LJ started with problems.
1. 2005 LJ Rubicon build date pending, mileage 48,000
2. Thought I had "laughing monkey" but it turned out to be something else. However the #6 cylinder started missing and only got worse. Took it into a shop and they scoped the 6 cylinder and found metal. Basically after they tore it down the lifter was almost as bad as the original post picture and the cam was flattened.
3. & 4. I had two choices, one rebuild upper end with no warranty, two remove and rebuild. I chose #2. total cost of R&R was right at 4,200. I did get the jeep back with old OPDA in it was still concerned so I installed stipperguy mod. Approximately 2000 miles on motor no issues. Rebuild shop did indicate they thought he old motor did what it did because the zink in oils had been removed around the same time jeep was new and or still braking in.
5. Did not contact Chrysler, I am the second owner.
6. N/A
7. not yet.
jprotain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #93
Submariner
Submariner

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I will edit this later

05 rubicon 148K

Replaced the ODPA over weekend upper bearing worn out.

With 20 years in the US Navy, and nine+ years underwater on Nuc Subs.

And they wonder why I am the way I am!!!!!!
Submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #94
TGLPilot

2006 TJ Wrangler 

1. Year, model, mileage, and build date of your Jeep
'06 TJ with a little under 30k, not sure about the BD but it was first sold in early '07

2. Brief description of the problem and any collateral damage. Please include pictures if available.
It suddenly sputtered and quit and my wife was barely able to get to the side of the road.

3. Actions taken to fix the problem
Wasn't aware of the problems so it was replaced with an OEM one by the local dealer.

4. Approximate cost of repair
Zero to me since we had an extended warranty.

5. Did Chrysler pay for or reimburse any of the repairs?
Not to my knowledge.

6. If Chrysler did pay, what steps were taken to make them pay
NA

7. Has the problem returned?
No. (knock wood!)
TGLPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #95
ActionJackson
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but I now hit a "rev limiter" at ~32 - 3300 rpms and the motor will not rev higher and bounces the tach. The OPDA squeals at 28 - 3000 rpms.

It's still under warranty, but as of right now the dealership refuses to do anything. I had the motor rebuilt twice already for collapsed lifters. It was rebuilt and a week later the bottom end came apart (hence the 2nd rebuild). Never been right since. Might be taking it in this week to the dealership and showing them the new issues.

Will keep this updated as it progresses. I have an '06, not sure on actual build date with just under 47k miles.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #519
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #96
Squirrel52696
2006 TJ Wrangler 

this thread saved my Jeep - for now

1. Year, model, mileage, and build date of your Jeep.
2006, Wrangler TJ, 27, 500, (don't have right now)

2. Brief description of the problem and any collateral damage. Please include pictures if available.
engine died on me on the highway - over heated, check engine light, and laughing monkey noise prior (didn't know what it was at the time)

dealer said it was a bad cam sensor, had it replaced. died the day after repair. repaired again, died again. spent more than 2 weeks at the shop while they couldn't diagnose, then called an 'expert' in from northern NJ - couldn't find the cause. Googled and found this thread. presented dealer with repair code, information, and repair instructions from this thread - had the distributor assembly/oil pump drive assembly replaced. has not died since. engine now makes very high pitched running noise and mild grating noise. took several oil flushes to remove metal from oil.

$400 for OPDA replacement only - not including prior sensor replacement

NO

No, however engine noise is getting worst.

I'm very ticked at this. We're the second owners. Bought it 2 yrs before this from the dealer that sold it to the first owners. It had just under 15K miles on it when we got it. It was towed behind a class A camper and used seasonally.

Last edited by Squirrel52696; 07-12-2013 at 03:14 AM..
Squirrel52696 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #97
kkibbey

1. Year, model, mileage, and build date of your Jeep.
2006 Wrangler Rubicon TJ with 49,702 miles and built in 01/06

I heard the "laughing monkey" for several days, and brought it to my independent mechanic shop, and they found nothing wrong visually, so it was cleaned and lubed. A couple days later, I was on a remote dirt road, and I lost oil pressure completely and triggered the "Check gauges" light. I was able to pull over before it started ticking too bad and I had it towed back to the shop ($75), under the predetermination that my oil pump had failed somewhere. Problem returned with the OPDA, I fear that the camshaft was damaged. TBD

Had it towed to my mechanics shop. Found the issue was in fact the OPDA, and found that it was a common problem for them to wear prematurely and that Chrysler was replacing them on a case to case basis (based on a TSB issued). I called my dealer and they "couldn't find any info on it". I got a new OPDA from the dealer and had it installed, at my own cost hoping that it would be the end of the issue, only to have the Jeep fall into limp mode at 3,200 RPMs once warmed up and the CEL P0016 code a couple days later. More work necessary to resolve the issue completely. TBD

$225 with new OPDA from Chrysler dealer, but soon after replacement, CEL came on reading P0016 and Jeep goes into "Limp Mode" at 3,200 RPMs (once engine warms up to around 150 degrees or so). Still need to diagnose the continuing issue and go from there. Further work is imminent, end cost TBD.

No

N/A

Yes, fear that the camshaft was damaged. TBD

This is a ridiculous issue to have on a vehicle with under 50,000 miles! I contacted my local dealership, and Chrysler directly, about the issue (and potential coverage), and got the runaround on both ends. I kept getting the "Well, it's not under warranty any longer, and it was never a recall...just a TSB. So We are not responsible for reimbursement or coverage of any kind." It has cost me a mild amount of money so far, and will surely cost a great deal more to alleviate the issue completely. This has however cost more than money, it has cost me my faith in Jeep as a company. They are clearly unwilling to correct an issue that they openly admit to be a problem, but rather sidestep the issue by issuing a TSB instead of a recall (clearly their reports did not meet a REQUIRED number).
kkibbey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #98
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Your shop did not get the OPDA properly aligned with the crank, that's why you have the error code. The OPDA hold down bolt needs to be loosened and the OPDA rotated slightly one way or the other. You can trial and error it, or you can take it to a shop with the proper scan tool to do it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.