one radiator for all tj engines and transmissions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > one radiator for all tj engines and transmissions?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 04-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

one radiator for all tj engines and transmissions?

hi jeepers!!! the radiator of my jeep is about to blow on the side and i would like to get an upgraded aftermarket cooler. i have a 2.4l engine on my tj with an auto tranny. i dont know why my choice of radiators are limited (it always shows coolers for the 2.5 or 4.0).
should it be only one radiator for all the jeeps? does the transmission plays on the choices? im completelly ignorant about. i wanna know the most possibly since i wanna make a wise buy (duh, like im the only one).
right know im adding water everyday but i wanna check the choices i have.

thanks anybody in advance.

Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, you're going to need one for an automatic transmission because it has lines going in and out of it for the AT fluid.

Buy Mopar!

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 03:33 AM   #3
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

A spectre rad is the same for all models, as far as I know. I imagine OEM would be the same too; the spectre includes an AT cooler, but if you have a manual you just leave it plugged.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
Yes, you're going to need one for an automatic transmission because it has lines going in and out of it for the AT fluid.

Buy Mopar!
X2 OEM is the best you can buy for your JEEP.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
bobjp

It's the same radiator. If you had a manual trans, there would be extra holes you would not have used.

Why do you feel you need an upgrade? The stock radiators cool just fine. As mentioned, OEM is probably the best option. Depending on how you use your Jeep and how mechanically inclined you are, you should not rule out aftermarket stock spec radiators from any given auto parts store. I choose aftermarket because it is cheaper, free replacements, and I'm willing to do the work myself.
Unread 04-04-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
It's the same radiator. If you had a manual trans, there would be extra holes you would not have used.

Why do you feel you need an upgrade? The stock radiators cool just fine. As mentioned, OEM is probably the best option. Depending on how you use your Jeep and how mechanically inclined you are, you should not rule out aftermarket stock spec radiators from any given auto parts store. I choose aftermarket because it is cheaper, free replacements, and I'm willing to do the work myself.
Yeah, because you will need those free replacements frequently thus building your wrenching skills.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

if you have the $, I am a bif fan of this radiator and have ran it for over 2 years trouble free:

http://www.mishimoto.com/jeep-wrangl...tor-87-06.html
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparke4 View Post
if you have the $, I am a bif fan of this radiator and have ran it for over 2 years trouble free:

Does it cool better than stock?
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #9
bobjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Yeah, because you will need those free replacements frequently thus building your wrenching skills.
Which is why I said he should consider how mechanically inclined he is and how he uses his Jeep.

I got 110,000 miles out of my aftermarket radiator, and 150,000 out of the original OEM. I am okay with replacing my radiator every 110,000 miles if it is free. They give you plenty of warning when they are ready to go. I would not be okay with replacing it every 30,000 miles.
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
Which is why I said he should consider how mechanically inclined he is and how he uses his Jeep.

I got 110,000 miles out of my aftermarket radiator, and 150,000 out of the original OEM. I am okay with replacing my radiator every 110,000 miles if it is free. They give you plenty of warning when they are ready to go. I would not be okay with replacing it every 30,000 miles.
You did very good then. Never hurts to keep up on your wrenching skills.
Unread 04-05-2014, 05:05 AM   #11
Sudcalifornio
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I have the 2.4l engine, shows it is for the 2.5l and 4.0l
Sudcalifornio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #12
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Does it cool better than stock?
mine does run a couple degrees lower using a 50/50 ratio of coolant. plus it actually holds more than stock and doesnt leak!
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #13
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
mine does run a couple degrees lower using a 50/50 ratio of coolant. plus it actually holds more than stock and doesnt leak!
My OEM does the exact same thing for about half as much $$$. Doesn't matter if a radiator holds 900 gallons or 2 gallons. If it cools to around 210 then that's all it can do. Oh yeah, mine doesn't leak either!!
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #14
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

The thermostat controls temperature. The OEM radiator is capable of cooling to well below 210; the thermostat keeps that from happening because the ideal temperature is 210. Cooler isn't necessarily better. Your engine and its' systems are built to a very specific design to optimize fuel efficiency, life of the engine, etc.. It expects to ramp in temperature at a certain rate and for the radiator to cool at a certain rate with the thermostat controlling it to the optimum temperature. It isn't going to perform any better because you install a radiator that "cools better".
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2.4 , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.