Onboard Misting System - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Onboard Misting System

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #46
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie25
My setup does not use OBA, it uses an RV pump. Since you are local I would be happy to meat for a beer, and you could see it first hand.
I think I am going to take you up on that. I've been wanting to do this to mine for a while now. I guess I mis-read your original post, and I just saw your inital design was for the OBA. I'd like to try to do this though...I'll keep in contact with you and hopefully we can meet up sometime.

REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #47
Bulldoze95
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hehe this reminds me of an idea I had years ago. I had a 73 bronco and wanted to do this exact same thing. I wound up using a windshield washer fluid container and pump from a wrecking yard and wired it all up. The concept was simple, press a button, the pump fires and you get a cooling mist.

Instead I got 10 squirt guns shooting me in the face all at the same time.
Unread 06-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #48
Signalsoldier

I got a question for you OP.

If you have a bikini top installed for shade...... does that effect your airflow in order words does it effect the vortex in the rear that pushes the mist toward the front?
Signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #49
Boreal
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Very cool idea. Does anyone have a better idea of about how much water you're using? I plan on wheeling topless this summer out in the desert, and some of our rides are all-day events. I imagine 5 gallons would be plenty to last through a ride, but if I could get away with 1 gallon... even better.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #50
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have 2 misters that push .75 gallons an hour each so the 5 gallon tank would last you about 3 hours
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #51
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldoze95
hehe this reminds me of an idea I had years ago. I had a 73 bronco and wanted to do this exact same thing. I wound up using a windshield washer fluid container and pump from a wrecking yard and wired it all up. The concept was simple, press a button, the pump fires and you get a cooling mist.

Instead I got 10 squirt guns shooting me in the face all at the same time.

Did the washer pump work ok? I've got one sitting around I can use if it does.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #52
UTmike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalsoldier
I got a question for you OP.

If you have a bikini top installed for shade...... does that effect your airflow in order words does it effect the vortex in the rear that pushes the mist toward the front?
No. I have a bikini top and a safari top that I've used with the misters and you still get wet w/both of them.
4.5" RE SF Lift, 1" BL, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT, Lockrite Locker, 8.8 Rear, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, Sliders, Skids, Bumpers, Rear Stinger, RockCrusher Diff Covers, 8000# Winch, Herc'd Tub, Homemade Deck Cover, On Board Misting System and Faucet
UTmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2007, 05:21 PM   #53
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have used it a few times since I built it, and it has worked well every time. Today I got to mist the wife for the first time (great fun). She hated it, but she hates the whole Jeep, so I am not suprised. Next time I will have to marry a Jeep girl.

I usually only put the half top up if it is raining, so I never tried misting with it up. Today I tried it, and it works fine.

So far it has not been hot enough to run it continuously, only for a minute or so at a time every few minutes. I still have 95% of the original 5 gallons I put in.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #54
joker713
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to revive this thread from the dead. What was your final verdict on the effectiveness of this system? Are you still running it? Any problems you've encountered?

I'd really like to do this and would love some input. I just moved up to Redding, CA and it has been 103 degrees out the last 3 days in a row. I am not used to this kind of heat and would love some relief from it. I do a lot of driving with myself and my dog, and this would really be amazing.

Also, what do you guys think of using the center console as the water tank? If i was to make it water tight would it have a high enough capacity to be effective? I don't use mine for anything (the lock is broken) and would love to use that space.
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #55
joker713
1998 TJ Wrangler 

bump hoping for response
Unread 06-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #56
stogie25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am still using it. I just hooked it up for the year this week. It works really well if the Jeep is moving, but sitting still the mist does not get to me. If I move the nozzles closer to me I just get wet. I have found that misting offroad makes mud.

I use my gas can as the water tank. I have tried moving it around but it wants to be above the pump to create enough pressure to mist. I think your center console might be to low. If you got a strong enough pump it would work. As far as the size of the tank, I fill the 5 gallon gas can once a summer.
97 Black TJ (one owner), BFG KM2 35s, 4.7L Stroker, ARB's, Dana60 rear, Dana30HP Front Warn manual hub conversion, 6 inch mostly Tera long arm lift. Rhino lined tub. Allied Rock 8 beadlocks. Tera-Low 4:1. Sanden OBA. Sniperfab tube fenders.

My Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m.../#post12717920
stogie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #57
Wrangler2012
1990 YJ Wrangler 

id like a reply on the windshield washer fluid pump. i could easily get two of those with dual pumps-used for front and rear wipers-from a junkyard and position it so i can select who gets the mist and it would be cheaper than an RV pump. anybody know how well it works? and why is everybody talking about humidity? i dont see how that would affect it. Im from PA and we have very humid days, but also very dry days.
Wrangler2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.