one ton swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > one ton swap

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
jeeperz258
2004 TJ Wrangler 

one ton swap

what would be the best one ton axles to swap into a tj wrangler???

jeeperz258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ones that do what you need them to. Might wanna start doing some research.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The easiest would be a Dana 44 from a TJ. But that is not a 1 ton axle.

The cheapest would be a Chevy 14 bolt in the back and a Ford Dana 60 in the front. If it were me, I'd leave them full width. Now realize, with the pumpkins hanging as low as they do especially on the 14 bolt, you need to run at least a 37" tire for clearance on the trail.
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Best axles depends on your plans. As stated 1 tons require a decent tire. Steering will also need upgraded too.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Get some Dynatrac's! Otherwise there a number of options.
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Best how?

What is your goal tire size and usage?

You want easy bolt in axle for 38" tires? Get some Currie RokJocks..

More info is needed as to your goals and skill set.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #7
SCchillipepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

40 spline Nine inch Spyder9, ruffstuff or diamond axle fab housing, Front ARB rear spool, 300M Shafts, Mega Hi9 Front, your choice rear drop out.
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCchillipepper View Post
40 spline Nine inch Spyder9, ruffstuff or diamond axle fab housing, Front ARB rear spool, 300M Shafts, Mega Hi9 Front, your choice rear drop out.
He didn't mention if he had recently won the lottery

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I like the way you think. but why cheap out so much with the RuffStuff housing, why not go with Overkill Engineering Atomic Axles?

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #10
SCchillipepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

He said best I just got carried away 78-79 Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear. 14 is strong and as long as u run 40s you'll have the clearance. 60 good size and 35 inners 30 outers.
Unread 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What about the Dynatrac/Mopar Portals?
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #12
SCchillipepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
What about the Dynatrac/Mopar Portals?
Eh no 40 spline
Unread 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Eh no 40 spline
I'll settle for 35/41 combo for the extra clearance of the portals
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
rckchucker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you run anything smaller than a 40 with a 14 bolt you will drag it over everything. And you still will with 40's. Contrary to popular belief, the 78-79 D60 sucks in a TJ. Certainly there is more room to put a spring perch if you are running coils, but the pumpkin is so centered that you will run into issues with driveshaft clearance and the axle getting into radiator hoses. Your uptravel is more limited that with other front 60's. I have put the late 80's and early 90's Ford king pin 60's in TJ's and they work better. There is still plenty of room to put in a coil bucket. And unless you are breaking parts every time you go out, why get one tons? They are heavy. Your Jeep will be less streetable and your gas mileage will go down. They aren't cheap either. Teraflex, currie and dynatrac all offer bolt in 60's for a TJ and they are pricy, but unless you can do your own work setting up gears, lockers, and brackets, a set of junk yard one tons is not much cheaper.

That said. I'm part of the DD one ton club and I would never go back. My poor Dana 30 (RIP) couldn't handle what I threw at it. Do some research. Google Ultimate wrangler build up and swaps thread to keep you busy from now until your old.
rckchucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like the sterling 10.25" over a 14 bff. Slightly less ground clearance then a 60, but much more then the 14 bff. You can also get a newer 10.5" with disc brakes, but need to have it drilled for the 8 on 6.5 pattern due to it being metric. The 05+ super duty 60 came with 35 spline outers as well, so it's a good one if you want to spend the coin. If it were me it would be front and rear ford 9" up to 40" tires. 35 down would be what I have now.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.