OPDA/Camshaft Synchronizer shaft problem (TSB E05R) consolidated REGISTRY please sign - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OPDA/Camshaft Synchronizer shaft problem (TSB E05R) consolidated REGISTRY please sign

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 09-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #61
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

1. Year, model, mileage, and build date of your Jeep
'06 Rubicon Unlimited, 12,800 miles...unsure at the moment of the exact build date, but it was in early 2006.
2. Brief description of the problem and any collateral damage. Please include pictures if available.
Checked for issue at 9,300 miles when I bought it, found issue and added about 3,000 miles before addressing the problem. Pictures can be found in the main OPDA thread.
3. Actions taken to fix the problem
Replaced camshaft and OPDA gear
4. Approximate cost of repair
I have about $350 into the repair
5. Did Chrysler pay for or reimburse any of the repairs?
No
6. If Chrysler did pay, what steps were taken to make them pay
N/A
7. Has the problem returned?
No, and hopefully it won't with a new cam.

Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2011, 11:18 PM   #62
Jp90Talon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

1. 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Sahara Unlimited 64k miles (51k when OPDA failed) build date 3/2005.
2. OPDA gear shattered causing complete loss of oil pressure. (see pic below)
3. Had to have Jeep towed back to CT from NH then from my home to shop. Paid shop to replace OPDA plus they had to drop oil pan to remove the sections of the gear that broken off. Unsure of any long term internal damage caused by failure and loss of oil pressure. Rental car for two weeks.
4. Total estimate (it happen about a year and a half ago) including parts, labor, and car rental a bit over $1300
5. Even though it happen with only 51k miles on the Jeep I am the 3rd owner and after speaking directly with Chrysler Inc I was informed that "they were not obligated to provide any type of support because my vehicle was not covered under any warranty"
6. Chrysler was not willing to provide any assistance
7. Thankfully no.....but I have only put 12k miles on it since

What the shop pulled out

Jp90Talon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #63
Beefstew
Jub Jub

2006 TJ Wrangler 

After spending the past day or two researching this issue it really grinds my gears(no pun intended) that chrysler still has yet to cough up and cover the cost of these repairs. It clearly is a known issue that continues to occur.

I heard for the first time this weekend the laughing monkey from under my hood. Perfect timing considering the warranty ran out last month. This is frustrating knowing that I am most likely going to have to repair this thing. Its cold out, da heck chrysler!!!!

06, tj, 68k, 11/05
2. Brief description of the problem and any collateral damage. Please include pictures if available.
Heard the squealing for the first time... Will address immediately.
Contacting jeep and dealership later today!!!
N/A will update
They dang hell should, but is unlikely they will
N/A will update
N/A will update
Beefstew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #64
ActionJackson
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed. Will have to add info later, at work.
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #519
ActionJackson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #65
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

These were made by Diamler Chrysler, and it is not Chrysler LLC I believe is the biggest reason "Chrysler" won't pony up any warranty on these. ?
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #66
hoppy1962
2005 LJ Wrangler 

opda problem linked to LJ's ?

Seems to me there is a large number of LJ's with an opda problem. Any body know why? Perhaps cause it weighs more and the engine has to work harder?
or maybe they sold more LJ's than TJ's during those years?
hoppy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #67
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 wrangler and had to replace the engine due to the problem with the faulty head cracking. I pulled my motor out of an 04 grand cherokee that had 49,000 miles at the time. I'm now up to about 70k on the engine,and on really cold mornings, i get a loud squeeling on start-up which increases with engine rpm's. It goes away after the engine has warmed up for several minutes. I don't know if I can describe the sound as a "laughing monkey" but it's incredibly loud and annoying. Anyone willing to take a wild guess if this is an OPDA issue?
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #68
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26679cj5
I have a 2000 wrangler and had to replace the engine due to the problem with the faulty head cracking. I pulled my motor out of an 04 grand cherokee that had 49,000 miles at the time. I'm now up to about 70k on the engine,and on really cold mornings, i get a loud squeeling on start-up which increases with engine rpm's. It goes away after the engine has warmed up for several minutes. I don't know if I can describe the sound as a "laughing monkey" but it's incredibly loud and annoying. Anyone willing to take a wild guess if this is an OPDA issue?
You can hear the Monkey in the videos on page one here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/. It's really quite distinct.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #69
JeepScrap
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy1962
Seems to me there is a large number of LJ's with an opda problem. Any body know why? Perhaps cause it weighs more and the engine has to work harder?
or maybe they sold more LJ's than TJ's during those years?
Now that's just plain ridiculous. And there are way more TJs than LJs.
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #70
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
You can hear the Monkey in the videos on page one here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/. It's really quite distinct.
ok wow thanks, helpful link. the squeeling im getting doesnt sound like that, good to know its not as severe of a problem.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #71
kyleboender
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2005, TJ Unlimited, 60,000 kms.

Excessive and abnormal wear of the OPDA gear and camshaft gear, eminent failure is certain.

Brought it in a few months ago when it was still under 5 year 100,000km warrenty, replaced Cam and OPDA, checked valves, replaced upper gaskets (valve cover, headgasket..etc). Took lots of convincing just to check it, once checked and found damage was replaced with no questions asked.

$0.00

Fully

None

Not yet
kyleboender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #72
06choppertj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A ''Revelation" my son. It is a worm gear !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFog View Post
Just because it seems covered in oil doesn't mean its being "properly lubricated".

The first thing you have to consider is this isn't a normal gear with teeth interlocked with another gear in the same axis. The gear configuration is whats know as a "worm gear". Worm gears have higher and more specialized lubrication needs.

With a worm gear the gear on the camshaft isn't really a "gear" its a screw that spins with the camshaft. The gear on the CPS/OPDA sits next to the camshaft and as the camshaft spins the threads of of the cam shaft worm gear the "walk" the teeth of the gear making it turn.

Because of this your not seeing the normal gear tooth on gear tooth force as seen with normal gears. What is actually happening is the face of the threads on the camshaft "screw" are literally grinding against the side of the teeth on the OPDA/CPS gear as it spins.

Now think about how much force its required to spin the oil pump going down the highway. Now consider that load and the pressure its causing the cam shaft worm gear to grind against the teeth of the OPDA/CPS.

This is the cause of the striations that we are all seeing on our OPDA/CPS gears. This type of wear is what ZDDP was designed to counter act, just as it was for the sliding lobe of a cam on a lifter.

The reason engine oils are not causing failures in most modern vehicles is because they eliminated the distributor cap and went to direct coil and there isn't the use of any "worm" gear systems in modern engines.

FOG
You hit it right on the head ! As I have been studying this ongoing post you said what is obvious. This is about normal wear for a worm gear driven assembly.
06choppertj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #73
socaldaveh

2005 LJ Wrangler 

05, lj, 45000

Laughing monkey started one morning.

Immediately replaced with new opda

$250

No.

No.
You can read about jeeps all you want, but if you take a jeep that you don't love out on the trail, she'll shake you down just as sure as the the turning of the world. Love keeps her going when she ought to break down, tells you she's hurting before she dies. It's a jeep thing, you probably won't understand.
socaldaveh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #74
paulj66
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2005 LJ, 16,000 miles, build date 01/05

Laughing monkey noise started in May 2007.

Brought it to DC for warranty repair. DC replace the OPDA and the camshaft.

$100.00 deductible under factory warranty. Not sure how much the repair cost DC.

Yes, they paid all but the $100 deductible.

They paid without any actions on my part.

TBD, I'm now at 87K miles and dealing with transmission problems. No laughing monkey, but I will be inspecting the OPDA while it's down.
paulj66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #75
Pound
2006 LJ Wrangler 

2006, LJ Rubicon, 45k
Laughing monkey, Typical wear
new opda, oil cup mod, mobile 1 turbo diesel oil
$150
No
N/a
Too early to tell
bushing-wear.jpg   upper-bushing-wear.jpg   gear-wear.jpg   tang-wear.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.