One upgrade at a time? or all at once? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > One upgrade at a time? or all at once?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
JeepMonky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

One upgrade at a time? or all at once?

I bought my Jeep in the middle of last winter and I love it. But the previous owner must have been a complete moron. Some things I find in regular maintenance scare me( Radiator held on by two bolts, scary wiring jobs everywhere). Also found that it may have been in a front end accident by some things not lining up. Anyways, I think it has about 3.5 inches of lift( just springs, everything else appears stock). I need some adj rear uppers for the cv shaft and I also need some new shocks.
Seeing as how I find new suprises everytime I work on her should I just go for a new llift package( was thinking the 4 inch rough country x flex w/ the 2.2 shocks) with all the hardware so I know whats going on under there ( and make it more my jeep at the same time) OR just replace one thing at a time?

JeepMonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt he has 3.5 inch springs and stock shocks. But if his suspension components are still good, its not like the guy could have made a lift install dangerous you know? The coils pop in and the shocks bolt on. If you think you need a new lift, then get one, but I dont see a real need for one.
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
JeepMonky
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The shocks are spray painted and rusting through that I don't they're doing too much at this point anyway. I just don't wanna buy this and then that and whatnot, then realize down the line I would have been better off and saved some $$$ if I bought it all at once. I just get weird vibes and things clunk around sometimes that I can't find. Maybe its just peace of mind I'm looking for, haha.
JeepMonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
snowrydr01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i think the piece by piece Vs all at once argument really depends on what your end goal is.....

If you are happy with where its at and are going to keep it the size lift and tire it is now then part by part is certainly doable, however if you plan on going bigger at some point then i would suggest just waiting and only spending the money once
snowrydr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Rubikahn

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrydr01 View Post
i think the piece by piece Vs all at once argument really depends on what your end goal is.....

If you are happy with where its at and are going to keep it the size lift and tire it is now then part by part is certainly doable, however if you plan on going bigger at some point then i would suggest just waiting and only spending the money once
x2 I agree. I bought a bb with some crappy shocks when I did my first lift. Was a waste of money for me. I would have been $250 closer to what I have now if I had waited.
OME ZJ/LJ lift, 33" MT MTZ on AR-23 wheels, front and rear JKS trackbars, 1" seat risers, MORE 1" BL and MML, factory Ipod adapter. Light khaki jeep club #72
Rubikahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would just buy new shocks.

Its unlikely you need new springs.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
jerseyjeep22
1997 TJ Wrangler 

honestly, if money isn't a huge issue for you, then look around, figure out what your goal setup is, and then just build for that. If that includes these springs then just get new shocks, if you want more/less lift than start thinking about a whole new set up. It all depends on what your goal is.
jerseyjeep22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build , help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.