Ongoing headlight headache - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ongoing headlight headache

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrewy View Post
You should.just sell.it.and buy a XJ
And you should go back to http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...

Unread 11-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #17
skrewy

Just trying to help
skrewy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You’re right, those lights shouldn’t be overloading the circuit & it certainly could be a bad connection somewhere causing the cutting out. Still you have to isolate it. It is a process of elimination. Being intermittent complicates it. As WhiteMtnJeep noted, things are not always as they should be. Everything has to be checked.

You could add the wiring harness/relay kit & eliminate the possible overloaded circuit, then if they still cut out find the bad connection. That’s the other way to go.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrewy View Post
Just trying to help
I don't think so.

Have you read this? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fi...ofiles-402432/...
Unread 12-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
schnoomy5643
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the long period of silence. Was fairly busy with final exams and the holiday.

Anyways, I tried the 20A fuse and drove around during the day with my lights on. I'm unsure whether they flickered or not, but after a combined time of 2 hours on the road, the fuse was still good. So I put the 30A back in and I swapped back to the old sealed beams that I took out a year and a half ago (good thing they still worked, I didn't feel like going out and buying brand new ones just for the sake of testing this). I was doing my 150 mile drive back to school after a weekend at home and got a chance to test out the lights. For a while I was just running my marker lights (fog lights off) but then I had to turn on my headlights. Within about 5 minutes, they cut out. I pushed the switch in to turn them off and turned my fogs on so I had some light, then I turned the headlights back on and they seemed to work for the rest of the trip. I didn't notice them go out any of the other times I was doing some short 20 minute drives for the next two weeks. Fog lights were off for those drives I think. I was on another long drive though and had to turn my headlights on, and they cut out within 5 minutes again. I did the same thing as last time, and they stayed on no problem the last hour of the trip.

FF to today and another 150 mile trip. I had my marker lights (no fogs) on for about 20 minutes, then turned my headlights on for the last hour of the trip. Zero problems. got to my destination, jeep was off for about 20 minutes, then I drove another 30 minutes with my headlights on the whole time. Zero problems again. Going the return 30 minutes after having dinner, they cut out again.

This is really driving me nuts. Should I just go ahead and replace the relays that are involved in these circuits? Should I install a relay kit/wire harness to take the load off of the main switch?
schnoomy5643 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.