OPDA/Camshaft Synchronizer shaft problem (TSB E05R) consolidated REGISTRY please sign - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > OPDA/Camshaft Synchronizer shaft problem (TSB E05R) consolidated REGISTRY please sign

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #46
Skydiver1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I picked up a new "distributor" with a different kind of pick up. It is a stamped sheet metal that has a roughly 180 degree "blade" that gives the signal instead of a tone wheel. The gear looks and measures the same but I will blue it when I install it with a new stock grind federal mogul cam. I am curious to know what oils to use to break in this new set up and what is best to run in it forever after. Valvoline has VR1 10W-30 with ZDDP in it, but you can get a 4oz bottle of ZDDPlus to add to any oil (synthetic). STP has an oil treatment with ZDDP, but it is half a quart and thick as honey so I don't like that. I am sure I can just stick the new gear onto the shaft and run it since the cam shaft is not as bad as the OPDG, but then I am just delaying the inevitable.

Skydiver1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #47
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

If you are installing a new cam you will also need to install new lifters.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #48
uf20wop
2006 TJ Wrangler 

1. 2006, Wrangler Sport, 50K miles, build date is early 06
2. Nothing major yet, buy definite wear on the gear.

3. Gonna try to wait it out and get a new OPDA when they come available and most likely fogmod it.
4. Cost of OPDA
5. No, out of warranty
uf20wop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #49
njseifrick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

1. Year, model, mileage, and build date of your Jeep
*2006, LJ Rubicon, 18000, build date 3/2006
2. Brief description of the problem and any collateral damage. Please include pictures if available.
*Engine stopped running, towed to nearby dealer
3. Actions taken to fix the problem
*Diagnosed issue and replaced OPDA, oil pump, cam shaft, all tappets & all fluids.
4. Approximate cost of repair
* would not say . . .
5. Did Chrysler pay for or reimburse any of the repairs?
* repaired under extended warranty (less $100)
6. If Chrysler did pay, what steps were taken to make them pay
* nothing needed, still under warranty
7. Has the problem returned?
* not since repaired a year ago.
* update, 2/2013, 37500 miles, still ok, under service contract but still carry spare
* update, 6/1/2013 38,000 miles. Pulled to check-looks good so far. Image in main post. Just replaced with Dorman unit. Still carry a spare!
njseifrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #50
GTGTrucks
2005 LJ Wrangler 

2005, LJ Rubicon, 49653 Mile, build date March, 2005
2. Brief description of the problem
Inspected after reading of problem of OPDA on this form and found scoring, heat damage, and gear wear

Cleaned and greased untill I could find a good solution.
Non yet, still investigating
GTGTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #51
Onetype
2000 XJ Cherokee 

1. 2005 LJ Rubicon 88,xxx Jan. 05
2. p0344 code the day I bought it while driving home. Pulled OPDA (Rev - E), worn more than it should be for such low mileage.
3. Ordered new OPDA to Fogmod
4. $120 (although it's just going to go bad again)
5. Haha!
7. It probably will, and then out will come the motor for 5.3
Onetype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #52
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Man I a little worried about mine being more worn than normal. I have a 2005 but, the door jam says it was built in October of 2004 and the engine I think was assembled around June I think. Its crazy though because I have the same set up the 2005/2006's have but, have technically a 2004 Jeep. 85k nothing weird yet knocking on the biggest piece of wood I can find. I don't want to pull it just because I have heard of the sync being a little off no matter how you mark it. I heard the safest way is to sync it back with the DRB but, thats an easy 100 dollars. I have been using the VR1 10w-30 for the last year to help keep wear to a minumin. Does it usually start to make a squel noise or something?
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #53
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedlj View Post
Man I a little worried about mine being more worn than normal. I have a 2005 but, the door jam says it was built in October of 2004 and the engine I think was assembled around June I think. Its crazy though because I have the same set up the 2005/2006's have but, have technically a 2004 Jeep. 85k nothing weird yet knocking on the biggest piece of wood I can find. I don't want to pull it just because I have heard of the sync being a little off no matter how you mark it. I heard the safest way is to sync it back with the DRB but, thats an easy 100 dollars. I have been using the VR1 10w-30 for the last year to help keep wear to a minumin. Does it usually start to make a squel noise or something?
The computer will self correct. I've had mine out half a dozen times with NO problems. I've swapped mine with a new one with only a sharpie and NO problems. My advice is pull it and check it.

It might not squeal or give any advanced notice. I don't recall for certain that in the cases of failure there was advanced notice. Mine squealed (thankfully), but if I were you I wouldn't wait for a squeal that may never come.
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:57 PM   #54
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

2006 lj Rubicon. built November 2005. 12,500 miles

2. Brief description of the problem and any collateral damage. Please include pictures if available.
Worn drive gear after inspection
Took it to dealer and they replaced gear under $100 deductible.
$100 deductible Chrysler good guy warranty. Have dealer invoice.
No, I found out later I could of done my self for way cheaper, Chrysler made money off of me.
n/a

Have not checked it, did buy new OPDA just in case.
popeyesides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #55
tcmault

Let's keep this thread alive. I have not yanked mine yet and I am at 57k. Once I do I will return with my observations.
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #56
Onetype
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've had my new new fogmodded opda in for less than 1,500 miles and i'm already having issues again. I'm right at 90k miles on my 05 LJ Rubi.

My guess : Cam gear was too far gone. I'm going to pull the opda out this weekend and inspect it.

I'm planning on trashing the motor next summer for an ls1 swap. I've been a happy owner of many Cherokee's, and I've never had the kind of issues this LJ has.
Onetype is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #57
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Are you certain the OPDA was installed exactly the way it came out? Could it be off just a hair?
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #58
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 60K mi. built June '06 (among the last to roll out of Toledo)

Laughing Monkey a couple of mornings, not diagnosed as OPDA for 100+ miles, engine shut down at 65mph, failed OPDA and damaged cam.

Shaft at upper bushing

Upper bushing and seal

OPDA shaft gear

Cam gear

Cam lobe (all lobes were similar and I have no way of knowing the relationship between their condition and the OPDA)

Replaced OPDA, then again 2k mi later when I replaced cam, lifters, etc.

Approximately $3500

They promised to cover 75% "as good will," then decided not to include either OPDA, the first dealer visit (where I went to have them inspect the cam gear and recommend to Chrysler that they should cover it) or any of the 18qts of VR1, bottle of break-in additive and 3 oil filters required for proper cam break-in. They shorted me about $700, as I recall. Glad they helped, but they didn't do exactly what they said they would do.

Contacted service writer at known customer service oriented dealer, explained entire OPDA thing to him, and asked if he would inspect it and help persuade Chrysler into helping. Paid for first OPDA "replacement" (I'd already replaced it, but they needed a service ticket in order to inspect and make a recommendation to corporate). Based on dealer inspection and service writer influence, they agreed to reimburse me 75% of the total cost (which, again, they did not)

Not yet (knock on wood)
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2011, 06:14 PM   #59
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

2006 Wrangler Rubicon, 31K mi.

Laughing Monkey a couple of mornings, hopped on JF right away, looking for the cause. Only put a few miles on it before doing the oil switch.

Complained to Jeep, got a new cam, complained to jeep somemore, got a new OPDA installed today @ 33089 miles.

$377.00 for OPDA
$43.50 for the install
$26.39 in taxes

Total cost to me: $445. 89 (Before refund from Jeep)

Covered the cost of the cam gear and got just about half my money back (IIRC) for the OPDA/install.

It all started with me contacting Jeep via the link on their web page, then it was several phone calls and e-mails with two different customer service reps.

Not yet.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #60
njseifrick
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by njseifrick View Post
*2006, LJ Rubicon, 24,000, build date 3/2006
*Engine stopped running, towed to nearby dealer
*Diagnosed issue and replaced OPDA, oil pump, cam shaft, all tappets & all fluids.
* would not say . . .
* repaired under extended warranty (less $100)
* nothing needed, still under warranty
* not since repaired a year ago.
Decided to purchase a Chrysler extended warranty (5yr) to cover future costs of this opda failure. Have almost recovered the cost of the service contract with two axle u-joints and a front drive shaft. This Wrangler is the most unreliable vehicle I have owned in 50 years.
njseifrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.